AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very exciting :) Looks like it'll pack a lot of recording/editing features. This will be a perfect upgrade for me from the Panny E20. The following especially sounds enticing...
Quote:
Once a program has been recorded on the RD-X2's HDD, users can edit with the addition of menus and chapters, with thumbnail images, then dub it directly to DVD-RAM disc at high speed (x2, x4 or x8).
Looks like no Firewire input though :(

Click here for news.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
More expansive than Panasonic DMR-HS1 but has no firewire. It has a bigger hard drive but I am sure it will not be too diffcult to put bigger hard drive into Panasonic.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CKNA, you're right. I didn't know the Panny DMR-HS1 would retail for less than the Tosh RD-X2. Cousins Video lists the Panny as $1,200 retail, while Tosh lists its unit for $1,500.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Brajesh,

Thanks for that great link!

Does anyone know if any of these players has D1 or DV or SDI inputs?

On the audio side, do any of them have multi-channel digital inputs?

Where I live, it is perfectly legal to make a home use backup of a given title you have bought and paid for - as long as it is reserved for your personal use.

This is why we also pay a hefty task on all recordable media!

So this question is pertinent for legitimate user requirements in the European Union.

Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
Panasonic can dub from hard drive to DVD-RAM disc up to 22x.
Where do we find more info about the Panasonic one?

and do any of these allow faster dubbing to DVD-R? For example, the link in the original message mentions fast dubbing to DVD-RAM too. I wonder if they're just advertizing the DVD-RAM more.. or if it's actually much slower to go to DVD-R.

My whole reason for wanting one of these over a DMR-E30 for example, is being able to record directly on the hard drive, edit it there, then dub out to cheaper DVD-Rs without loss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the E20 and will upgrade with one of the HD recorders and so far it looks like the Toshiba will be it. The editing features for burning to DVD-R is what I'm looking at. Being able to set my own chapter stops is a big thing for me as I have a lot of concert videos and LDs to transfer and I HATE the auto 5 minute stops on the E20 when doing this. Thumbnail frames for each chapter is really cool, too. Also like the audio choices, 1.0, 2.0 or PCM. I'll have a use for each. The only thing that has me wondering is the CBR. As I understand, the E20 is VBR and I think the quality in 1 & 2 hour mode is amazing. Even slightly over 2hr is great. But I wonder if the Toshiba will fall short in the quality area. The features are exactly what I want, but I won't take a cut in recording quality for them. Of course, if the Panny has all the stuff I want, I'll just go with that as I know the quality is great. But I talked briefly with a guy who has one and from what I gather, it does chapters the same as the E20.

Has anyone here seen the Toshiba in action? If so, how does the picture quality stack up?

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
AFAIK, no digital video or audio inputs on any of the new recorders.

It's interesting to see if someone (Tom Strade) will venture out and make SDI inputs or SDI outputs to some of the new recorders (e.g., Philips 985).

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Others here in this forum have mentioned that recording their old VHS tapes (home movies usually) has improved the image quality easily noticed during playback. There are other advantages to transfering recordings to small media such as DVD-R, one being the storage space these (don't) take as well as being able to load your media into a DVD changer for instant access at the touch of a button (luxury indeed).

Once again I must specify that these would be used only for personal home utilizations where it is established as being perfectly legal to do so.

For those wondering, this means no simultaneous playback on multiple displays even in the same home, no public viewings (other than normal home theater attendance). These are allowed only as long as you own an "original copy" for which you paid the use right on, and obviously no sale, gift, or even short or long term loans of your backup copies. :eek:

Please correct me if I'm wrong about these aspects of European legislation: last thing I'd want to do is cross the line.

If this is the case, then maybe European companies which operate SDI mods could offer such input/output mods to a DVD recorder? :cool:

Cheers,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.