AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading reviews on CNET, and they have given the Hitachi 51SWX20B the best rating within its category of RPTV's. However, they gave the Toshiba H81 a very good review as well. In fact, they gave it a better review than Toshiba's latest HDX82 as they claimed that the HDX82 has an inaccurate color decoder (it overaccentuates reds) which cannot be calibrated. Nonetheless, the HDX82 did get a good review overall, barring this one flaw.

So here is my dilemna. I would love to get the Hitachi 57SWX20B, but at $5,300 (Canadian) it's a bit too steep for me. So it comes down to the Toshiba 57H82 which I can pick up at a bargain $3,800 or spend more and get the Toshiba 57HDX82 at $4,300. I am leaning toward the H82 given it's lower price and superior review. However, the one thing I don't like about the H82 is that it lacks a DVI high-definition TV connection.

So my question is: How crucial is the DVI connection for future proofing. Or am I better off getting the HDX which does have the DVI connection?

Look forward to your opinions!

Roadster:)

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Traditionally, this Toshiba series has one of the very best and most accurate color system of anyone, including Hitachi. If you are talking about red-push or over-red, then check out Hitachi entries a little. Hitachi struggles with red push. Toshiba has a better stretch mode, undisputably. Toshiba's quality control has been suspect.

Re DVI, JUST DO IT !!! It has more of an play in P.Q. in actual digital screens (e.g. LCD, DLP, plasma) than analog screens such as the RPTV you are considering...but if you insure your house and car...then you are the type of guy that wants DVI...it is somewhat of a gamble...but not much. DVI is a force to be reckoned with...like I said...JUST DO IT.

If you go the Toshiba route, just get the HDX and be done with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey Roadster,

I'm still on the fence about the Hitachi SWX and the Toshiba HDX. However I cannot find an HDX to look at in a store anywhere. But I've seen 3 different H82's.

I am not even considering the H series for two reasons. DVI and the anti-glare screen. I've heard the HDX produces a somewhat better picture, but that the anti-glare screen on it is really nice. The H however is like looking into a mirror when there's a dark scene.

Hope this helps!

Frank

Gainesville, FL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.