AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the HD DVD forum since I bought my XA 2 and well before HD DVD lost the battle. I think it was the superior technology. Oh well.

I hope that I can ask on this thread:

- Why did I recently receive an upgrade CD from Toshiba?

- What is this upgrade for?

- And................. If the "war" is over why are they providing

upgrades
????????????????

- I noticed you saying that the X A2 is highly sought after. Why? Wouldn't

people be putting their money into Blu Ray now? If someone would want to give me decent money for my unit, which I thought was worthless

until I saw this thread, why wouldn't I take it and put it toward a

Blu Ray palyer?

I'm sure this has been hashed over on this forum a billion times but I just returned after getting this latest disk.

Thanks

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAudiophobe /forum/post/14234829

I haven't been on the HD DVD forum since I bought my XA 2 and well before HD DVD lost the battle. I think it was the superior technology. Oh well.

I hope that I can ask on this thread:

upgrades
????????????????

people be putting their money into Blu Ray now? If someone would want to give me decent money for my unit, which I thought was worthless

Blu Ray palyer?

I'm sure this has been hashed over on this forum a billion times but I just returned after getting this latest disk.

Thanks

There's a thread for the update... read it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Quote:

upgrades
????????????????

... because they are continuing to support those who supported them. Kinda classy, if you ask me.

Quote:
- I noticed you saying that the X A2 is highly sought after. Why? Wouldn't people be putting their money into Blu Ray now?

For one thing, blu land has nothing (aside from the $2000 Denon) that even approaches the quality and completeness of this player (IMHO). I'm hoping that the upcoming Pioneer 51FD/Elite 05FD rectifies this (not counting the "Live!" stuff - which I don't care about anyway), but the way it looks now, even they will have an inferior analog section...

In a nutshell, for those who still enjoy their HD-DVD library and see no reason to simply "jump ship" just because the war didn't go their way, the XA2/Onkyo/Integra represents the absolute best HD-DVD has to offer (now, and in the foreseeable future).

·
Registered
426 Posts
IMHO, There is no blu-ray player that comes even close to the XA2. Blu-ray was 2 years behind HD-DVD and they're trying to close the gap. Probably late 2009 or early 2010, blu-ray will have closed the gap completely and be finally "final" (with *decent* 2.0 profile players). Then I will probably "jump ship".

For now, I still enjoy my HD-DVD library and it's wonderful that Toshiba still provide fixes.

Pitou!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at "grubavs's" thread and I know that it would be nice to think it's " ... because they (Toshiba) are continuing to support those who supported them" and it's "classy" but Toshiba has, obviously, already sold all the units they are going to sell. In the end, they are a corporation with corporate mentality. So to think they are going through the expense to help us with no return is, to me, a bit naive. Maybe they have a contractual obligation to service units for "x" number of years (like auto companies), but even that (with entertainment devices) seems unlikely. That would mean that there is a group within the company that they pay to continue to monitor problems and and react to them. Why would they do this since there is no return to them? If you owned a company with a dead product would you choose to spend money and resources continue to upgrade it's usability?

I appreciate it. I think it's great. I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
In the end? I think Tosh wants to keep their hand in this pie. Maybe the new China market is the reason.

I'm not sure. It would not surprise me if Tosh ends up making money at some point down the line with the technology.

·
Registered
28,803 Posts

Quote:
If someone would want to give me decent money for my unit, which I thought was worthless until I saw this thread, why wouldn't I take it and put it toward a Blu Ray player?

You should probably put your unit up on ebay if you want to get rid of it. It should fetch a nice price for you.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:

upgrades
????????????????

Blu Ray palyer?

Thanks

TOSHIBA HD DVD shall be risen from the dead and set forth to re-take the hi-def universe.

HAIL TO THE CHIEF, HAIL TOSHIBA!!!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
LOL...

I have got to get one of these. I run a decently major dedicated theater, SD-DVD is still the lfie blood of it.
Well, I have a decent selection of HD-DVD as well.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Since most people still have large libraries of SD DVDs, many of which have yet to be re-released in either HD format, having an excellent upconverting player is a serious consideration.

The HD-XA2 and it's Onkyo clone have some of the best chips for scaling and upconversion available and provide the added benefit of being able to play HD DVDs as well.

The closest alternative stand alone DVD player is the Oppo 983, which provides an equal (some say slightly better) image from SD DVDs. However that player is priced at $400 and so any bargain hunters who manage to get a hold of an XA2 or Onkyo 805 for $300 or less are getting a very good deal.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luclin999 /forum/post/14255801

Since most people still have large libraries of SD DVDs, many of which have yet to be re-released in either HD format, having an excellent upconverting player is a serious consideration.

The HD-XA2 and it's Onkyo clone have some of the best chips for scaling and upconversion available and provide the added benefit of being able to play HD DVDs as well.

The closest alternative stand alone DVD player is the Oppo 983, which provides an equal (some say slightly better) image from SD DVDs. However that player is priced at $400 and so any bargain hunters who manage to get a hold of an XA2 or Onkyo 805 for $300 or less are getting a very good deal.

yup! waiting on my onkyo refurb hd-xa2 clone 805 hd dvd player (under $180-shipped) mainly for dvds. its due in next tuesday.

i have an a2 and a30 i can use for hd dvds.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:

That was my exact reasoning one dark evening 6 months ago.... I love what my HD-XE1 can do.

And later I went nuts when the movie prices dropped. At some point I had 28 red boxes in transit from different vendors around the world.

oops and when the hardware prices bottomed out I sunk my claws into a EP35 for the living room.

Lately, I for a second thought about buying the Panasonic BD50... but I still have about 30 red movies that I have not watched yet.... and now I have gotten used to DVD prices for my HD material.... so no reason to get the blues yet.

I am a declared HDaholic avforums com/forums/showthread.php?t=732912

And to OP: Toshiba are obliged by law -> warranty

·
Registered
219 Posts
that is just a decent thing to do. especially after so suddenly decied to raise the white flag. that`s really the least they can do.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Quote:

The closest alternative stand alone DVD player is the Oppo 983, which provides an equal (some say slightly better) image from SD DVDs.

Has anybody done a side-by-side comparison of the XA2 and Oppo 983 with SD-DVD's? If so, how did they compare?

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/14251120

IMHO, There is no blu-ray player that comes even close to the XA2. Blu-ray was 2 years behind HD-DVD and they're trying to close the gap. Probably late 2009 or early 2010, blu-ray will have closed the gap completely and be finally "final" (with *decent* 2.0 profile players). Then I will probably "jump ship".

For now, I still enjoy my HD-DVD library and it's wonderful that Toshiba still provide fixes.

Pitou!

QFT

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullin /forum/post/14259115

Has anybody done a side-by-side comparison of the XA2 and Oppo 983 with SD-DVD's? If so, how did they compare?

Yes, many owners did and XA2 won.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts