AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A coworker of mine has an old (1993) VHS tape that he wants to copy to DVD. When I put the tape in the player, it plays fine for 5 seconds, then the screen goes blue for 15 seconds or so, then the video and audio come back fine for 5 seconds or so, then it bugs out and goes back to a blue screen, and so on and so forth. When I fast forward/rewind the tape, I can see the footage just fine (other than it being FF'd or rewound), but not when I play it in normal speed. I've tried other VHS tapes in the player and they play without a problem.

I'm guessing there is something simple I'm missing, but since I havent had to use a VHS/DVD recorder combo for some time now, I have no idea what that simple thing would be...is there any way there is a copyright issue? Could they even do that back in VHS-days?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
You need to give us some additional information. Is this a commercial VHS tape, or did your friend record it himself? What speed is the tape recorded? What tape length? Do you know what brand and model of VCR he used to record it (if he recorded it himself)? Has he played it back recently, and did he have thse problems when he did?

From the relatively brief description you have posted, it SOUNDS like the tape (or your player) are having tracking issues. Since your VHS player has no problem with other tapes, I would, reluctantly, and sadly, guess that the recorder that was used when making that recording had a defective pinch roller and the tracking kept moving one way, then the other.

The pinch roller is supposed to be of constand durometer. As the part ages, the durometer can change and become uneven, resulting in uneven and drifting tracking of the signal on the tape. When the playing recorder "loses" the signal, it resorts to either snow, or a blue screen, indicating no signal. Then when itl drifts back, the picture is restored.

This is merely a guess on my part. The answers to your questions will assist a lot.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmclaughlin42
When I put the tape in the player, it plays fine for 5 seconds, then the screen goes blue for 15 seconds or so, then the video and audio come back fine for 5 seconds or so, then it bugs out and goes back to a blue screen, and so on and so forth.
My guess is the tape is a commercial one, loaded with Macrovision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tape that won't play back is a commercial tape that he had when he was little and wanted to preserve it on DVD. It plays fine on other VCRs - in fact, I took it home and tried to dub it on a VHS/DVD combo unit there, and it played fine but wouldn't dub due to the copyright.

On the player in question, I put other non-commercially produced VHS tapes (and DVDs) and they played without any problem. Then I put other commercially (and presumably copyrighted) tapes/DVDs, and they won't play.

I'm assuming it is a coypright issue at this point?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmclaughlin42 /forum/post/21070756

The tape that won't play back is a commercial tape that he had when he was little and wanted to preserve it on DVD. It plays fine on other VCRs - in fact, I took it home and tried to dub it on a VHS/DVD combo unit there, and it played fine but wouldn't dub due to the copyright.

On the player in question, I put other non-commercially produced VHS tapes (and DVDs) and they played without any problem. Then I put other commercially (and presumably copyrighted) tapes/DVDs, and they won't play.

I'm assuming it is a coypright issue at this point?

You need to copy from an external VCR with a small device like #3 here (MCM) in between.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.