AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba CF27H50 CRT TV that's about 10 years old and has always worked perfectly up until today. A few months ago, I started to hear a very occasional single "pop" sound that sounded like a possible "arc". Today, while I was watching it, the screen suddenly went blank except for a single, bright horizontal line (about 1/8 thick) located halfway down the screen and spanning the complete width of the screen. The problem is solid and not intermittent. Up until that happened, the picture had always been perfectly clear, absolutely great. The audio is still fine and has not been affected.

I tried vacuuming out the inside in case dust accumulating was the problem but that made no difference. I certainly expected the set to last more than 10 years but it looks like a lack of high voltage for the vertical aspect of the picture might be the problem. I'd like to salvage it if possible because as I said previously, it always had a great pix (almost as good as a new TV) up until this happened. Oris it just so old that I need to think about replacing it and not bothering to fix it (it's obviously no longer under any warranty.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Avoid running the set like this, the CRT can get a burn line on it very easily. Look for bad soldering on the Vertical output IC, or any other place on the bottom of the board. I have repaired Sharp and Mitsubishis that had a similar problem. It could be a bad capacitor, resistor or Vertical IC as well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I could make the line disappear and re-appear by tapping the circuit board but the best I could end up with was a completely blank screen. I removed the circuit board and looked for cold solder joints or breaks in the pattern and could find none.

I don't have the tools or the expertise to locate a specific failing component and a service call would not be cost justified given the set's age. Since the situation looks terminal, it's headed for the dumpster and I've already ordered a flat panel HD replacement.

Unfortunately, this is the first TV set that I've owned that hasn't lasted at least 15 years. Guess they don't make them like they used to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts