AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry for the question that has probably been asked somewhere on the order of a million times. I'm about to move to Aurora, IL and I am getting a Toshiba 65H80 very soon. I'm not loyal to either cable or satellite (DirecTV or Dish) and would like to know which is going to give me better picture quality on the HD set.

I've lived with cable for many years and am satisfied with the picture quality on a regular TV(except the frickin' price and channel availability) but want to know which to get for the best picture on the HD. I will probably not be getting an HD decoder right away, at least until more programming is available so the standard signal is going to have to work for my non-DVD viewing habits. Especially important is sports, sports and maybe sports. This kind of pushes me to DirecTV, but I am open to suggestions, even both cable and sat if necessary.

I just don't want to stare at ugly, artifact filled pictures when I'm watching "regular" TV, not DVDs.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Scott,

I own a Toshiba 65H80 and I want to introduce you to a few challenges of either cable or sat. reception. The 16X9 format is not supported for sporting events, save HD broadcasts.

The Toshiba has 3 main settings, including Standard, Theaterwide, and Full.

The standard will fill the screen as a 4X3 format with grey boxes on the sides. This is fine, as is the picture, but I would prefer not to use this mode as I "believe" it may burn the guns (someone, please correct me if I'm wrong).

The theaterwide mode will simply enlarge your picture. It will widen to fill the screen horizontally, but it will also get cropped off the top and bottom of the screen. This is fine, except for sports, where scores and highlights are usually displayed. With the picture being blown up like this, the quality is not nearly as sharp either.

Lastly, there's full mode. This stretches the image horizontally, but leaves the vertical size alone. It produces an amazing picture for DVD players and anamorphic movies, but if you're watching sports on television, it'll make Jerry Rice look like a lineman. Kind of like a funhouse mirror.

Now to your question, I have seen my set with digital cable and dish signals. I am very partial to dish signals, both for the quality that was displayed, as well as the channel selection. By the way, out here in CA, it is cheaper than cable. I don't know your situation.

In the future, this may all be a non issue. HD may be broadcast through both cable and sat. dish. For now, though, the only way to get a really crisp picture (to the best of my knowledge), is to get an HD receiver and receive OTA broadcasts. The 16:9 aspect is taken care of, and the picture is unequaled.

This has been my opinion based on surviving through the same concerns you presently have. If anyone else knows solutions of today, I would be interested in knowing them too.

Hope this helps,

Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to end up with DTV since I absolutely must have access to all the NHL games. Guess I'll have to figure out which screen mode is less annoying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.