Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bizzare problem that I have to think is my receiver:

I have a Toshiba DST-3000 HD Receiver. Great unit, I love it. However, I can not seem to get a good signal on one, just one, of my transponders. It's Sat-110. here is what I get on all three transponders:

Transponder 8: 90-95

Transponder 10: 85-87

Transponder 12: 50-52. When HD programming has been on that transponder (NFL GOTY in HD for example), the signal has dropped from 40's to 0, making it of course unwatchable.

I have a TiVo unit in my bedroom, which I have tested the transponders with. Transponder 12 Sat 110 on that unit registers a solid 95.

Here is what I have done so far.

- I have changed places on my multiswitch with the two receivers

- I have changed places physically with the two receivers and tried them on the opposite TV's. No change.

- I have rebooted DST-3000 and checked all cable connections from multiswitch to receiver

I have to believe it's the receiver because of the big jump in signal strength of the transponder to the other two, plus the fact signal strength is great on other receiver. However the only other thing I haven't done is to put a signal amplifier on the line because it is about a 100 foot run.

Has anyone else seen this problem with this receiver? Toshiba will not help because they have discontinued the unit.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I have a DST-3000 and an E86. They are also low on 12. Tps 8, 10, and 12 are around 90, 85, 60. My Hughes GAEBO SD set is 93, 94, 82. I've replaced the combiner with no change. If I really need to access tp 12 sometime, I'll try replacing the LNB.

·
Registered
779 Posts
On my e86 I started to loose 12 on 110 and it finally went to 0. A few weeks later I tried to reset the box and let it cool down completely. After restarting it I have lost almost all of my transponders across all 3 birds. FYI my box is about 2.5 years old.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
117 Posts
My DST-3000 has been dying a slow death. I've been losing channels here and there until now it is almost useless. I was hoping it would hang in there till the HD Tivo was out but I guess I'm off to buy a cheap receiver to just tide me over till then.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Michael, I too am having the same problem with a DST-3000. All my leads on my Tivo reveal mid 80's signal strength on Sat C transponder 12. Move the exact same leads into the DST-3000 and the receiver can't lock the signal and the meter goes between 0-30. To top it off all the other transponders on Sat C register in the mid 80's on the Tivo. Virtually all channels on coming off Sat C are now Digitizing and breaking up. ESPN, Dscovery, HDnet Movies and Showtime. I tweaked my dish and system yesterday for 3 hours. Re-peaked the dish,Switched LNB C, switched the Sat C combiner, replaced the cables at the dish distribution.

Finally I added a booster off the multiswitch to the DST. This has stabilized the low signals on transponders 8-10 to keep the picture solid as long as it doesn't rain. Transponder 12 is still a no go. Rain this morning brought pixelization.

All my receivers are co-located so it was easy to swithc the leads from the dish,. I am convinced it is a defect with the DST-3000. What should we do from here? The CSR's in technical will be useless.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm not having this problem with mine, but you've got me worried that it's only a matter of time.

-Reagan

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Reagan
I'm not having this problem with mine, but you've got me worried that it's only a matter of time.
If you're not running a cooling fan with these STB's, it is only a matter of time. :(

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by disbthai
can you switch out with a better cooling fan with this? has anyone try it?
There is no cooling fan with this unit. That's the problem. People have resorted to putting their own little fan on top of or next to these STB's either blowing or sucking air through the boxes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine is low on 12 as well (!50). It's fine on all others though. It sounds more like an overall issue than a heat related issue.

Mike

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmarolda
It sounds more like an overall issue than a heat related issue.
99.9% of problems with the DST-3000 (everything except for the noisy phone line problem) have been heat related issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the exact same problems with my DST-3000. I eventually lost almost all transponders on all three satellites. However, the OTA channels still would come in just fine. I tried everything including changing all of my LNBs to no avail. I finally bought a new Hughes HTL and all the transponders now come in great. Bottom line...the DST-3000 was dying a slow death, losing more and more transponders. BTW, I always had an external fan on the unit for its heat problems. Get a new receiver, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis
Hmmm, I haven't tried switching LNB's physically yet. That and I was going to get a line amplifier.
I don't believe you can swap the LNB. The Sat C LNB is a specialized one that does a downconversion of the three TPs used. Assuming that this is a older style triple LNB dish with separate LNBs.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
It can be replaced by another Sat C LNB though.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
I don't believe you can swap the LNB. The Sat C LNB is a specialized one that does a downconversion of the three TPs used. Assuming that this is a older style triple LNB dish with separate LNBs.
At this point I am thinking it's the receiver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.