AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a copy of the owner's manual for the new Tosh 50H81. I told the dealer I wanted to buy one since on this board and others are plenty of details. Its supposed to be released to dealers in Canada any day. The dealer called Toshiba Hawaii which is part of the Japan operation, not Toshiba America, and they refused to even say it exists. The dealer is quite embarassed by the manufacturer's mentality and has offered to sell me the new Panny 47 for $1,800.

Am I wrong in wanting automatic convergence and 3:2 pulldown found in the new Toshibas? Should I reward the dolts at Toshiba Hawaii? Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hal,

I haven't heard from anyone who's seen the production model 47" Panasonic, so take the following with a grain of salt. Those who have seen pre-production demos of the new Panny have said it looks pretty bad. Do a search and check the consensus of the forum.

I really want the new Panny to look good. Supposedly this new 47 incher for sub-$2000 and the low price on the current Toshiba 40H80 are forcing Mitsubishi to lower the price on their entry level 46" HDTV to ~$2000 street price. I would make sure that you look at all three of these models in reasonably well-calibrated conditions before making your choice. Good luck to you; sorry Toshiba Hawai'i decided to not to help an interested consumer.

Jim

------------------

Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
For the record, the Panasonic also has 3:2 reversal in it's line doubler.

If the Panasonic 47" widescreen is like the new 51" 4:3, then it may suffer from an over-enthusiastic SVM circuit and pretty severe red-push in the colour decoder. The picture has an over processed look to it and I'm not sure if that's because of the SVM or other picture 'enhancement' circuits. I've had a couple of folks from Panasonic Canada in the store to take a look and they are investigating, so hopefully a solution to this issues will be forthcoming.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.