AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Costco deal on the HD-D2 (A2) yesterday, and all is fine and dandy. I just had a question however. The unit came with a HDMI cable in the box. It is just a regular black cable, that is pretty thin. Should I buy a "better" HDMI cable, and will it make that much of a difference? Thank you for any advice on this in advance.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioGambino /forum/post/0

I just got the Costco deal on the HD-D2 (A2) yesterday, and all is fine and dandy. I just had a question however. The unit came with a HDMI cable in the box. It is just a regular black cable, that is pretty thin. Should I buy a "better" HDMI cable, and will it make that much of a difference? Thank you for any advice on this in advance.

Hook it up and see if it works.

Contrary to what a Best Buy salesman will tell you, a digital signal is a digital signal. As long as those 1's and 0's are going through that cable it's just as good as the $100 Monster HDMI cable.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hooked it up last night, and it looked great. I was just wondering if a different cable would actually make a difference or not. I've heard people say what you said, and other people say the cable makes a difference. Thank you for your advice. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If it looks great with the current HDMI cable a new one will make no difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:

I hooked it up last night, and it looked great. I was just wondering if a different cable would actually make a difference or not. I've heard people say what you said, and other people say the cable makes a difference. Thank you for your advice. Anybody else have an opinion on this?

Opinions don't really matter. It's a fact. As long as you are not seeing any obvious glitches in the picture, 100% of the signal is making it to the television.

Digital does not degrade gracefully like analog does. With analog, if you are only getting 95% of the signal, you'll still have a plenty good picture. With digital, if you are only getting 95% of the signal, you don't see anything.

The best analogy I ever heard is imagine two hilltops. Someone on one hilltop is shining a signal light at you on the other. With analog, you have to write down how bright the signal is, from 0 to 100%. With digital, you just have to write down whether it's on or off. Which one is easier to do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Back in the day Monster Cable offered a premium Telephone cable for old school 56K modems to ensure "high speed" operation. It had shielded, gold pins, yada yada $50. Not sure how they get buy with such blatent false advertising.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:

It's probably the same thin cable that came with my RCA HDV5000 (A1 equivalent). I'm using it to drive my projector DVI-D interface from a splitter -- works perfectly. Don't worry, it's fine for its length, no need to replace it.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison /forum/post/0

Yes. The CostCo player comes with an HDMI cable. But I don't see the fuss. I got a 6 foot cord from Monoprice for under $6 (under $9 with shipping). Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Why so defensive? I don't see how this contributes to this thread at all. I don't believe that he was bragging about getting the cable with the player or anything like that. Besides... I don't think it's a bad deal at all when the player comes with the player so you don't have to wait for shipping to get one from Monoprice. Not to mention the player is $50 cheaper than getting it from Best Buy or ~$17 cheaper than getting it off of Amazon. All in all, a great deal in my mind.

In response to the OP, like everyone else said, if you are getting a picture, then the cable is fine and should be good enough. I too picked up the HD-D2 from Costco and have been very happy with the player and cable so far.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtClodimus /forum/post/0

Why so defensive? I don't see how this contributes to this thread at all. I don't believe that he was bragging about getting the cable with the player or anything like that. Besides... I don't think it's a bad deal at all when the player comes with the player so you don't have to wait for shipping to get one from Monoprice. Not to mention the player is $50 cheaper than getting it from Best Buy or ~$17 cheaper than getting it off of Amazon. All in all, a great deal in my mind.

I'm not being defensive at all. I think some wires got crossed somewhere along the line. Yes, the player comes with a free HDMI cable. That's great. But considering how cheaply they can be acquired through other means, I don't think that should be a big selling point. Some people still seem to think that you need an HDMI cable that cost $50+ dollars (Best Buy has a 8' cable from Monster lists for $120
) I've not seen anyone here suggesting that you spend that much of course. But I wanted to make it clear that the free HDMI shouldn't be the deciding factor here since you can get one for a very reasonable price.

I ordered one ahead of time. Then I got the D2 and discovered I have a spare. I plan to purchase a new receiver soon, so that actually works out good since I plan to get an HDMI receiver. So I wasn't trying to be defensive. It's a nice little bonus if you go the CostCo route.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:

Hmm , How come you didn't mention the 5 free movies that come with the player?

Costco also sell for 99.00 a set of 8 high performance cables + 1 adapter, HDTV Hook-up kit, by WireLogic. These are all 6' 7" long.

As already mentioned, HDMI is just 0's and 1's (digital data). If some of those don't get through, you will see patches on your HDTV, usually blue or green squares here and there or, maybe a moment of picture freeze. But I seriously doubt you need to spend the extra money to get another cable when / if the one you got is already doing an excellent job, there will be no difference with a more expensive cable, unless you want your player further (in distance) from your HDTV and the cable you have is not long enough.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKal /forum/post/0

Back in the day Monster Cable offered a premium Telephone cable for old school 56K modems to ensure "high speed" operation. It had shielded, gold pins, yada yada $50. Not sure how they get buy with such blatent false advertising.

Uneducated consumers making purchases always fall for marketing ploys such as these.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD /forum/post/0

Another point in favor of the Costo, then... Intriguing! I wonder if HDDVD died... if I could still return it at Costco in a year or two and get a Blu-ray standalone. :runs:

You could, but then what would you do with those 12 HD disks!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison /forum/post/0

I'm not being defensive at all. I think some wires got crossed somewhere along the line. Yes, the player comes with a free HDMI cable. That's great. But considering how cheaply they can be acquired through other means, I don't think that should be a big selling point. Some people still seem to think that you need an HDMI cable that cost $50+ dollars (Best Buy has a 8' cable from Monster lists for $120
) I've not seen anyone here suggesting that you spend that much of course. But I wanted to make it clear that the free HDMI shouldn't be the deciding factor here since you can get one for a very reasonable price.

I ordered one ahead of time. Then I got the D2 and discovered I have a spare. I plan to purchase a new receiver soon, so that actually works out good since I plan to get an HDMI receiver. So I wasn't trying to be defensive. It's a nice little bonus if you go the CostCo route.

Sorry, maybe I just read your post wrong. I hate forum posts sometimes... hard to judge "tone." I agree... most definitely do not need to spend a ton of money on an HDMI cable. I think that the Costco had more going for it than just the free cable (lower price, dealing with Costco customer service instead of Best Buy or whereever, etc). Hope you're enjoying the D2 as much as I am!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you very much for the replies guys! I will definitely just use this included cable then, it has done me very good for the past few nights of movie viewing. It just sucks that Monster and these other companies are making all these expensive cables portraying them like they make a world of difference.

I was at Best Buy the other day and they had a Monster HDMI cable for $169 bucks.
It was the Monster 1000 series or some crap like that.

·
Registered
12,097 Posts

Quote:

Thank you very much for the replies guys! I will definitely just use this included cable then, it has done me very good for the past few nights of movie viewing. It just sucks that Monster and these other companies are making all these expensive cables portraying them like they make a world of difference.

I was at Best Buy the other day and they had a Monster HDMI cable for $169 bucks.
It was the Monster 1000 series or some crap like that.

Best Buy and Circuit City also have huge markups on these cables and really push them on people. I got suckered on a Monster cable years ago at CC before I found this site. Now I buy almost everything off www.monoprice.com (AVS sponsor).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.