AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better for pure DVD playing AND CD Audio play from Analog output?

I can get a demo XA-2 for $100!

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can get a Toshiba HD-XA2 for $100 USD? And you are asking that question? Buddy go for it, that's a hell of a machine built like a tank and with high quality.

You cannot compare it with OPPO....LOOOOL

You are comparing a Porsche with a Volkswagen...

Besides the HD-XA2 uses the Realta HQV Processor, same used by Denon on they High End DVD Players like 3930 and A1....very expensive players by the way.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
y'know, you'd think that someone who is such an obvious fanboy would at least know what hardware is in the box...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
alex, as far as dvd playing, what do you have for a display?

fwiw, the reon processor (yes, reon, not realta
), in the xa2 is likely to be somewhat better than the processing in the 980 on "difficult" material... that being said, dependent upon your display, you may be best served simply by passing native 480i from the player....

as far as the analog audio output... the 980 was designed with audio in mind, and it is unlikely that the xa2 will perform as well... ymmv, and it depends on how picky you are...

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I have both players and would certainly buy an HD-XA2 for $100. I would say the HD-XA2 is better for DVD and DV-980H better for CD. Other formats needed would be the deciding factor as to which player I would put in any given system. The DV-980H plays SACD and DVD-A and all-region DVD-V. The HD-XA2 plays HD DVD. Both players are excellent for their intended purpose in my opinion.

Chris

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^^

i'd say that's a fair assessment...

the only reason i personally wouldn't purchase it is because i have too many disk spinners already...
but from strictly a price standpoint, $100 would seem to be a more than adequate deal...

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16906671

^^^^

i'd say that's a fair assessment...

the only reason i personally wouldn't purchase it is because i have too many disk spinners already...
but from strictly a price standpoint, $100 would seem to be a more than adequate deal...

I have way too many players but an HD-XA2 with warranty for $100 would be purchased and connected and some other player put in the closet. Even without warranty, I would buy it, but would check it out then put it in the closet.

Chris

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/16908094

considering that toshiba is super slow, buggy with DVDR's and start from where you left off in middle of a disk, I'd avoid it. PQ isn't that much better for the inconveniences.

I don't know about the DVD+/-R issues but I agree with the other points. The Oppo DV-980H is rock solid, well designed from an operational standpoint and fast. In this hobby, tiny incremental improvements are always noteworthy and the HD-XA2 does offer very good video performance. Would everybody notice the difference? I don't know but if I didn't own any HD DVD's, I would probably prefer the DV-980H for all that it does and could live with the DVD-V performance which has always impressed me for the price.

Chris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16906502

alex, as far as dvd playing, what do you have for a display?

fwiw, the reon processor (yes, reon, not realta
), in the xa2 is likely to be somewhat better than the processing in the 980 on "difficult" material... that being said, dependent upon your display, you may be best served simply by passing native 480i from the player....

as far as the analog audio output... the 980 was designed with audio in mind, and it is unlikely that the xa2 will perform as well... ymmv, and it depends on how picky you are...

I got a Kuro 9G (111FD).

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb76 /forum/post/16910589

I got a Kuro 9G (111FD).

imo, i'd pass it raw from the player and let the display do the processing...

that doesn't mean you can't experiment with a test disk or two... experimentation is what makes this hobby fun...

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16919321

imo, i'd pass it raw from the player and let the display do the processing...

that doesn't mean you can't experiment with a test disk or two... experimentation is what makes this hobby fun...

I have a Kuro 5020 and a HD-XA2. IMO, the processor in the Kuro is very good for a TV, but it's not a Reon. You won't be able to pass a "raw" signal anyway as the HD-XA2 won't pass 480i over HDMI (I hope you're not using component). I definitely agree with the idea of experimenting though. The Kuro processor is not chopped liver and yes, it is one of the things that makes this hobby fun.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
as noted, i don't have a xa2 (although i did)...

a couple of things...

- you may be underestimating the processing in the kuro...

- processing in the 111fd (the op's display) is not the same as in the 5020...

- 480i over component (since the question at hand was sd performance, not hd) fed directly to my 150fd was a "wash" at best... both via test disks and actual real live viewing...

as i suggested, he should try it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts