AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I read some where that they were going to design and manufacture the DST3100 in-house.

Hopefully it will be as good as Hughes.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i like the direction they are going with the features. yes, i wish there was a firewire output, but i doubt we see any stb with it.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The upcoming Samsung OTA is the only STB I know of w/Firewire.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Unreal. Yet another 800.00 MSRP tuner huh? And people actually wonder why theres such a stupidly small number of digital viewers out there? Between this and cable tv's ignorance you'd think their was a conspiracy out there.

Oh well. I'm off to go hammer some broadcasters for not being on air. As if in reality it hardly even matters at this rate anyway.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Second and third generation boxes, and still in $700 to 900 range? Are there any industry insiders out there who can tell us exactly what the cost drivers are for these boxes? Are these prices really based on cost? Is it possible that the sell price is actually determined by marketing gurus on the basis of what the traffic bears? After all, the potential market consists of only a small group of enthusiasts (like AVS members) who don’t mind spending for their hobbies and why not suck it to them?

And those of us (with digital TV’s but no STB’s) who have been patiently waiting for realistically priced STB’s (comparable to DVD and CD players) to join the HDTV world once again are left out

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
FredB, your patient waiting may actually not be all in vain. Yes, this is another high-end high-priced STB with loads of features, but there are soon to be STBs available with less features and a lower price than anything available last year. Instead of only the high-end boxes available today, some vendors are going to a line of STBs which allow them to price them at half what Toshiba's model is. I am confident $300 STBs will be available by Christmas. Still not a low enough price but much better than last year.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:
Second and third generation boxes, and still in $700 to 900 range?
That pricing is stupid. It baffles me why this doesn't have a MSRP of at most $500.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beebe

That pricing is stupid. It baffles me why this doesn't have a MSRP of at most $500.
They are all overpriced IMO, but ... Assuming that this is another Hughes OEM, if I recall correctly, first came the Mits @ around $1000, then the tosh @ $700-$900 followed by the OEM Hughes at around $500. This may just be part of the pricing strat to maximize profits from people who must have the latest STB. After the OEM partners take the first rake with higher margins, Hughes comes in with lower priced equipment for the second tier customer while the OEM partners have the brand advantage and market presence while still priced higher. This is until the pricing normalizes where now you find the Tosh, Hughes and Philps for about the same price. I dont understand why the current Mits box is still priced so high, Mits must think that they brand pull through with Mits TV purchasers and thus can stick a higher sticker price and they customer will pay it.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm really under-whelmed.

I don't see how this would be useful for other rooms. Even though it simultaneously outputs Y Pr Pb and S-video, neither of these are appropriate for long runs. I would think an RF (channel 3) output would be necessary to send the output to remote TVs in the house. Plus there is an aspect ratio problem-- I wonder if this will correctly convert a widescreen presentation when handing off to an S-video output.

As for the connection to a stand alone TiVo- why do this? One could get a stand alone TiVo, and pay $13/month for it alone, or add another DirecTV receiver w/ Tivo for only an additional $5/month (extra receiver).

Maybe it won't lose custom channel lists and may actually not lose the program guide every week or so though. Now that would be an improvement! John

·
Registered
181 Posts
Forgive my apparent stupidity, but doesn't the DST-3000 support 720p? Isn't ABC's HD in 720p? I get ABC HD programs fine on my DST-3000 and they make this sound like supporting this format is something new? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulM9999
Forgive my apparent stupidity, but doesn't the DST-3000 support 720p? Isn't ABC's HD in 720p? I get ABC HD programs fine on my DST-3000 and they make this sound like supporting this format is something new? Am I missing something?
The dst-3000 will receive 720p but will upconvert it to 1080i on the component or downconvert to 480i on the composite outs.

The feature that many are looking for is support for 720p component output. For many projectors and plasma sets 720p is closer to the native resolution of these fixed resolution devices, ergo it should be a better picture.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dealers seem to be out of the DST-3000, right now, and say that they're getting a new model in. Is Toshiba on an offset fiscal year? Is it 4Q, already?

--Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: the pricing... I just checked the Toshiba website and the DST-3000 has an MSRP of $999, while the 3100 will have an MSRP of $799. If the street price follows the drop in the MSRP, the street price for the 3100 should be around $599, or $200 less than the 3000. So the price is dropping, though not just as fast as we might hope.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.