AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up a new DST-3000 set-top box. I am feeding a Toshiba TN50X81 HD-ready TV. I have regular (round dish) DirecTV.

Problem: When outputting through the Component Video cables (1080i), the picture on the screen is not square to the corners on the right side. In other words, the picture is "scrunched down" from the top right corner and "scrunched up" from the bottom right corner. The left side of the screen

appears OK.

This is most noticeable when the program guide is on the screen, but can be seen in the program image also.

This problem occurs regardless of which of the 2 ColorStream inputs is used on my TV. It does NOT occur when I am using the 480i output (S-video).

I tried changing my ColorStream settings from DVD to DTV on the TV, but that had no effect.

Also, I have never had any problems with my ColorStream inputs on the TV when using a DVD player.

Any ideas? Thanks very much.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have that problem on the left side of the screen (40H80). Its called a "bow" and from what I have been told, it occurs sometimes on 16:9 projection TVs because of the way the picture is bounced off the Mirror and onto the screen. On mine however you only notice when the menu is brought up, not while watching TV

[This message has been edited by ilkevinli (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem may be that the set uses a different convergence parameters for 480i and 1080i. Try going into a service mode convergence while feeding the set a 1080i signal.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It sounds to me more like the geometry is off in the 1080i mode, this will take more than a convergence to correct (though I'd certainly start there). Geometry is more difficult to correct but can be done. You should look at the information on Keohi's site (please read the disclaimers carefully). http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

I have done some geometry corrections on my TW65H80 in the 1080i mode and it made a huge difference. You just have to be very careful about what you're changing. Always write down the current setting first and stay away from that reset button on the remote!

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.