AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a primer that explains the differences in these sets in the 32" to 36" category? I started looking to replace my old Tosh 27", my dealer (just a local install guy who gives me awesome deals) asked me what model I wanted? I started looking and am more confused than ever. Went to Toshiba's sight, and that didn't do much good either. First of all I want a HD set. It seems they have HF73's and HF83's and also the HFX's.

HELP!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 73's were last year's models and the 83's are this year's models - not much difference. HF vs HFX is just that the HFX has a little better built-in audio speaker/subwoofer system and a higher bandwidth video amplifier that might result in sharper HD video.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually, the HF83 and HF73 are both this year's models. The difference is HF83 is widescreen while HF73 is 4:3.

HF82 and HF72 were last year models of 16:9 and 4:3 AR sets, respectively.

Also, just to be certain,

The HF83's are 16:9 widescreen models, while the HF73's are 4:3. They can vertically compress images to 16:9 as well, but, of course you'll have black bars on top and bottom.

The models that I know of are:

16:9 Widescreen -

30HF83

30HFX83

34HF83

34HFX83

4:3 -

32HF73

32HFX73

36HF73

36HFX73

Whether you get 16:9 or 4:3 is up to you. There are tons of debates on this forum, feel free to do a search! :)

As he said, though, the "X" signifies that it is a "Cinema Series". Basically, as he said, Cinema Series difference is they have "Virtual Surround" sound and a slightly increased video bandwidth. Many people argue whether this increased bandwidth can even be used for this tube technology implementation, however.

I'm currently having a "war" between the 32HF73 and the Sony 32HS510. Both have GREAT pictures, but I think it's going to come down to what set I can get for better prices and/or extras. :D

Also, I sent you a PM about something else... ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would hands down take a Toshiba 36" 4:3 over a Sony but my dilemna has been the Sony 910. I think I'll end up ording the 36" Tosh due to the fact it has about the same size as the 34" when in 16:9 format. I'll have to wait until I hear my dealers pricing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
I would hands down take a Toshiba 36" 4:3 over a Sony
I'm curious what you like about the Toshiba that makes it an easy choice for you.

A couple of things that bugged me about the 36HF73 is the slow video input change and it was much dimmer than compared to the Sony. As a result I got the impression that contrast ratio was not that great, but perhaps a problem set.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To me the Tosh gives a better view of analog cable from where I live. I do believe the Sony would give a better digital or hd impression. Prob is where I live we will most likely be the last people on earth to see HD in our homes. I'll get a killer deal on a Tosh, and a Sony would cost me $$$ more.

I honestly hate the silver look of new sets and the Sony 910 is black and a beauty but to me the Toshiba's would just look better with a poorer signal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Anyone see/have a 34HFX83 yet? My local retailer has claimed "any day now" for the past two weeks. I am hot to purchase this one, but refuse to make any monetary commitement until I can see the PQ (or at least hear some PQ feedback from all you type A's :) )

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have an order for one at the Bellevue Video Only. I called them today, and they don't have them in yet. BTW: If you order one before they receive them, you get a discount...it's not much, like around 100-bucks, but what the heck? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.