AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not to be overly rude, but...

Would you PLEASE STOP POSTING the same question in every freaking thread?!

There... Now I feel better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They aren't available at any of the major retailers (coming soon to Circuit City), so I don't think you'll get many comments. I've been waiting for Toshiba to post their manual, but they haven't yet. Someone posted that Toshiba Canada sometimes has manuals that aren't on the US site, but no luck there either.

·
Registered
182 Posts
been using a new 550 that I bought at the CC website just about a week ago. Paid the extra $4.99 for FEDEX shipping and it arrived two days later. It's a great recorder. Runs comparatively cool to the touch, avoiding the heat-related failures that seem to be affecting the newest Panasonic DVDRs. Very easy to program for timed recordings. Picked up all of the network and PBS HD channels plus a few other UHF channels on the first scan. Transfers from VHS through the S-video connection are formatted widescreen and look great in XP, good in SP and better than fair in LP. the 550 appears to be reading the anamorphic flag in HD rcordings off my cable HDDVR. It letterboxes those recordings but I use my upscaling DVD player's vertical zoom to bump the images up to full screen with little distortion. I bought the 550 base on my brief but favorable experience with a toshiba D-R400(tunerless) which I had acquired to replace a Panasonis EZ47VK, a unit that never made it out of the box due to the reports of heat-related chip failures. The verdict? I'm going to purchase another 550 to create a two-tuner time shift capability, dump my cable and DVR fees and live happily ever after with the slight decrease in picture quality. Toshiba makes a great ATSC-tuner-equipped DVDR and I'd recommend it to anyone. To date, it doesn't even seem to over-react to any copy-once, HDCP or Macrovision flags as do some of the new Panasonics and Sonys. It's priced lower than both those brands as well. Come on already: buy one.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
No thanks, I'm perfectly happy with my Panasonic EZ-17, with NO heat-related failure, or overreactive copy protection. Enjoy your Toshiba.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara /forum/post/11994793

No thanks, I'm perfectly happy with my Panasonic EZ-17, with NO heat-related failure, or overreactive copy protection. Enjoy your Toshiba.

Ricookoo Gazzarason,

You need not defend your god Pan at every turn. Your shares in the Pan Dynasty are still safe in your Tokyo vaults, still guarded by your loyal Ninjas who will defend your shares with their lives and their ****zu blades!

May the gods of your Pan ancestors be with you always!

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's good to hear a rebuttal from a man loyal to his brand (Panasonic) but the guy who started this thread was looking for information on the Toshiba D-R550. I own one. My experience with this new recorder have exceeded my expectations across the board. My recommendation, based on personal experience with the product AND the noticable absence of any postings in this section of the AVS Forum containing negative reports about Toshiba's latest DVDRs, remains the same.Panasonic-bashing wasn't my intent in detailing the process that led me to my final purchase. Forget not that a Panasonic EZ47VK was my first choice. I simply chose not to ignore postings regarding the product, including two by service techs, that disclosed heat-related failures of the LSI microprocessor chip (known as the Domino3 chip I believe). One of those techs included photographs of heat sink installation over the chip in an effort to get them to run cooler and not freeze the recorder itself. I personally hope the reports are overblown or apply to just a few Panasonic units. I elected not to risk that my unit was one of them.

To me, it's all in keeping with the purpose and primary benefit of this entire Forum: securing information on various brands and products, doing your own research and then selecting the product that appears best for you. So I read what I read. I did what i did. I adhere to my recommendation to the guy who started this thread: buy a Toshiba D-R550. To all dissenters I say: "May your Panasonics run cool and forever." Please post to this Forum if they do because I haven't made a final decision about the second ATSC-equipped recorder I intend to buy for time-shifting purposes.

A final glowing report about MY favorite brand: I recorded the Law and Order:SVU episode OTA last night at XP speed. The flawless wide screen recording played back in my LG upscaling DVD player(hacked using information from the VideoHelp.com forum) through component video yielded a picture quality identical to HD. Yeah, Toshiba!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have several Toshiba units (XS-35, D-R5, D-KR10/D-R400) and they are tops with excellent picture quality on all outputs. Even the output on composite (RCA) is very good, component is superb. I don't have an HDMI capable TV/Monitor yet, so no way to test that aspect, but hardly needed in my setup. I have heard good things about Toshiba PQ from many sources and it has proven true. Only my Sony HX900 beats them and it's a close call.

Like most brands, the build quality on newer units seems a little cheaper to me, but still very good (and burner quality may even be improved). The picture quality seems consistent across models (as far as I can tell based on those listed above). Only issue I have is that all models seem to share the same remote code set (with the exception of the more expensive models like the XS-35/55 which can use one of 3 code sets) and this makes controlling mutliple units in the same setup quite a challenge.

Good luck!

Bron

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bron: Encouraging to hear from another Toshiba owner whose high opinion of and favorable experience with the brand matches my own. You're right about the multiple unit/remote problem. My solution is going to be a small felt cover for the remote pickup of one unit when I'm programming or operating the other. I just ordered a second D-R550 from Circuit City Online. Once it arrives and I confirm that it's good to go, Comcast gets my cancellation notice. My total investment in DVDR's will be about $420. I'l recoup that in less than five months of no cable charges.

kef1096: have you made a purchase decision yet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to see a thread about this product. I looked for some info. on it about a month ago (with little success) when I was contemplating on which dvd recorder to buy and decided on the DR550 based on the features it had. I wanted a dvd recorder that had a digital tuner, and could record/pause "live" TV via a DVD-RAM or -RW. This model has done everything I have asked of it since I made the purchase (which isn't a whole lot at this point). It picks up all of the digital OTA broadcasts that my Emerson HDTV does, and it will "pause" live TV with the use of a DVD-RW. The only drawback I have run into is it forgets the digital OTA channels if the antenna is moved, whereas my HDTV retains the channels in it's memory. I am planning on using this unit to feed other rooms in my house so that I can receive the free OTA broadcasts in each room (even rooms w/out an HDTV), so that I don't have to move my antenna anymore.

I purchased my unit from Target.com. They were about $30 cheaper (at the time) than Circuit City.com and the service plan seemed to be cheaper as well. I got mine for $189. Since I'm a newbie I apparently can't post links yet, but I would check into the price difference from Target & Circuit City. I got mine in about 4 days from Target. I would definitely recommend this unit as of now.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/12020438

Bron: Encouraging to hear from another Toshiba owner whose high opinion of and favorable experience with the brand matches my own. You're right about the... Comcast gets my cancellation notice. My total investment in DVDR's will be about $420. I'l recoup that in less than five months of no cable charges.

Yes, if you're not a Pio or Panny man then you are in the minority here.

I was very impressed with the composite output which is crap on many recorders. The R400 has pass through on the composite ports (meaning that it can be turned off and you can still view the output from the tuner [cable/satellite or whatever] on the inputs. Very handy in some situations.

And the DVD Menus are much better than most players. Good editing features (title split/combine, playlists, etc.) Great value for the money.

I take it that after you drop Comcast (hate them as much as I do, do ya?), you will be getting everything OTA? They may drive me to go that route yet. I would have except that we have pretty limited OTA in my area and I am surrounded by trees which means tweaking the antenna a lot. (I have a Samsung OTA HD unit but have just played with it really.)

Cheers!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Affirmative on the OTA only Bron. Fortunately, my Terk 50 amplified indoor antenna picks up all of the major and minor network signals plus two PBS HD channels like the towers were right next door. Actually, all of the towers are within twelve or thirteen miles of my set. I also have a chimney mount that used to hold a DTV dish still in place to accomodate an outdoor antenna if winter weather impacts negatively on my signal strength(s). Yeah, I think I'll miss the variety of cable and the convenience of an HDDVR several times a month. But the $85 or so per month that I'll save by dumping Comcast should ease the pain somewhat. Toshiba uber alles!

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCA don /forum/post/12032096

But the $85 or so per month that I'll save by dumping Comcast should ease the pain somewhat. Toshiba uber alles!

You know, all you really needed all that time to get pretty much what you have now, along with the digital-tunered recorder, was their $15.00 limited basic lifeline tier.

Did you not realize this all that time you were paying $85.00+ a month, or is it that you just finally got tired of paying the ever-increasing prices for the ever-declining programming quality?

·
Registered
182 Posts
O.K. Rattiminski, I'll get really specific and maybe you'll perceive the motive and method to my HD madness. I've had cable, either Comcast or WOW, for years. When I entered the world of HD in early 2001 with the purchase of an RCA 38" HDCRTTV, I was absolutely knocked out and thrilled by the quality of HD. HBO,STARZ movies, Discovery and national geo programs, PBS, A&EHD, Detroit Tiger baseball(this past season), six or seven programs via the major networks, you name it....if it was HD, I watch it or record it and watch it later. It's just the last three or four months that have seen my HD fascination diminish, accompanied by a decision to spend a less of my life parked in front of my beloved HDTV. I've cut my viewing time to less than 40% of previous levels in the last three months. so, based on my current viewing rate and tastes, you're right. I could get by with the basic cable package. I'd miss the time-shifting ease of the cable DVR more than the programming. I'm taking it one step farther by cutting cable and its cost our altogether to compensate for the money I'm putting into dualing Toshibas.

The final test for that move is occuring as I'm writing this from work on Sunday afternoon. At home, the Detroit Lions game is being recorded in HD on my cable DVR and at the LP speed on my Toshiba D-R550. If the LP picture quality is at least acceptable compared to HD, the deal is done.

One final addition: I'm in the last month of a sixteen month discount program with Comcast that's given me $25 off the regular $87 rate for digital, HD, an HD DVR and one movie channel. When that discount disappears on December 7, so does Comcast. Make sense now? It does to me but I almost always agree with myself.
To your point regarding cable lifeline or basic service: that's an option for next April through September if I decide I simply can't do without Detroit Tiger telecasts, straight basic hookup to one of my DVDRs;no cable box.

To to guy who started this thread about six zillions words ago: my 550 is still handling everything I throw at it; hope you've purchased one already.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've always been a Toshiba fan only because of their full featured editing capabilities on my old XS-32. I was forced to buy a Pioneer as a 2nd unit because there were not good newer Toshiba HD models to be had. Is teh 550 a dvd only unit?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Rammitinski (spelled correctly this time): You're absolutely right about the HDDVDR solution for my setup. Maybe they'll be back sometime during this millenia. Another solution is on the way but it will probably carry a $1700-2000initial price tag: A Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, tuner-equipped DVDR. I'm currently rethinking my drop-cable-go-with-DVDRs approach. The reason? I recorded the Lions-Bears game on both my Comcast DVR and my Toshiba at the LP speed yesterday in order to get a dedefinitive fix on the difference in picture quality. The difference? Way too much in favor of the DVR recording. I'm going to see if I can negotiate a one-year extension of my Comcast discount or look into WOW cable's best deal before I cut the cable.

Oiler1: The Toshiba D-R550 is an ATSC-tuner-equipped DVD recorder. It does not have a hard drive and does not record in HD which means it does not serve as an adequate replacement for a cable company's High Definition Digital Video Recorder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.