Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 528 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulidan
Is this another Enron waiting to happen? Keep talking the stock up while behind the scenes running it into the ground?

That's some world-class FUD.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet
Does this guy work for Sony?
Does amir work for ms and gets money off hd dvd ???? Be real he also has hd dvd reviews. Shows anything positvie is false but all negative is 100% true and no one ask questions about amir do they.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Great review Cliff.

Come on kevinca1, 50 First Dates doesn't really push the limits...

99 Minutes

Not many explosions, car cases and gun fights etc...

...are you feeding us some counter spin? :)

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
No i am pointitng out they are not seeing all movies and are baseing on a few. i can do the same for hd dvd and fugitive comes to mind. Wait until more comes out to sit and say the format is doomed. heck anyone watch the first dvds that came out they are awful. they still are making poor dvds to this day.

·
Registered
68 Posts

BenDover said:
Thank you, Cliff, for someone finally taking the time and effort to review a title that challenges MPEG2...xXx; I would also really much like to see you take a look at Underworld Revolution as that would then challenge MPEG2 not only on fast-motion but also dark content, which as you noted, may not be the best content for MPEG2.

I would really love to see that taken a bit further and compare Blu-ray's HD Underworld Evolution against just the upscaled SD Underworld Evolution on the Toshiba :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinca1
No i am pointitng out they are not seeing all movies and are baseing on a few. i can do the same for hd dvd and fugitive comes to mind. Wait until more comes out to sit and say the format is doomed. heck anyone watch the first dvds that came out they are awful. they still are making poor dvds to this day.
I agree. I guess the problem is we only have to few titles to choose from. The problem is, people are begging for others to give reviews. Not everyone that bought a blu-ray player also bought 10+ blu-ray titles. You know what I mean. I just don't want an other good thread go to waste.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Quote:
heck anyone watch the first dvds that came out they are awful. they still are making poor dvds to this day.
Agreed. And IMHO The Fugitive HD DVD looks like one of those crappy old DVD transfers. Blazzing Saddles looked like a$$ as well. What's weird is the company I have been the most frustrated with due to their lack of BD support, Universal, is putting out amazing HD transfers on nearly all of their discs. I've seen 8 Universal discs so far and only Apollo 13 wasn't breathtaking.

These initial BDs may in fact be inferior to the best that HD DVD has to offer but thankfully dual layer BDs are on the way. I'm more curious to see how they'll compare. That said, I haven't found the Samsung locally yet but may wait and pick it up at Circuit City next week since they've got that great deal going then.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg
I haven't found the Samsung locally yet but may wait and pick it up at Circuit City next week since they've got that great deal going then.
I hope I don't find one, becuase I don't think I could resist. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Guys...VC1 is not the problem with those titles...the deinterlacing of the 1080i master to 1080p is to blame with Fugitive, FMJ, etc. This is not an encoding issue, just a wrong deinterlace method was used.

Also, Blazing Saddles looked like a$$? Are you sure you saw the same movie I have? I think for a 32 year old movie, it actually looks bada$$. The transfer is excellent, and everything but the stock footage used in the movie looks like it was shot recently.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I know that but should everyone abandon hd dvd because of it? No and they should not blu-ray either. Dvd is the same way some look spectacular and some are awful but no one has abandoned dvd have they?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Its amazing how this is becoming blu-ray is awful before its even launced and based on a few movies. I think hd dvd is doomed because the fugitive shows how awful vc-1 is. Maybe you havent read this review.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/50firstdates2.html

Now, this is more like it. '50 First Dates' is only the second Blu-ray title I reviewed following the somewhat underwhelming 'The Fifth Element,' and I wanted to do a complete 180 in terms of movie genre and style. Happily, this transfer proves that the Blu-ray format can deliver a picture as good as anything I've seen yet on HD DVD. Granted, this is not perfect demo material and is not consistently great, but in spots, it really holds its own with the best high-definition transfers out there.
Bolding mine.

not consistently great You notice that? Cliff, mentioned the exact same thing in his review. It's apparent that this format can indeed output a great picture, but for some reason (whether its the player or the discs) the quality can not be maintained from start to finish.

Besides, 50 First Dates doesn't have much motion in it, so you're not getting a good test out of that one.

I do agree with your other point though. It's simply not fair to unequivocally declare Blu-ray a bad format because of a few rotten apples. Then again, those giving their honest opinions aren't doing that. Cliff was very clear about the potential of the format with it's added size and large amount of CE/studio support.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
but dont forget this part but it does prove the format can deliver on the bottom line

I sorta-enjoyed '50 First Dates,' but given the appeal of Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, I couldn't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Still, it is a cute movie and an enjoyable time-waster. Certainly, in terms of a Blu-ray release, this is comparable to most of what has come out on HD DVD so far. Great picture, good sound, and a typical port of the DVD supplemental features (even if not everything made it over in the conversion). Of course, '50 First Dates' is not exactly the A-list title that will get mainstream consumers to jump onboard the Blu-ray love train, but it does prove the format can deliver on the bottom line.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
I know that but should everyone abandon hd dvd because of it? No and they should not blu-ray either. Dvd is the same way some look spectacular and some are awful but no one has abandoned dvd have they?
No, you're absolutely right with not abandoning a technology with just a few bad apples. My concern right now with BD (yes, I own the player) is that the SL are probably bit starved. I can only conclude that with some of the software reviews, however, I want to see it with my own eyes (have Terminator, T2, and TFE on order) before I pass judgement.

I probably won't get to see those titles until Thursday at the earliest though. :(

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Some have said terminator looks great. Hd just sometimes for some reason dosen't look as good as some do and it makes you shake your head why.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Congratulations, Cliff, on an outstanding summary of what's going on with the two formats. Sony and BD had better get their act together with BD50 and advanced codecs FAST.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Quote:
No one has said it about the first HD DVD's. That's the problem. This (like it or not) is a competition and a majority of HD DVD's (including those part of the first releases) are killer. They need to do better, pure and simple.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Williams
Best and most thorough review I've read/seen thus far.
Very thorough, indeed the glass is half empty. It had better be filled quick like cliff claims or there will be very tough times ahead for Blu-Ray as an HD movie format. I don't expect I will make a step backwards.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Quote:
UMMM yes they have and look in the hd movie side and see whats being said about fugitive and a few others,
UMMM again...The Fugitive was not a part of the first couple of batches of discs.

Thus far, we have seen almost every BD release criticized.

61 - 80 of 528 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.