AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I appreciate the forums, first time I've posted but I've used the various forums many times to get information on my purchases.


I have a couple questions regarding a Toshiba HDD/DVD Video Recorder, type RD-XS35SU.


1) We used the supplied G-LINK to allow the recorder to control the cable box. It works. However, it works extremely, extremely slowly. For example, if we wish to change the channel, and type in 35 or something, it takes a good 3-4 seconds for the cable box to change to channel 35. Is this normal?


2) There's no way to watch television normally (without setting it to record) and pause/rewind, like a TIVO correct? I assume that is true, I just want to make certain. Is there another HDD-DVD with that sort of TIVO-like functionality?


3) My brother recorded a show to a DVD, but has had some trouble getting it to play on his computer. Is that normal?


Thanks for helping a newbie out. I appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornboy14 /forum/post/0


Hi all, I appreciate the forums, first time I've posted but I've used the various forums many times to get information on my purchases.


I have a couple questions regarding a Toshiba HDD/DVD Video Recorder, type RD-XS35SU.


1) We used the supplied G-LINK to allow the recorder to control the cable box. It works. However, it works extremely, extremely slowly. For example, if we wish to change the channel, and type in 35 or something, it takes a good 3-4 seconds for the cable box to change to channel 35. Is this normal?


2) There's no way to watch television normally (without setting it to record) and pause/rewind, like a TIVO correct? I assume that is true, I just want to make certain. Is there another HDD-DVD with that sort of TIVO-like functionality?


3) My brother recorded a show to a DVD, but has had some trouble getting it to play on his computer. Is that normal?


Thanks for helping a newbie out. I appreciate it.

1. does it take 3 or 4 seconds for the numbers to pop up or do the numbers pop up and it takes a few seconds for the channel to change?


2. Press the "timeslip" button on the remote. This will allow you to pause, RR, FF etc.


3. Not normal. Put the disc back in the machine. Press the DVD button. Press edit and go to DVD-Video creation option and follow the prompts to create a video.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
The Philips DVDR 3455/37 has the "Tivo-Like" "always on" recording of Live TV to the HDD. I think there has ben some mention of Toshiba's touchy copy-protection system creating playback problems with DVDs burned from the Toshi. Or it could be as simple as not finalizing the DVD on the Toshiba. Nextoo and a few others are much more up on the Toshis than I am and will likely be along soon to help you more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0


The Philips DVDR 3455/37 has the "Tivo-Like" "always on" recording of Live TV to the HDD. I think there has ben some mention of Toshiba's touchy copy-protection system creating playback problems with DVDs burned from the Toshi. Or it could be as simple as not finalizing the DVD on the Toshiba. Nextoo and a few others are much more up on the Toshis than I am and will likely be along soon to help you more.

LOL.....He beat my post anyway.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
1. does it take 3 or 4 seconds for the numbers to pop up or do the numbers pop up and it takes a few seconds for the channel to change?

It takes 3-4 seconds for the numbers to pop up to the cable box. It then changes channel as normal. So there's a lag between when it is entered, and when it appears on the cable box display. Using a cable box remote does not have this issue.

Quote:
2. Press the "timeslip" button on the remote. This will allow you to pause, RR, FF etc.

Thanks, we got that much working. I just didn't know if there was a way to have that always on, passively, like a TIVO.

Quote:
3. Not normal. Put the disc back in the machine. Press the DVD button. Press edit and go to DVD-Video creation option and follow the prompts to create a video.

Thanks - we just got this figured out. Apparently the discs were not properly formatted. Working correctly now.


Appreciate the help! I do have one other question to add - the TVGOS isn't updating. I've got digital cable. I'm slowly working through the LONG TVGOS thread, so hopefully I'll find some answers there. Anybody have any advice offhand? Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
It's slow to enter the digits on mine to my satellite box, but not that slow. nextoo's suggestion to try another code is good advice.


I would suggest that if you really want the "passive" TiVo recording, you should consider the Sony RDR-HX730. I prefer my RDXS35 because I want to have the option to save what I am watching in "Timeslip". The Sony and Philips DVRs are TiVo-like, but are not TiVos and do not allow you to save content that is recorded automatically to the temp space of the HDD for "Pause Live TV" mode as they call it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Tores.... with the Philips DVDR 3455/37 you can indeed save the Timeslip to the HDD as a "New Title". Simply press and hold the Record button for a few seconds and the entire contents of the "buffer" is dumped to the HDD. Then you can use Title Divide function to "cut and save" whatever portions of it you choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0


The Philips DVDR 3455/37 has the "Tivo-Like" "always on" recording of Live TV to the HDD.

Interesting, so then this Philips must also let you delete programs while it's still recording, right? (Or does it do something incredibly goofy/lame like stop the recording when you're in the menus or something like that.)


Does it also let you delete recordings while a timer recording is happening?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0


Tores.... with the Philips DVDR 3455/37 you can indeed save the Timeslip to the HDD as a "New Title". Simply press and hold the Record button for a few seconds and the entire contents of the "buffer" is dumped to the HDD. Then you can use Title Divide function to "cut and save" whatever portions of it you choose.

Good to know. Thanks for the correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack /forum/post/0


Interesting, so then this Philips must also let you delete programs while it's still recording, right? (Or does it do something incredibly goofy/lame like stop the recording when you're in the menus or something like that.)


Does it also let you delete recordings while a timer recording is happening?

To delete a currently recording program you must first Stop recording the program, and then delete it from the HDD Title Menu. I am not sure if you can delete a previously recorded program while a different recording is in progress. I tend not to do that type stuff while another recording is active on the off chance it might mess up my new recording-in-progress. I will try to check later tonight with a "dummy recording" just to see.


The Philips does not show the currently recording program in the HDD Title menu until that recording is either completed, or cancelled. Now it might be possible to cancel it from the Timer Schedule menu. I have never tried that either.


No problem, Torres, we all learn from each other here. That is why I like this forum so much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all the help here guys.


About the different code for my cable box - is there a place to find these codes online? I looked all through the manual and no luck. Found television codes, but nothing for cable boxes. I also can't seem to find it on the Toshiba site.


Thanks again.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top