Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just set up the toshiba 50 hdx82. very happy with it - excellent PQ, except for standard analog cable which looks kind of pixelly. HD (cable) is amazing, DirectV is great.

My question is: how do I get a widescreen signal to actually fit on the entire screen (ie without having to select a stretch mode on the TV)? I have the Starwars Episode II: Widescreen edition (anamorphic 2:35:1). When I play it in "Natural" screen on toshiba, I get a 4:3 looking signal with side bars, and a widescreen movie within that.

Also, when I play a Widescreen LBX directv PPV movie, with the TV st to the "natual" screen setting, again I get a 4:3 screen with sidebars (which the manual recommends for 16:9). My directv rca ird picture size is set to16:9.

With both for of these examples, I have to pick "Wide Screen 1" setting, which stretches the letterbox picture out, defeating the purpose.

thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is your dvd player set to 16x9?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
With the Toshiba, you would watch DVD's in full mode unless they are non-anamorphic (older DVD's - I believe Top Gun is non-anamorphic widescreen as an example) which you would watch in TW2.

HD would be in Natural mode (Natural mode is for true HD signals that are broadcast in 16:9, a DVD is not HD which is why you get bars at top, bottom, and sides in this mode).

The manual is oddly worded on this subject.

Note that with most DVD's, you will always have bars on the top and bottom of the screen unless they are in the 16:9 aspect ratio which are very rare (Shrek for instance) unless you watch in a stretch mode or zoom on the DVD player (which decreases PQ somewhat).

There's a good link that explains this (movies and different aspect ratios), unfortunately I don't have it on me but I'm sure someone will post it.

Regards,

PBC

·
Registered
21 Posts
#1 - "Natural" is only for 1080i HD sources

#2 - Make sure your DVD player is set 16x9

#3 - To get anamorphic to fill the screen, I think you would need a DVD player that allows you to scale the picture. I find it to be no big deal, especially when viewed in a totally dark room. Most DVDs seem to be Anamorphic 2:35:1, but I have learned to live with it.

I had all of the same questions. Manual is misleading. I'm very happy with my set. I use "Full" mode for everything, except anamorphic movies shown on cable (Turner Classic Movies showed Blazing Saddles in anamorph and Theater 2 did the trick). If you set your DVD to widescreen you won't need to do this. Good luck and have fun. Same to the rest of you...

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Oh, same reasoning for the LBX movie. It is not in HD, just letter boxed widescreen for a 4:3 display. I believe you would watch this in TW1 as well (the mode you would watch all 4:3 cable material in).

One annoying aspect (excuse the pun) is that when switching from HD channels to non-HD channels, the aspect ratio changes to Natural pic mode automatically with the HD channels then you have to manually flip back to TW1 to watch regular cable. My cousin has HD (not available in my area yet) and this drives him up the wall with his 57HDX. I wouldn't mind being annoyed if they'd just get HD dig cable in my area for my 50HDX!

PBC

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
The proper mode for LBX non-anamorphic is TW2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone from a newbie.

I received by 50HDX82 yesterday (the second one, since the first blew up after 3 hours of operation), and was also wondering about why my DVD's were showing up in 4:3 on the Natural setting.

Would the same thinking apply to my DSS receiver? I have set its output to 16:9 but it still shows up in 4:3 on Natural. Is Full the preferred setting?

Finally, I have purchased the Avia "Guide..." disk but I suspect that it too will show up in 4:3 when I load it into the DVD. Should Full be used as well when calibrating using this disk?

My thanks for all replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.