AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, so i'm sincerely looking for wisdom and help in understanding these issues.

most importantly, i wish to understand if in my case i can fix my issues with calibration or if it is out of my hands. it's my understanding that in my particular case the issue can not be resolved by calibration, but i could be wrong. that's why i'm here.

why not use component you ask? well, great question. mainly because i just spent a signifcant (to me) amount of money upgrading to a new pioneer elite vsx-84txsi hdmi receiver to pair with my hd-a1 and i'd like to take advantage of the losless audioformats over HDMI and not have to mess with a spagetti bowl of RCAs. with that said, i'll give you a little more info regarding my situation.

my head has been spinning of late with all the talk, confusion and misinformation regarding colorspace issues, black crush and the failure for the Toshiba players to pass BTB/WTW information on to my display. when i brought my player home i immediately upgraded the firmware. after it completed it's update, i slapped in bourne supremacy and i IMMEDIATELY knew i had a problem. the image was "dark", shadow detail was non existent. the picture clarity was stunning, but the lack of shadow detail and the poor blacks were enough to cry about.

i began investigating and quickly came to learn some new terms that make me cringe now when i hear them. yes, you know the ones.

okay, so enough about my initial experience. here's my hardware and here's what i've experienced. can you please take a look at this and tell me if i can "calibrate" either of these setups to regain my shadow detail and black level and where i would begin.

IN72 and IN76

Pioneer VSX-84XTXSI

Startech 3-port DVI Switch

Toshiba HD-A1

connection scenario 1

HDMI from HD-A1 to 84. HDMI-DVI to Switch. DVI-HDMI port on display.

results: colorspace on display reports REC709. blacks are horrible. shadow detail is practically non-existent. BTB/WTW not passed.

connection scenario 2

bypass dvi switch. HDMI to HDMI receiver. HDMI to HDMI port on display.

results: colorspace on display reports REC709. black are still horrible. shadow detail is practically non-existent. BTB/WTW not passed.

connection scenario 3

connect to M1 port on display with HDMI-M1 adapter. through AVR and DVI switch.

colorspace on display reports RGB Video. *This can be manually changed to RGB.

BTB/WTW still not there. Changing to RGB gains a slight improvement in black level, but BTB and WTW are still not passed.

i used the THX drop shadow test on CARS for the BTB test.

so there you have it. any advice and guidance is much appreciated. can i get back what i'm missing through calibration with the M1-HDMI connection? or am i still missing information information in the "conversion" from the player to the display?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Use the test HD dVD that is floating around this forum ... it will help a lot.

Regards

·
Registered
315 Posts
My A1 with 2.0 firmware does pass the BTB/WTW tests it did not with rev 1.4. If it works on my A1 it should at least indicate that it is coming out of the A1 correctly.

Of course I am using a straight HDMI connection to my Sony. I know the A2 had a lot of DVI/HDMI issues that were fixed, perhaps this is the issue. Toshiba recently came out with a fix for the A2 have you checked to see if they fixed colorspace BTB issues with the new A2 firmware.

Have you eliminated all the variables except the display/HDDVD to see that is not the switch or reciever or DVI? If new A2 firmware is released I would expect the A1 would be updated soon.

-Craig

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
an interesting update. i played with the "HDMI DDC" setting on my display. you can turn it off or on for HDMI and the M1 port.

when i turn it off, my black crush is eliminated and the picture is great, with one HUGE exception. i can not get anything other than 480P. also, turning off DDC alows me to select both RGB and RGB video on the display. RGB looks the best with greater shadow detail, but still no BTB or WTW. i can live with that though if it would only output at 1080i.

i wonder if this is related to the initial firmware release on the A2's only outputing 480P on some displays.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.