AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5103 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local Best Buy got in 3 today. One went up for display (they were hooking it up as I walked in) the other 2 were for sale. Bought their first one. I added the 4 year service plan for $40. Picked up an AR HDMI cable to hook it up. Here's a couple of pics.

More to come as I play around with it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Well damn... Ron is first. But without the movies

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Way to go!

They do exist...they do exist!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$499 plus tax and a $40 service plan, out the door for $578.73.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Congrats Ron! New toys are a lot of fun. Hopefully you'll have some movies to enjoy soon. No doubt the service plan was a good idea too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
^ I am seething with jealousy!
I can imagine popping open the box and putting that beauty into my components rack.....I WANT IT!

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Ron: COngrats and enjoy this weekend. Do you own any non-region 1 dvd's? If so, could you verify that the player is region free on at least SD dvd's?

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the box really that big? Or is just the camera angle giving the appearance?

In the meantime, can you give us your take on how it performs with upconversion?

I'm sure a lot us are curious.

congrats!!!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The box?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Outstanding! Way to go Ron. I wish you (and the rest of us who will soon get ours) hundreds upon hundreds of hours of HD-DVD enjoyment. Wow, this really does make this whole thing feel real now. Thanks for posting Ron, I feel so much better now.

Please give us an update on how the SD DVD upconversion is if you can. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. I'll post as much about it as I can, if, I can get out of the theater once I fire this thing up.
It is big, and heavy, feels very solid, well built.

I do not have any non-region 1 dvds so I cannot give you an answer Ron, sorry.

As soon as it's hooked up and running I'll report back with what SD-DVDs look like. It's being wired to a Sanyo Z3 with an 85" DIY gray screen.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
What I really want to know is does this player take over a minute to load a HD-DVD.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
The load time is 20-22 seconds for DVD once the machine is powered up. I have not timed how long it takes for it to start but it is similar amount....

Amir

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
DVD or HD-DVD? So we are talking about 1 minute before any video is displayed?

·
Banned
18,829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusInMD /forum/post/0

DVD or HD-DVD? So we are talking about 1 minute before any video is displayed?

HD DVD. DVD is a bit faster but not a whole lot more.

Yes, it is a bit long to be sure but it hasn't bothered me much. It is possible they can improve this in the future...

Amir

1 - 20 of 5103 Posts