AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Best Buy tonight and low and behond there it was.... The much talked about Toshiba DVD 6915 5 disc Carousel DVD-Audio/SACD Changer.

While I can't give any first impressions yet(the wife has the TV room filled with her friends)..

I can say this much so far:

1. It only has Optical out :(

2. The bass management in the manual is vague. In fact all it lists is Small/Large. No Crossover points are discussed.

3. It won't output both progressive and composite at the same time.

4. Remote sucks

5. Plays WMA, Mp3, DVD-R, +R, RW but no DVD RAM.

6. Price $179. I'm not expect much here for this price..

6. No HDMI/DVI out and no upscaling

Things I'll learn:

1. How it handles layer changes

2. How it sounds(subjectively)

3. How it looks

4. Chroma bug or no?

5. Crossover point for Bass management purposes

6. If it has issues playing some DVD-Audio discs: I need help here with what disc I should try..

Anything else anyone wants to know? I'm your guinea pig. If it works great, I'm keeping it. If it doesn't then it goes back. I'm pretty unsure about this decision but its a one of a kind right now and the only one in Tulsa. I figured I needed a progessive dvd player and wanted universal capabilities so why not? IF I hate it, it goes back.

I will report back later, let me know if you got questions..

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm leaning towards getting this player, as my first Toshiba (SD-6200) was a good machine. If possible, I have these ?'s.

Can you do random play from all discs, with multiple disc types (DVD-A, SACD, CD, DTS) in the changer?

Any way to test if it can handle discrete remote codes? Is there a remote button for 2ch and 5.1? For interlace/progressive out?

Do the L-R stereo out (not from the 5.1 jacks) output a 2ch downmixed signal when output on the player is set to 5.1?

I'll try to think of more-

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gotta run by BB today to see if they have it!!

Does it have zoom for DVD's?

TIA!:)

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's not up on BB's website yet :confused:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Gotta run by BB today to see if they have it!!
Some do , some don't. This is the 2nd one they got as the other is their demo..

This one had the fedex stuff still on it.
Quote:
Does it have zoom for DVD's?
It has a zoom but I haven't used it yet. I'm pretty sure i have aspect ratio control on my TV anyway on that mode but I'll find out. I don't plan on zooming out the black bars as I find that to be blasphemy.
Quote:
Can you do random play from all discs, with multiple disc types (DVD-A, SACD, CD, DTS) in the changer?
I'll find out. From what I can tell you can but I will do some more digging. It might be tough to go from DVD A to SACD as they have different menus for that stuff. I'll find out when I get a DVD-Audio to try. I will get one that is known to cause issues to the Pioneer 563 to make sure it will play the newly authored discs well. I don't want to replicate what the 563 is doing.
Quote:
Any way to test if it can handle discrete remote codes? Is there a remote button for 2ch and 5.1? For interlace/progressive out?
I'll find out on the discrete codes. I'll double check on the 2ch and 5.1 button but I know that I can move the arrow right and it will switch to 5.1 music on the fly. There is NOT an interlaced/progressive button. There is a manual switch on the back.

If you engage it, then it disables the S-Vid and composite out.
Quote:
Do the L-R stereo out (not from the 5.1 jacks) output a 2ch downmixed signal when output on the player is set to 5.1?
I would assume its outputting only the front 2 channels of the 5.1 track as I have my bass management set to Large for the front 2 and nothing for the rest. I don't have my subwoofer installed yet or my rears up yet.

The only ergonomic issue I can tell is that when playing an SACD, I can't STOP a track. I have to eject the disc. The stop button is actually a button that moves the arrow Down to the next track. This is annoying and perhaps an issue that I can get around with my pronto or just by reading the manual :D

I have perused it a bit enough to say that It doesn't say specifically how to stop an SACD disc. If so then I hope I can make a work around in my pronto :)

More to come:

Chroma bug: yes or no?

How it handles layer changes?

If it handles those well, and handles all the discs I throw at it(alot) I'm set.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm off to BB now to go and check for it....could be a nice Memorial Day weekend!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I've had my eye on this dvd changer for quite some time.

Can you do a compairison of the onboard decoding versus that of your reciever? The decoding on my Harman Kardon receiver stinks and I'd like to use the onboard decoder if it has good sound quality. Pop in a few dvd's and let us know. Obvously, video quality via svideo and component would be helpfull too. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I'd assume that they would hit the market around Fathers day. As I said the one I got had may 2004 date on it and the unit still had a Fedex sticker on it. They only got 2 including mine which I bought on a whim.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some updates:

Here is what I've found so far today:

1. The stop button thing is fixed. You have to hold down the button to make that function work. If you tap it, it will move the arrow down(if you are on a menu).

2. Chroma bug: I'm not seeing it on Toy Story 2. I've studied it hard and looked at the Secrets test several times.

3. Bass Management: I've got a call into Toshiba to find out.

Layer Change coming up next

More to come

·
Registered
453 Posts
My BB in Newport News, VA had a floor model but no others. They checked on incoming shipments and had nothing showing. So the wait continues....:(

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found one little issue so far but nothing earth shattering. I popped in Das Boot Superbit and it stuttered thru the Trailer of the DTS spinning disc. Other than that, its pretty bug free so far.

More torture testing to come. The PQ is outstanding. SACD is here to stay in my house.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the one I had crapped out.

It would play DVD -R, Dvd +R just fine.

I popped in a DTS disc and tried to see if it would act up again on the newer trailer. Well it freeze framed thru it then when the movie cued up it kept dropping the audio out like crazy. Then when testing it with my Last of the Mohicans disc it froze up and gave up the ghost. I had to take the cover off to get the disc out then return the player.

No more in T-Town nor anyplace close so my run-in with Toshiba is over for now.

It could have just been the unit I had, it could have been issues with the player who knows.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So it worked with some DTS discs, but with others it would freeze-frame? Or was it all DTS discs? I hope this is limited to your machine, as this could be a deal-killer for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 6915 outputs everything pink through the Component video output. (Yes, I double-checked that all the connectors were firm.) Through s-video it pales in comparison to my Panasonic CH72 but that's to be expected when comparing Faroudja component to non-Faroudja s-video.

I primarily got this to be a universal audio player. On that account it does very nicely. I don't have a setup to do a quick A/B comparison but Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (both DVD-Audio and SACD) sounds noticeably better on the 6915 than it does on my Panny.

I have to return it because of the video issue and I'll probably try a Samsung 941 if they're out before my 30 days is up. Otherwise I'll try the 841.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
So it worked with some DTS discs, but with others it would freeze-frame? Or was it all DTS discs? I hope this is limited to your machine, as this could be a deal-killer for me
It turned out to be all DTS discs then it froze up and almost ate one of my discs. I had to open it up to remove it.
Quote:
My 6915 outputs everything pink through the Component video outpu
I wasn't seeing the pink but with both of our machines having issues and the last Toshiba being recalled, it doesn't look good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just found this thread as I too was surprised to find the 6915 in my Best Buy this afternoon. I've been hunting fot this model since iit was announced at last January's CES. At $179, I grabbed one and a couple of SACD's to sample it's abilities (I've already got 20 DVD-A's and have been hungry fot the SACD catalogue). I've got a Panny rp-82 that I'm going te sell as I've only used if for multi-channel music since I got my Bravo D-1. I'm going to A\\B the DVD-A performance and report back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just checking to see if you are still planning to post your thoughts about the 6915 - saw it at the local BB this weekend, but they had none in stock (would not sell me floor sample)

If they get some in soon, I will prob pick one up to replace my aging (aged) SD-2109.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So far, it's a mixed review. While it does play DVD-A and SACD, it has refused to recognize any 5.1 DTS disks. Also, it has, on occasion, refused to recognize some DVD-A disks with out a hard reset (unplugging). SACD playback defaults to 2CH and the change to multi is less then obvious. The remote is also problematic, as the enter key isn't recognized by some disks. I was hoping for a random play function amongst 5 high def audio disks or at least a playlist function, neither with this player. This player may be a case of the elephant dancing (you don't complain about the quality of the dance, you're just happy it dance's at all). It has lame bass management but the sound is comparable to my Panny CP-72.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.