AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba D-R5 recorder and a SA 8800 HD reciever which is my recording source.

They are connected via s-video (when will HD recoders be released?!?!?!)..

When i record ANYTHING from my SA 8800 .. it gets letterboxed on the D-R5. When i record a letterboxed movie.. it's worse.. it is letterboxed letterboxed!!

This happens wheter i playback on the D-r5 or on any other dvd player in the house ( pc/laptop/360/ps3/sony dr-995 etc etc etc .)

Anyone have an idea on what settings i have wrong here!??!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The SA8300HD outputs letterboxed via s-video. It outputs full 16x9 widescreen via component. For full widescfreen from the SA8300HD you need a DVD recorder with component inputs or a component to s-video converter.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/0

When i record ANYTHING from my SA 8800 .. it gets letterboxed on the D-R5.

Recorders just record what they are sent, possibly ignoring any information that tells it the aspect ratio. So it gets recorded as 4:3 in most cases. If the cable box is sending the signal with black bars then those get recorded. You'll know that the cable box is sending the signal with black bars by simply looking at the signal from the cable box (through the recorder if you like). The recorder does not add letterboxing, except perhaps on playback, and even then only if you play back material marked as 16:9 on a 4:3 display (and you have told the recorder that you have a 4:3 display connected).

If your cable box is outputting 4:3 material over S-Video, it should not be letterboxed. So when you say ANYTHING gets letterboxed, are you talking about this situation? Just pick a normal channel, not HD, and have a look at it through the recorder, make sure there are no black bars then, record it, play it back, it should look the same as when you were recording it. No black bars.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Good points. I was referring to HD channels in my response which is not very clear now that I read it. I was also assuming a 16x9 display which may be incorrect. Although based on how common this question is becoming and the symptoms described I'll bet this is the full widescreen component versus letterboxed s-video issue with the SA8300HD.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info but. my display is a GWII 60" .. my source is generally always HD (most of the things i record is in hd format). I only have the svideo or the "yellow" rca plug on my recorder. Note this seems to only be an issue on output recroded from the DVR.. if i record from the cable source directly (meaning non didgital signals) it is fine ..

So it looks like instead of using the s-video i should use the "yellow" cable. (i am always confusing composite and component)...

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou /forum/post/0

Thanks for the info but. my display is a GWII 60" .. my source is generally always HD (most of the things i record is in hd format). I only have the svideo or the "yellow" rca plug on my recorder. Note this seems to only be an issue on output recroded from the DVR.. if i record from the cable source directly (meaning non didgital signals) it is fine ..

So it looks like instead of using the s-video i should use the "yellow" cable. (i am always confusing composite and component)...

No. You need a recorder with component inputs or a component to s-video converter. Not the yellow one which is composite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.