AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked Amazon and as of this afternooon Toshiba HD DVD players are the #1 and #2 ranked next generation DVD player sold!!! At this rate one would think at some point later on in the year.... growing demand for HD DVD software will be something the studios will not be able to ignore anymore, despite their exlcusive contracts.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Its a long shot, but if they can sell millions of players to people who are in the market for upconverting machines, the format might have a chance. The lack of new Warner titles will sting though.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodien /forum/post/12861188

Its a long shot, but if they can sell millions of players to people who are in the market for upconverting machines, the format might have a chance. The lack of new Warner titles will sting though.

we need to buy movies though!

I have been bad at that.

but I really hate to spend over 20 bucks per movie.

Hell, I would much rather spend 14 bucks if possible.

I realize 10 bucks is not reasonable.

they have to work on price matching dvd big time.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdajr /forum/post/12861302

we need to buy movies though!

I have been bad at that.

but I really hate to spend over 20 bucks per movie.

Hell, I would much rather spend 14 bucks if possible.

I realize 10 bucks is not reasonable.

they have to work on price matching dvd big time.

That is the next hurdle to climb.

The fact that Amazon shows #1 & #2 will show the studios that there are demographics to sell to.

That is why the bluephiles keep coming here to denigrate & attack.

They were afraid a price decline would keep the war going & eventually lead to movie sales.

The latter hasn't taken place yet. But if they want to keep extrapolating that WB has swung the pedulum, the HD can do the same with the increase box sales.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I heard that the next thing that Toshiba my do is drop prices it charges for its disks and request manufacuters to drop prices on new movies to equal or go below current SD's. This will start to bring pressure on companies like Warner et all to start going neutral if HD DVD start outselling SD.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My personal opinion:

why is the media not priced LOWER. Heavens, Kevin Tsujihara himself stated that HDDVD was cheaper to produce.

So why is the savings not passed on to the customer? They really need to figure this out fast, as time is really against them on all counts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think the time for half-measures has long passed, it saddens me that the current price-cuts were not brought in before X-mas 2007 but there we go. What's done is done.

It's my view that Toshiba ought to go all out.

Make it a straight-forward choice.

Why bother with a $100 upscaling SD DVD player when you can get the HD A3 for the same money (which it practically is now).

I'd like to see them remove any reason why the punter would choose the SD DVD player, the obvious update that ought to happen is the inclusion of Divx/Xvid support.

Like it or not that is a feature the public like to have.

There's no point fighting the current SD DVD sales tide but merging into it would be useful.

The Twin disc could do such a thing & if produced in sufficient volume (ie stop making separate SD & HD DVD discs) could surely be retailed at or around the current level for new SD DVDs.

The thing that underlies all of this is that everybody's' high def movie disc sales numbers are at 'drop in the ocean' levels compared to the total movie disc market.

HD DVD can play cautious & clever all it likes but in doing so it is missing the opportunity to put this 'war' to bed.

HD DVD is on the verge of taking the war to the SD DVD market.

That's truly excellent & about time IMO.

Bold and decisive actions like the - very welcome - price cuts need to be part of an overall strategy, the movie discs simply have to come down in cost too and any residual reason for the public to choose an SD DVD player over an HD DVD player simply has to be removed.

If HD DVD hardware sales stay at the current excellent level (I see the HD A3 was at one point this week the 3rd biggest selling electrical item in the entire Amazon USA inventory) then we can be absolutely certain this war is far from settled or over.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Take a couple of high-profile titles and ONLY sell them with a DVD and an HD DVD in the case, along with a booklet explaining what HD DVD is and what HD DVD players can do, along with a coupon to buy a Toshiba HD-A3 for $99. THAT would sell a ton of players.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/12861951

Take a couple of high-profile titles and ONLY sell them with a DVD and an HD DVD in the case, along with a booklet explaining what HD DVD is and what HD DVD players can do, along with a coupon to buy a Toshiba HD-A3 for $99. THAT would sell a ton of players.

...The put up or shut approach. Have to concur. The days of being able to fiddle numbers are done. They need to play big or stay home. No room for children anymore. That includes support studios.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/12861951

Toshiba is already selling tons of players,the problem is the disc prices are too high for J6P.Until HDM is priced the same as SD people will buy SD.The only way HD DVD has a chance of surviving is if they sell more discs.

BTW:I own a A20.

·
Registered
601 Posts
New Warner titles?

THE INVASION just shipped for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
price the combo hddvd-dvd disk the same as a new dvd and boom ...claim first hi def to open to a million ,would also close the gap bigtime on overall sales numbers

couple that with the cheap players and you got a winner

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
i am format neutral, but im kinda pissed at toshiba for this "last minute savior" plan. i agree, there should have been specials before christmas. now, when the company knows its going down, it suddenly can afford to sell their players at ridiculously low prices and even talk about lowering the cost os hd discs. basically, what i understand from them... is that they have been screwing the consumer up until now and when push comes to shove, suddenly they can offer much better pricing. sorry, but im not for that kind of behavior.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I am for that behavior. But it might be a nickle short and 5 minutes too late.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The problem I see here is the assumption that the studio's care, and are 'in touch' with their customers. I have seen no such indication from the studio's myself. Warner Bros' decision most certainly did not take into account heavy HD DVD player sales during the Christmas season---their mind was already made up. Also, it sure looks to me as though Paramount and Universal are holding out on a lot of us by not releasing some of their big hits. I would like to believe that heavy HD DVD player sales NOW would get them thinking, but does anyone truly believe they give a darn?? I'm losing faith...

·
Registered
266 Posts
What? HD DVD is the BEST selling DVD player of any kind on Amazon.com right now? That can't be true, Warner said consumers are picking Bluray and The BDA said HD DVD is dead.....AGAIN

I just checked amazon.com now and the A3 was the 5th highest selling in the "all electronics" catagorie .

Bluray? Well they didn't even crack the top 100.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
dude that JUST amazon.

Do not use AMAZON (or ONE site) to try and validate #. Even NPD is INCOMPLETE but it is the closest thing we got to almost complete

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. /forum/post/12862150

i am format neutral, but im kinda pissed at toshiba for this "last minute savior" plan. i agree, there should have been specials before christmas. now, when the company knows its going down, it suddenly can afford to sell their players at ridiculously low prices and even talk about lowering the cost os hd discs. basically, what i understand from them... is that they have been screwing the consumer up until now and when push comes to shove, suddenly they can offer much better pricing. sorry, but im not for that kind of behavior.

I hope your angst is multiplied times 100 for Blu-Ray hardware companies. Maxpower in the Insiders thread is on record stating that companies are holding player prices high to make money and not to count on price reductions soon. At least Toshiba is selling their product at a reasonable price and is willing to take a loss. Sony is using their studio support advantage to continue gouging customers with beta spec machines. If anyone is screwing the customer, it's them.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHTGeek /forum/post/12862326

Though this might be still working at Amazon. It looks like the Sharp and Panasonic player are ahead of the A3 at Circuit.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HD-DV...ategorylist.do

Keep in mind I don't know if this is online only but the A3 was ahead earlier this week.

The Sharp and Panasonic models are free with purchase of like-modeled HDTV this week -- that is likely contributing some to their totals.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.