AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the Toshiba DST-3100 is starting to show up on reseller websites which I personally thinkk is good news since this is the box I am intrested in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is supposed to have the ability to out put HD and SD at the same time plus it has the ability to Distibute Video to different locations. So I can hook up this box in the Living room and wire My TV up to in the bed room. That way I only need one box. The remore is RF so you can control it in other rooms... And it has three seperate tuners.

But with anything One must see it and use it before they really know if it will meet their needs or should I say "WANTS"

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peter0302
... Is the component output crippled for HDCP protected content?
Probably.

Aren't all D* STBs, including existing ones, supposed to have that "feature"?

D* can also cripple recording on other analog jacks with Macrovision, if the content owner demands it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I signed a 1 year service with my receiver before I bought my HDTV, and I don't want to pay for two services when I buy the other one.

Can I cancel the first one before the year is up and start up the HDTV without being penalized the charge-back fee of the first?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Since when is changing your receiver from a Sony B50 to a HD receiver considered a hack? I signed a one year commitment for my first receiver, which hasn't been a year yet. On the terms it said I had to keep it activated for a year or $250 will charged to my charge card.

I now want to buy a new receiver HD receiver to take advantage of my new HDTV rear projection, and put my already subscribed card in it, so I won't get charged for not keeping my first receiver for a full year. I am not stealing service, I am paying for it.. From what I understand, stealing service is hacking. which is not my intent. I just don't feel I should be penalized for an equipment upgrade, when I deactivate my Sony B50!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
They don't charge for early disconnection/change of a receiver, they only charge for early termination of your programming commitment.

If you want to change different receivers, all you have to agree to is to restart your 12 month programming commitment on the day you connect the new receiver.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
They don't charge for early disconnection/change of a receiver, they only charge for early termination of your programming commitment.
I've done exactly that. The agreements are not consecutive but concurrent. Just remain a customer for one year after the last receiver purchase.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Does anyone know what under the hood of this box? Does it share the Samsung TS-160 hardware or the Sony HD200/Zenith SAT520 hardware?

Java Junky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Toshiba DST-3100 is supposed to be completely designed from the ground up by Toshiba. and it looks to be released possibly in july. Here is a link for more information. DST-3100 in July

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Computeman
The Toshiba DST-3100 is supposed to be completely designed from the ground up by Toshiba. and it looks to be released possibly in july. Here is a link for more information. DST-3100 in July
It's funny, but the last PR release they had was last summer....and I actually sent an e-mail to the contact on the release asking just WHEN the 2002 model would be available....and she told me to contact Toshiba directly. I see that it's a different PR company now. Guess that's why she didn't have any information :D

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
Excerpted from PRNewswire, 5/8/03.

Toshiba America Consumer Products Inc. announces today the July 2003 nationwide availability of its DIRECTV® High-Definition Receiver. The DST3100 second-generation DIRECTV® High- Definition Receiver incorporates DVI (Digital Visual Interface) technology for consistent high-quality reception of High-Definition DIRECTV® programming, along with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Copy Protection) to ensure the security of copyrighted high-definition programming.

To maximize the viewing experience from both digital and analog sources and with any type of display device, Toshiba's DST3100 features the versatility of several output resolution modes. And with its simultaneous output and multi-TV control capability, the DST3100 offers a multi-room viewing solution.

It features built-in NTSC and ATSC reception, along with multiple output resolution modes (480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i) that can be selected via the unit's remote. With its 720p resolution output capability, the DST3100 provides the highest quality native 720p digital video signal to high- performance fixed pixel display devices, such as Toshiba's new widescreen plasma display panels. Further enhancing user flexibility and utility, the DST3100 features a unique Hybrid Mode that will automatically convert incoming digital signal to either 480p or 1080i output resolution, ensuring maximum image quality with the majority of HDTV-Compatible TVs that support both 480p and 1080i.

To help consumers create a powerful HDTV home theater experience, the DST3100 includes an optical digital audio output jack (Toslink) for Dolby Digital® multichannel sound, ColorStream® HD component video output, S- Video output and two sets of A/V composite video output jacks. The result is full connectivity in the home.

Thanks to its simultaneous HD/SD output capability, the DST3100 can be connected to multiple TV sets in the house. While the DVI/HDCP output terminal delivers uncompressed digital video signals, the ColorStream® output delivers high-quality Y/Pb/Pr signals and the S-Video jack provides an analog signal simultaneously. Adding to the convenience of multi-room operation, the newly designed remote control incorporates both IR (infrared) and RF (radio frequency) capabilities and supports two separate TV remote codes.

A sophisticated icon-based GUI (graphical user interface) provides easier navigation of functions and features than ever before. Channel-surfing could not be easier or more efficient, thanks to the user-friendly ADVANCED PROGRAM GUIDE(TM) that integrates programming information and provides a single, seamless listing of all available TV programming, including DIRECTV® programming, terrestrial and cable broadcasts. Furthermore, a built-in search engine allows viewers to locate desired programs simply by entering a title, category, actor's name or key word.

The Toshiba DST3100 will be available in July 2003 at a suggested retail price of $649.95.

·
Banned
972 Posts
The Big Question Is

will the Toshiba DST3100 have a fan inside the reciever and or will the reciever have an heat issue just like the Toshiba DST-3000 ???

Anyone have any idea.

Please post here,

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Toshiba did not make the DST-3000. The design of the DST-3100 will be unique as it really is Toshiba's first HD STB and probably have a unique set of problems.;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Whats the chance that the new Toshib 3100 and the forthcoming RCA DTC200 are the same box? They both announced their product months ago, then never delivered. Now they are both scheduled for a July release.

I'm ripe and ready for a new box. My Zenith DTV1080 is gone (thank you very much) and I'm either waiting for the the new Tosh/RCA or the SAT530 (I want simultaneous 480i output).

I'm hopeful that the new Tosh and RCA will have a good ATSC tuner and be abe to mix ATSC, cable and satellite like the SAT520 does. Oh yes, I'm hopeful it can do all this and be reliable and somewhat bug free!!!

Think I'm on crack?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by openhouse
The Big Question Is

will the Toshiba DST3100 have a fan inside the reciever and or will the reciever have an heat issue just like the Toshiba DST-3000 ???

Anyone have any idea.

Please post here,

thanks
I don't have any real information but here is are a couple of clues. The DST 3000 is based on perhaps 3 year old technology?? Power consumption has always been a big driver for cell phones and other embedded equipment. This matters alot because power consumption and heat are the same. The less power, the less engineering (fans etc) has to done for cooling and that can really lower the cost. (also means a lot because of batteries but we don't much care about that here).

The latest P4 cores run faster (3.07G) and dissipate 50watts as opposed to "last years model" which dissipated 75 watts while running 2G. That is a big difference. This is in one year.

The STB is unlikely to have a Pentium processor. More likely it will be a Toshiba AAM79R processor . NOTE: The $3000 is for an engineering evaluation kit. This box is likely to be a totally different animal in terms of hardware internals.

I think that when it came out, the DST-3000 was pretty much peddle to the metal on performance so it just barely works. The processor for the DST-3100 will have to be faster to accomodate the simultaneous S-video/Hidef output. However, that is probably less than a factor of two faster which means you can use something less than the faster possible processor and still do the job with lower heat.

But....my DST-3000 works just ducky. Never had a heat problem.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One feature I hope they do carryover from the DST 3000 is it's VCR-type programming that can tune into programs on daily and weekly basis. I'm frustrated with the newest HD receivers that either can't be programmed to turn on by themselves (Sony/Zenith) or restrict your programming to the limited number of days shown in the program guide (I think Samsung is like this). My plan is to send the receiver's video out to a DVD/hard disk recorder. Yes, I'd have to program the recorder too, but once I program it to turn on in tandem with the STB, it'll be a no-hassle affair. And no, I don't want a PVR -- even one with HD capability. I want to be able to save/burn broadcasts to DVDs (SD is fine for me), and I don't want/need to pay any monthly fee. I hope the DST 3100 doesn't disappoint me in this regard.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Quote:
the DST3100 features a unique Hybrid Mode that will automatically convert incoming digital signal to either 480p or 1080i output resolution,
unique? Well the Panny has been only doing this for years, Plus it has the native res output.

It will be nice to finally have the features of the Panny with the Hughes speed.

Looks like I will be selling both my panny & E86 soon :D

-Jerry

1 - 20 of 207 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.