AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Toshiba Brings World's First Slim HD DVD Rewritable Drive to Mobile PC'S

New HD DVD Rewrite Capabilities Turn Mobile PCs into Desktop Replacements with More Tools to Create High-Definition Content
Quote:
Toshiba Storage Device Division (SDD) today announced the world's first slim HD DVD-RW drive for mobile PCs, further extending high-definition recording capabilities to the IT arena. The new drive can read, write and rewrite to HD DVD-RW discs, as well as read and write to HD DVD-R discs and standard DVD and CD discs.

Toshiba's SD-L912A enables mobile PCs to replace larger desktop systems in the home with this additional high-definition functionality. The drive allows backup of large-capacity PC hard disk drives to the reusable format of HD DVD-RW discs and provides capabilities to store data-rich, high-definition digital content. HD DVD-RW functionality also opens the door to a wide range of applications involving storage and rewriting of large volumes of data.

"High-definition broadcasting and increasing consumer interest in high-definition televisions and camcorders are spurring demand for a high-definition experience across the entire PC and consumer electronics ecosystem," said Scott Maccabe, vice president and general manager of Toshiba Storage Device Division. "HD DVD is the best solution for transitioning to a high-definition world because it is compatible with existing DVD and CD technology. Our new rewritable drive will extend the functionality of HD DVD as a tool for creating and enjoying digital content in the mobile PC environment."

Scheduled for sample shipments in July, the SD-L912A supports high-speed read and write for standard DVD and CD discs, including the complete library of DVD and CD formats. The new drive is compliant with the EU RoHS(1) directive on environmentally hazardous substances, which came into effect in July 2006.

Toshiba will feature the SD-L912A at Computex 2007 in Taipei, Taiwan, June 5-9, in the Toshiba Digital Media Network Taiwan Corporation booth (#B1234). For more information on Toshiba's HD DVD offerings, visit www.toshibastorage.com .

Specifications

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Model name SD-L912A

Write

HD DVD-R SL(a): 2x; HD DVD-R DL(a): 1x

HD DVD-RW SL(a): 1x; HD DVD-RW DL(a): 1x

DVD-RAM: Max. 3x; DVD-R SL(a): Max. 4x

DVD-R DL(a): Max. 2x; DVD-RW: Max. 4x

DVD+R SL(a): Max. 4x; DVD+R DL(a): Max. 2.4x

Read/Write DVD+RW: Max. 4x; CD-R: Max. 16x

speed CD-RW: 4x; High Speed CD-RW: Max. 10x

Ultra Speed CD-RW: 10x

Read

HD DVD-R SL(a): 2.4x; HD DVD-R DL(a): 1x

HD DVD-RW SL(a) :1x, HD DVD-RW DL(a): 1x

HD DVD-ROM: 2.4x

DVD: Max. 8x; CD: Max. 24x

Interface ATAPI

Buffer capacity 8MB

MTBF 60,000 hours

Power source +5V (allowance +/-5%)

Operating 5-50 degrees C (excluding media)

temperature

External

dimensions 128.0mm x 12.7mm x 126.0mm

(W x H x D)

Weight 170g (typical)

(a) SL: single layer: DL: dual layer

·
Registered
473 Posts
Let me know when and where you can buy one of these things or ANY HD DVD writer for that matter.

I am an HD DVD supporter, but the lack of writeable drives is KILLING me right now. Toshiba announced MONTHS ago that a HD DVD RW drive would be available by January/February. Guess what? NADA!

What kills me is that I can go to any number of stores in my area and buy blank HD DVD media! Where's the freakin hardware!??!!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Yeah it's weird, i mean you can buy a BluRay writer for 399.99$ if you shop around (my friend paid is Sony that price) and blank are 11$(CAD) each in bulk of 5 and DL are 45$ .. LOL!

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Hmmm... Slim is good, but it's a tray-load 12.7 mm drive.

I'm not interested until it's slot-load, and slim enough (9.5 mm) to fit into a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

·
Registered
473 Posts
All the Staples, Office Max's, and Office Depot's around here sell them. Memorex "1 packs" under $20 each. Not bad...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm 100% pro HD DVD, but Toshiba has got to get the PC end going. Frankly, I'm a bit anoyed by the "sample shipments" line. I seem to recall reading that line about one of their other burns months ago. Its now June 4 and they'll send sample shipments in July? July 1st? 30th? What are we talking about, August or September before people can actually buy these if we're lucky?

And while I'm ranting, they've got to get those write speeds up. HD DVD is an absolutely outstanding home video standard, no doubt about it. But on the PC side Blu-Ray is cleaning up. For cutting edge technology, the BD burners are actually pretty affordable, write speeds have already gone up a couple of times, prices seem to be dropping nicely and there are quite a few software packages that support BD burning now. Come on, Adobe's newest Encore will burn BD discs but no HD DVD support whatsoever (not even for 3X DVD based HD).

I think at the absolute very least Toshiba and/or Microsoft should have worked hard to get 3X authoring and burning into a couple of established DVD programs.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd /forum/post/0

I think at the absolute very least Toshiba and/or Microsoft should have worked hard to get 3X authoring and burning into a couple of established DVD programs.

FWIW, it's already present in DVD Studio Pro on the Mac side. However, while AVC H.264 is supported, VC-1 currently is not.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

FWIW, it's already present in DVD Studio Pro on the Mac side. However, while AVC H.264 is supported, VC-1 currently is not.

Kudos to Apple on that one. I'm 100% windows, so no go for me

I've fiddled with MovieFactory and while I applaud them for including BD and HD DVD support in such an affordable product... well, you kinda get about what you'd expect at that price point.

I've got an HD wedding I'm shooting in September and I'm really hoping that there's some more quality solutions at that point. Fortunately its a friend of mine getting married, so he won't mind if he gets an iffy quality MovieFactory HD DVD first and a nicer version down the road.

Overall for now though, HD DVD is practically stillborn in the independent videographer market.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Mitsubishi/Verbatim was supposed to make a 30 GB HD DVD-R , but I haven't seen it yet.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd /forum/post/0

I've got an HD wedding I'm shooting in September and I'm really hoping that there's some more quality solutions at that point. Fortunately its a friend of mine getting married, so he won't mind if he gets an iffy quality MovieFactory HD DVD first and a nicer version down the road.

Overall for now though, HD DVD is practically stillborn in the independent videographer market.

Both formats are stillborn if you can't protect your content. For unprotected content, there's no denying 2 hours on BD versus (3) DVD-9's for 120 minutes on HD-DVD (currently), and neither one is professionally authored to an advanced degree. A lean toward BD, but both formats have far to go.

Neither format is mainstream, so the wedding videographer need only offer the delivery option if requested.

Personally, I think divorce court videos in SD are much more interesting to watch than wedding videos in HD, so bear in mind these things are only going to get watched a few times at most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts