AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the unit at BJS (thats why the d2 and not a2) for my sanyo z1 projector. I have seen HD material source on the projector before and what I am seeing does not seem any better than 480p. The unit D2 reports that is outputting 1080i, but I do not really have any way to verify (it does not look it, plus when I set the D2 to 480p, I can not tell the difference). I am using the component cables. Does the D2 unit down convert the signal to 480p over component? Am I stuck as a victim of HDCP? The manual says this may happen, but does not discuss any details about it. Any help would be great. I also found out that I am running firmware 1.3 (I am updating now). Might this help?

TIA

·
Registered
784 Posts
It's not clear from your post: Are you watching an HD-DVD on the player and not seeing a difference between it and an SD DVD? Or, are you seeing no difference when watching a SD DVD on the D2 vs on a non-upscaling DVD player?

If it's the latter, then that's my experience, too. In other words, your projector upscales as well as the D2 and so you're not seeing any noticiable difference. If it's the former, I think something must be wrong - and HD-DVD should definitely look better than an SD DVD.

Mitch

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider-m /forum/post/0

I purchased the unit at BJS (thats why the d2 and not a2) for my sanyo z1 projector. I have seen HD material source on the projector before and what I am seeing does not seem any better than 480p. The unit D2 reports that is outputting 1080i, but I do not really have any way to verify (it does not look it, plus when I set the D2 to 480p, I can not tell the difference). I am using the component cables. Does the D2 unit down convert the signal to 480p over component? Am I stuck as a victim of HDCP? The manual says this may happen, but does not discuss any details about it. Any help would be great. I also found out that I am running firmware 1.3 (I am updating now). Might this help?

TIA

I think what you're suspecting is true, you are a victim of HDCP. The D2 will only upconvert through HDMI. It won't upconvert through component.

edit: I'm referring to regular DVDs and not HD DVDs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i set the player on 1080i or 480p for an hd dvd I do not see any difference between the two. in other words i am expecting a 1080i HD experience and feel like i am getting a 480p experience with an hddvd (King Kong). I see no difference between the output settings.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts

Quote:

when i set the player on 1080i or 480p for an hd dvd I do not see any difference between the two. in other words i am expecting a 1080i HD experience and feel like i am getting a 480p experience with an hddvd (King Kong). I see no difference between the output settings.

Does it look like 1080i or 480p? KK in HD should look much better than a regular DVD at 480p.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:

TIA

I'm pretty sure that I have read reports of the component signal being down-converted in certain cases if the HDMI output was used in a certain manner. However, your projector does not possess an HDMI or a DVI input. So unless you connected the toshiba to another display with an HDMI or DVI input, this possibility can be ruled out. Also, the HD-A2 will not up-convert a standard DVD to 1080i or 720p when using the component output. As a matter of fact, when this occurs on my unit, a message is displayed on the screen indicating that the output is limited to 480p. In spite of all this, I have no problem obtaining a 1080i output from the HD-A2 over component when playing HD DVD's, and I can verify the resolution with the menu system on my Sony projector. In addition, the resolution of the Z1 is only 964x544, and feeding this projector with a 1080i signal should increase the picture quality somewhat - but not to the extent seen on a 720p or a 1080i display.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i understand that I will not get the quality of a true 1080i signal, however I have feed the z1 1080i signal, through the vga downgraded to 960x540, and the pic quality is much better than what I am seeing for kong.

The thing that bothers me most is the following:

Setting the d2 at 1080i output and playing the hd dvd gives me the same visual appearance at playing the hd dvd at a 480p output, now maybe the unit realizes that I am using an hd dvd and automatically outputs at 1080i regardless of the setting or reported output.

Anyone else using the component cables on the z1 and getting 1080i?

Again, TIA

·
Registered
275 Posts

Quote:

i understand that I will not get the quality of a true 1080i signal, however I have feed the z1 1080i signal, through the vga downgraded to 960x540, and the pic quality is much better than what I am seeing for kong.

The King Kong HD DVD is universally known as one of the best examples of high definition content from an optical medium, so the difference between 480p and 1080i should be relatively apparent with your display.

Quote:

The thing that bothers me most is the following:

Setting the d2 at 1080i output and playing the hd dvd gives me the same visual appearance at playing the hd dvd at a 480p output, now maybe the unit realizes that I am using an hd dvd and automatically outputs at 1080i regardless of the setting or reported output.

Anyone else using the component cables on the z1 and getting 1080i?

Again, TIA

In contrast to the bi-directional nature of the HDMI connection, when the component connection is used, the HD-D2 will not be able to recognize what type of display it is connected to. As such, the Toshiba should output the chosen resolution from the "Resolution Setting" submenu. So, if the "Resolution Setting" comes up as "Up to 1080i" when you enter the video settings menu, 1080i should be the output from the component connection - if the unit is funtioning properly. You may also want to try a "hard reboot", where the "power on" button is held down for about 30 seconds. This procedure has been detailed in other HD-A2 threads on this forum.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You mentioned you were updating, did that help at all?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
For a start your projector doesn't meet the minimum requirements to be called a high definition device so i wouldn't expect miracles out of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.