AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all members.

I will describe exactly the situation for any help.

About a month ago I tried to watch with my son one of the around 120 HD-DVD films I bought and have not find yet the time to check. It is the Harry Potter 3 (the prisoner of Azkaban) bought from Australia.

After the first copy protection warning and Warner logo, it stopped and displayed on the player's display NOTPLAY and on screen System error occurred.

I tried then the same second Harry Potter 3 disc bought from UK, and it played fine. Firmware is 4.0. Never again experienced any read problems with that player. I have it for a little less than 2 years but no hard work.

My first thought was about a faulty disc.

But 2 days before I tried it on the second new XE1 I have inbox with firmware 3.0 and run fine, all disc. I tried again on the old XE1 and faulted again on the same point as before.

Both players except different firmware (4.0 and 3.0 respectively) are region free with 2.51 firmware.

I thought the fault had to do with the firmware version on the oldest XE1 (4.0).

So yesterday I loaded the 2.7 rollback firmware and the player updated as normally, rolling back from 4.0 to 2.7. Unfortunately it faulted as before on reading the Harry Potter 3 AU movie, exactly as before.

Then I decided to load the 3.0 firmware version I have which when it was launched I had loaded it succesfully on both players.

The first steps went as normal displaying VERUP and then STEP 1/1 up to STEP5/5 and then ejected the tray with the disc and shutdown itself.

But after power on, it displayed WELCOME, after a few seconds the main center blue light came on and nothing else happened. The tray stayed opened from the earlier ejection and the player was frozen. No function on any button. After pressing for around 10 seconds the player's power button it went to standbuy but with the tray still open.

I tried power up a few more times but always with the same freezing reaction and the only respond was the power off (by holding 10 seconds the power button).

Then I pushed in the tray by hand manually, but after power on, again the same, just the WELCOME display and nothing more, it freezes there. I left it on that and after around 5-10 minutes it displayed on the display 2007C033. And again, no button respond, every button I press on either the remote or the player justs beeps and that's all.

I tried a few times but only the same, WELCOME and after 5-10 minutes 2007C033.

Of course nothing at all on screen, no video signal of any kind.

No power loss happened during any update.

Contacting Toshiba Europe, they said I should contact Toshiba service in Greece which I did, and the technician on phone said that he is almost sure that the main board is damaged and it will cost close to the player's price to replace it.

The player is out of any warranty.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mipi /forum/post/15662517

No one experienced something similar;

One HD-XE1 which I had was stuck on WELCOME but it did not show any error code no matter how long I waited. So, no, I have not experienced exactly similar. Only option was to send XE1 back to Toshiba which they could not repair so I got my money back and bought a new one.

The error code that you posted above is not one of those listed in the service manual but there was two 2007C*** codes which are related to "Version Up Error". Maybe error code 2007C033 belongs to the same category i.e. it is version update error. Your player may be trying to run phase 2 update which fails. Some firmware updates have two phases and phase 2 will be done when player is started after phase 1 update i.e. when update disc has been ejected and player has been shut down.

I am afraid there is not much that can be done about it. Unfortunately Toshiba did not implement fault tolerant firmware update system into their players (i.e. a system which has firmware flashing code on boot ROM or write protected partition on flash - how stupid is that on a consumer product
).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your reply.

I believe you are right as the player after update steps 1/1 up to 5/5 run as normal and shutdown itself, but after power up it did not complete the update as it should.

Thank's again.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarking /forum/post/15672719

mipi, check your PM.

Just right now I found the time to enter the forum again.

Many thank's tarking!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts