AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment complex that is prewired for DSS. They have hooked up (2) Sony receivers that support wideband mode to adjust for the frequencies require for the system to work in my apartment. Does anyone know how to find any hidden menus in the DTS-3000 to adjust to wideband mode?

Also I live in North Dallas and have tried every indoor antenna possible but only get (1) channel --- Channel 8 ---.

I can't put up a huge antenna due to living on a golf course (eye sore issues). Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your DST3000. There is no such thing as wideband mode on any DirecTV + OTA HD receiver. Direct TV satellites transmit on the top half of the Ku microwave frequency band (11.7-12.2GHz). All DTV & Echostar LNB transducers convert these signals to a 950-1450MHz IF. To have an HD feed from a DTV (elliptical) dish there must be four feeds which come from two dual LNBs. One LNB is pointed at the 101 satellite, the other at the 119 satellite. The distribution system must support the switching between the four possible sources with DC voltage & 22KHZ tone combinations. The only apartment HD distribution system that I know of that works is made by Spaun (German).

All that said - I would be surprised to find an DTV HD distribution system in any apartment.

I live in Lake Highlands and I'm using a $20 attic antenna. My signal strength is 100% on the main 6 DTV stations and 90% on channel 13 (14-1).

But I am using a Spaun multiswitch with amplification.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Do you mean you only get channel 8 in analog or that you get WFAA-DT in digital (actually channel 9 but appears as 8-1 on the receiver)? WFAA-DT is VHF, all the other digital stations are UHF, so maybe you have a VHF-only antenna. You'll find lots of information on suitable antennas on this forum, but given where you are you may not be able to get the signal levels you need with an indoor antenna. I've read good things though about the Silver Sensor and the double bowtie from Radio Shack.

Also I was not sure about your comment about the golf course. No-one can prevent you putting up an external antenna if you have an available location which meets the requirements of the FCC ruling - if you search the forum you should find many references to this. Do you have a south-facing balcony by any chance??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a little more info to clear up my previous post.

I have since bought the Radio Shack Discreet Amplkified Antenna. (The long bar)

I have moved it to the back porch, for 3 hours I moved it around in different places. Under the channel signal menu (Channel 9) shows 86-93 no matter where I place which is no problem, the only other channel that shows signal is (14) about 21-28.

I took a 50' cable and ran the antenna out my backdoor to a tree that is on the fairway of the golf course late last night. With no effort I STUCK it in the tree and went back in. EVERY channel comes in perfectly. The channel signal does not show any signal strength but when I view the channels they run fine with no fade. But once I start moving it back to my back porch everything dies except (Channel 9).

So I know I can get the channels in my area, its just going to be finding the PERFECT mounting place. Anyone know of a company that will come install an antenna like I have on the roof in a hidden place. My apartments are strict about what can be on your back porch since it faces the golf course and they have an agreement with the course not to have crap on your back porch..

As for the Wideband mode, I have witnessed the wideband setting with my own eyes on the Sony and have tried several other receivers but they will not work with the apartments DTV unless they are set to wideband mode.

So I'm still looking for the hidden settings on the 3000 if there is one.

Thanks for all the help... Yeehaw,, It almost works perfect...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the back porch is yours (i.e. under your control, not a common area) I think you may find you can put an antenna there and there is nothing the apartment owners/association can do about it. That's the whole point of the FCC ruling. You may not want to upset anyone, that's a different issue. You may want to read the FCC ruling and decide for yourself. If you think it applies to you, you could always point it out to the apartment owners/association and see if they have a solution which would meet your legal rights while keeping them happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.