Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm shopping for my very first digital projector

and my total budget is around $1200-$1300 including the screen.

I recently came across Costo online selling Toshiba ET1

with 84 inch screen at $1199.

Searched through this forum on this projector

but couldn't find anything except a thread in the forum

that this was announced last year in Europe.

Any review or experience using this projector ?

The spec doesn't sound too good

(858x480, 600:1 contrast, unknown lumen output, Faroudja scaler)

but doesn't sound too bad,

and it looks like this is the only native 16:9 projector within my budget.

Or should I look for other SVGA projectors like Infocus X1 or Epson S1 ?

How would wide screen movies look on them compared to native 16:9 ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for helping this newbie :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
This looks like a solid entry level lcd. Not a lot of info but you can find it for under 1100 and it has decent built in speakers and a funky design.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using a Toshiba ET1 for a week and I'm very pleased with it. I was going to buy a 50" Hitachi CRT RPT but changed my mind at the last minute and I'm glad I did. I have a 3 year old Sony 36" XBR which I still love for watching standard broadcast and I was looking for something strickly for watch widescreen DVDs and maybe the ocassional special broadcast (Acadamy Awards...). Because I was mainly looking at RPTs, I didn't try any other front projectors although I read everything I could find on the web. I was very tempted by the DPL technology but was a little affraid of the rainbow effect and I had no place to test one. The convergence issue was another factor that swayed me away from CRT RPT. LCD RPT was toooo expensive. DLP toooo new and expensive in RPTs. The ET1 was offered with an 80" screen at a pretty good price so I decided to go that way.

My main concern with buying an LCD front projecter was that I might be too dissapointed with the black levels and colour saturation after watching the XBR which is incredible in this regard. The reduced blacks are noticeable but not quite as bad as I feared and it is quickly forgotten once you focus in on all the detail the big screen reveals. I found colour saturation to be excellent with non of the colour bleed that I've seen on CRT devices (even the XBR if it is not tweaked carefully).

This unit has the DCDi processing (Faroudja) and I find the image to be very sharp and detailed (all that 480p has to offer anyway). It is placed on a coffee table (permanaent home since it is quite stylish) with my DVD player placed directly behind it to minimize the lengh of the component cable. I use a 20' lengh of 75ohm coax to run the digital audio to my Denon 3803 that is sitting on a small corner coffee table. The whole setup is pretty tidy and allows our mostly unused formal living room to cover as a home theater. The screen rolls up and gets put away for those rare occasions when we have visitors. So the front projector has the advantage of been less imposing than a large RPT in this case. The XBR already takes up a fair wack of floor space in the family room.

The only weakness I see in this projector is the screen door effect (pixelization) which is visible at 1.5x viewing distance. It's very minor.... especially when compared to interlace lines and it really doesn't bother me at all.

I bought a new JVC DVD player because my old unit didn't have a coax out (only optical) and I wanted to try progressive scan even though the ET1 has the DCDi processing. I got a brand new model (JVC XV-N310B) that is just arriving in stores this month. It is super small which is great since I wanted to put it on the same table as the projector. So far it looks like the progressive scan mode from the DVD player does produce the best results.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I found this projector for a decent price brand new (about $1500 Canadian). Since I started looking at projectors a couple years ago, I've always had my heart set on a 106" 16:9 sized screen. This is the cheapest native 16:9 projector I've seen to date. Has anyone actually tried this projector on a screen that size? How does it compare to other projectors on the market? Was the screen door terrible? Help help! Please.

Thanks!

Dave.

·
Premium Member
24,662 Posts
A friend of mine got it from Costco and went up to an 8' wide (110") Hipower and loves it. You just need to move back enough to not see screen door.

I saw it before he got the bigger screen and was shocked at how good it looked. I liked it better than the Sharp 9000's I had seen awhile back; resolution not nearly as good, but adequate, and the brightness, apparent contrast (don't ask me how), and colors were much better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Awesome! Thanks. I'll try to borrow it for a day or two to see what it can do. I wonder what the expected bulb life is running in high power mode. Low power says 3000 hours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm bought my ET1 at the beginning of March and I'm still very happy with it. I use it on low power most of the time and it's good in my dark room. I switch to high power occasionally at it really looks super. I've got an 80" diagonal and sit 10'-12' feet away.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not familiar with that projector, but use an X1 exclusively in 16:9 format - I even have a 16:9 format screen. The few times I watch 4:3 material I use the x1 "native" mode which puts it in the center of my 16:9 screen. Even though I was worried about "wasted" resolution, I'm very pleased with the results using it this way, and the total price should be less than what you are looking at for the Toshiba.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.