AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with the dst-3000 been able to get sat 119 using 2 round dishes? Directv installer used one oval and one round dish. Getting signals over 90 on both sat, but he has them both pointed at 119. Tried to tweak it myself with the 2 dishes and all I can find is the 119 also. should I keep trying with the 2 dishes or reassemble the oval and try it that way either where it is or another area?

·
Registered
200 Posts
do a search here for "elliptical" or "DST". there are a couple of threads discussing this topic. The DST-3000 manual specifically states that you need an elliptical dish for HDTV. I believe that this is due to the program guide download from 101, and the HDTV content on 119. I tried to use a single round dish for receiving 119. I could not get it to work pointing it with either the round or elliptical coordinates. There are other threads discussing how two round dishes can be used for this purpose. There are posts saying that a single round dish was used.... I do not understand how this is being done.

I prevented brain damage and bought an elliptical. I had initial sig strength of 82 and 82 on 101/119. Now I am seeing over 88-90 on 101/119.

·
Registered
21,804 Posts
With only the elliptical dish, first a DTC-100 and then/now Toshiba DST-3000, I had marginal signal for 119 satellite, although seldom dropped out, of 45 - 50. Had my install guy add an 18" Dish, a bit higher up, and use the new 18" one only for the 119 degree satellite - and now my signal strength 70-75; and I left the oval dish up for 101 satellite and I still get high 80's, low 90's for that.

------------------

Steve Bruzonsky

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have the combination that you are asking about. We tried one oval dish in many locations on my house, but because of trees there was no single location that could receive both satellites.

I currently have an oval dish pointing at 119 and a round one at 101. The installer told me that (on Long Island) he is always able to get better signal strength using two dishes instead of one oval dish. He said that using one dish causes him to have to compromise on the ideal positioning for each of the satellites in order to receive the other

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bill you live on LI so do I what is the name of the instaler who hooked up your dish also can i use two round dishes?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the sky have to be totally clear of trees to pick up 119? 101 looks like it is going right through the center of trees and giving good signal. what if the trees are about 80 yards away and of medium height? will the signal still be able to get to the sky? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When he used the oval for the 119, did he have to place it in a different area to get around trees or anything? Right now my installer has the oval for the 101 and the round for the 119, which he has pointed incorrectly at 101. I wonder if i should flip-flop these. The 119 sat should be at a lower elevation and to the right of the 101, right? He has the 101 going, it looks to me, directly through some trees and it gives a signal of 94.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
He intially tried to get both satellites using the oval dish on my chimney. However the 119 signal was too weak. He then installed a round dish elsewhere on my roof to get the 101 satellite.

I don't think that switching the dishes would help you. The only advantage of the oval dish over the round one is that the oval is capable of picking up multiple satellites simultaneously. I don't think that an oval dish pointing to a single satellite would perform any differently than a round one would.

Also the angle that the dish is actually pointed can be deceiving. The signal is actually coming from a higher angle than the dish is pointed. The signal reflects off of the dish and onto the LNB. If the dish were actually pointed dorectly at the satellite, the signal could just bounce back in the same direction from which it came.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still playing with the dish. If the installer got a signal on the 101 sat on the oval dish, should I just be able to tilt the dish to pick up the 119 or will I have to change the elevation and azimuth also?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the Sat B is on the left side and Sat A is on the right on the oval dish, would I tilt it to the right so Sat B is higher up or to the left so Sat B is lower?

Installer didn't leave any install instructions that supposedly came with the dish.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mstmorse:
Does the sky have to be totally clear of trees to pick up 119? 101 looks like it is going right through the center of trees and giving good signal.
119 is a much lower elevation from New England. Where I originally had my elliptical I could get 101 no problem but 119 got worse with foliage to non-existent signal. Moving the dish to the other end of the house worked.

The elliptical setting is between the 101 & 119 seperate settings (with tilt added). If you use the Elliptical for either 101 or 119 or even 110, use the proper settings, it will just be easier to align/optimize to the single satellite.

Tim

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stranger:
Bill you live on LI so do I what is the name of the instaler who hooked up your dish also can i use two round dishes?

Yes, you can use two round dishes. The only reason that I an using one of each is tht I already had the oval dish installed in anticipation of buying an HD receiver. When I bought the receiver, I found that the reception that I was getting with the oval dish was not sufficient.

At that point, there was no point replacing the oval dish with a round one.

I don't remember the name of the company that did the installation but their number is (516) 808-1221. I think that you will talk to Pete. His partner (Rob) did my installation.

These guys were recommended to me by Gary Merson when he did my ISF calibration.

[This message has been edited by Bill Broderick (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by mstmorse: Does the sky have to be totally clear of trees to pick up 119? 101 looks like it is going right through the center of trees and giving good signal.

You are most likely pulling in the signal from above the trees. Remember that the LNB is mounted low on the dish and not centered and the signal is being reflected in at an angle 10-15 degrees above the plane of the dish face.

What does the line of site look like say 15 degrees above the dish?

Just a thought http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.