AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the new toshiba D-R410 dvd recorder and am having problems. When i go to the specified channels It is just blue and i can't get it connectd properly here is the pic of the back of my tv. I also have a digital cable box from my television company and was wondering if i had to connect it to that, but my old vcr doesn't so i dont see why this won't and what i'm doing wrong. i have the 3 cables pluggeds into to my tv and back into the dvd recorder and still can't record. I can watch DVD's and even record but when im done it's just black. Any help here are some PICS

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Can't see what connections you are using there but you can't record from the TV. You need to connect your program source to the DVDR and connect that to the TV' Some more people will chime in to help you with the wiring. The 410 is pretty nice and you're going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
You have to connect your cable box to the D-R410, not your TV. Use the yellow/white/red cables, aka composite to hook up the OUTPUTS of the cable box into the INPUTS in the back of the D-R410. Pretty sure the instructions that come with it talk about how to connect it to your TV, and describe a couple different scenarios, with a cable box/VCR included in the setup....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well how would i hook them up to my cable box because it doesnt have any plugins that i could really use. My Dad and me are really good at hooking stuff up and im good with almost anything electronic, but hooking this up just makes me feel so dumb.

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Your dad will need to get a special cable that goes in the that multi-pin port above the coax out. I'm guessing he'll have to ask your cable company for it, because it doesn't look like any connector I've ever seen. It will have the yellow s-video and red/white audio you need to plug into the IN on your toshiba. That's the only way to get picture/sound FROM the cable box TO the recorder. You currently have only the component video OUT from the toshiba IN to your TV. That's how you can see DVD's but nothing else, because you have nothing connected to the input of your toshiba.

From the picture I can't see how you can watch cable at all or even use the internet since the cable box input apparently isn't connected to anything. Nor do I see how you are getting any sound from the toshiba unless you're going straight to a receiver.

I'm guessing you've split the coax from the wall and connected it to your VCR. The VCR then uses it's own internal tuner for recording. The toshiba has no tuner, so you can only record what you are watching on cable (after you've connected it properly). If that won't work for you, you'll need to get a different recorder with a built-in tuner. In that case it will work like your VCR if you connect it the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts