AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here. I've been religiously reading these forums for about three weeks now and would like to thank everyone for the valuable information they have provided. For the record I will take the plunge and invest in an HDTV monitor even though things are a bit up in the air right now. I plan on buying the Toshiba 50h81 and contacted Toshiba Canada concerning the DVI/HDCP issues discussed on this forum. Here is their response, take it as you will, I don't necessarily agree with everything they say. I don't watch many PPV movies anyway, hopefully that will be the only area affected. once again thanks for the great info.

Hello:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our TV Product Manager informs me that the lst possible application for this digital

connection would be approximately 2 years from now in the U.S.A. for Direct TV subscribers

only. The earliest possible application in Canada is probably 5 years away. Mainstream use

of this would be 10 - 15 years from now.

Therefore, there is no issue in Canada at this point. We are monitoring/investigating these

issues.

Regards,

Norma

Customer Service

[This message has been edited by luc (edited 08-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
they sure did. The lady probably doesen't even know what she's talking about (not saying this only because she's a lady).

The Toshiba is a good set luc, you should be happy with it. The few hundred dollars more you're spending vs buying a similar analog set is a worthwhile investment.

------------------

Serge

Acurus Act-3 ABM processor

B&K AV 5000 II

Monitor Audio Silver 5's, silver center and silver 3's(rears)

HSU VTF 2 subwoofer

Toshiba DVD/cd

Mitsubishi LVP X70 FPTV

Dalite High Contrast Da-mat 16:9 grey screen

RCA DTC 100

HTPC consisting of Duron 750, AOpen AK 73Pro motherboard, Radeon LE video and SBLive! Value II sound

Extron VGA SW2 switcher
s>

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If no manufacturers put a DVI interface on their TVs, there won't ever be any problem. So far, only JVC has implemented this on one set. All the others are, so far, refusing.

And don't forget that the worse that will ever happen is that a 1920x1080 signal will be converted to a 960x540 signal (then probably back to 1920x1080). 960x540 is probably much closer to the actual resolution most of today's HD sets are capable of anyway.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyG:
And don't forget that the worse that will ever happen is that a 1920x1080 signal will be converted to a 960x540 signal (then probably back to 1920x1080).
If the 540 you are referring to is 540p then most sets will just display it as is (since 1080i and 540p have the same scan rate) so their won't be any conversion.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yes, 540p. It's compatibility with 1080i sets is precisely why that resolution was chosen. I'm guessing though that many set-top manufacturers will convert this back to 1920x1080i if for no other reason than it's a higher number (marketing!).

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.