AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have had one of these TV's and wish to add your problem to a growing list, please post your experience here. Toshiba tells me, after 6 months, that I am alone with my cable card problems. They will not fix the TV under warranty, and they sat there is nothing they can do, because my problem is not a Toshiba issue.

Buyer beware, if you are planning to buy a Toshiba with the intent to subscribe cable card, be forewarned. If you have issues that Toshiba can pass off to your cable company, or to the cable card provider, they will NOT take your TV back or replace it. I have had 15 visits from my cable company, 13 cable card swaps, I have spent around 40 hours babysitting this issue, and I am no closer to watching hassle free, than when I began. So make sure you do not buy one on-line, and be sure that you return the set before your "30-day" return period expires.

Let's hear your stories. I know I am not alone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
72HM196 using two DirecTV HR-20 HD DVR's connected via HDMI with optical output from TV going to home theater system. ZERO problems! Picture rocks. Bought it online from Amazon, and would do it again! Is that what you were looking for?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had cablecard issues from day 1. Toshiba has used me as their Beta guinea pig for 7 months now. I am so fed up with TOSHIBA, I doubt I will ever be able to speak highly about them again.

Paul Cline-Team leader, Operations Advanced services Group

[edited by mod] he is the one who has led me on one wild goose chase after another.

Scott Bledsoe-Manager of customer service, had promised to call me back, he never did. x 2134

I have:

-12 service calls into them.

-30 hours of my time invested on the phone with toshiba, feeding numbers off the tv

-20 service calls into my cable company

-over 300 cablecard resets in 7 months

-hard power bootups-over 20 times

-loss of TVGOS, 20 different occasions

-2 attempts at firmware update

1 actual service tech call

...and this company still refuses to take this TV back. Toshiba's warranty is absolutely worthless, and I thing that everyone needs to know this.

If you have a problem they can't fix, you have a very large paperweight.

Michael Patton

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterp2 /forum/post/0

I have had cablecard issues from day 1. Toshiba has used me as their Beta guinea pig for 7 months now. I am so fed up with TOSHIBA, I doubt I will ever be able to speak highly about them again.

Paul Cline-Team leader, Operations Advanced services Group

[edited by mod] he is the one who has led me on one wild goose chase after another.

Scott Bledsoe-Manager of customer service, had promised to call me back, he never did. x 2134

I have:

-12 service calls into them.

-30 hours of my time invested on the phone with toshiba, feeding numbers off the tv

-20 service calls into my cable company

-over 300 cablecard resets in 7 months

-hard power bootups-over 20 times

-loss of TVGOS, 20 different occasions

-2 attempts at firmware update

1 actual service tech call

...and this company still refuses to take this TV back. Toshiba's warranty is absolutely worthless, and I thing that everyone needs to know this.

If you have a problem they can't fix, you have a very large paperweight.

Michael Patton

Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, but you should also include your cable company as one of the businesses you will never work with again since they are just as responsible for making sure they are compliant with supporting cablecards and they may not be.

I've been using CableCard for 15 months with no major issues. I have an occasional issue that appears to be related to the cable company where the channels become corrupt and requires a reset due to some mismatch between the tuner and the CC. Paul Cline has been a tremendous help for me on this issue and is still actively investigating with my cable company. I have been working with him for several months trying to nail down the problem and he provided me with the method of pulling up detailed TV diagnostics screens to provide him with relevant data. He was also able to provide me with a real simple way of resetting the CC from the menu rather than having to power cycle the TV to correct the issue. The cause of this problem still appears to be that the cable company is sending something that may not be fully compliant with the spec (or Toshiba and them interpreted the specs slightly differently) - that's the current theory. I work with someone with a Sony SXRD that uses the same cable provided that I do (different city) that had to reset their CableCard every 2 days and kept the TV but uses the STB instead.

The bottom line is there are volumes of CableCard users out there on these TVs with virtually no issues. Unfortunately you seem to be hit with several variables that prevent it from working.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by magredc5 /forum/post/0

Paul Cline has been a tremendous help for me on this issue and is still actively investigating with my cable company. I have been working with him for several months trying to nail down the problem and he provided me with the method of pulling up detailed TV diagnostics screens to provide him with relevant data. He was also able to provide me with a real simple way of resetting the CC from the menu rather than having to power cycle the TV to correct the issue. The cause of this problem still appears to be that the cable company is sending something that may not be fully compliant with the spec (or Toshiba and them interpreted the specs slightly differently) - that's the current theory.

I have the whole diagnostic screen memorized.

I mean no disrespect by this. I have had all the same experiences you are referring to. VERY helpful! Hours and hours of my time also. Paul is on the clock, I am not being compensated for being their field tester.

FWIW, I received the latest card software, which he PROMISED would resolve all my issues. And after 7 months of this, I bought it, hook, line and sinker.

The bottom line, like it ot not, if you buy this TV for CC reception, you may be out of luck, and need to rent a STB unless you like missing 10 minutes of the superbowl while the CC "aquires channel information". Because Toshiba is not going to honor the warranty. That is my beef, after spending this much money

They should just buy them back!

The funny part is I was going to buy an extended warranty. I am glad I at least saved that money.

You should understand, the TOSHIBA sets have never been cablelabs verified, only "self-verified". The SA cablecards, OTOH, are verified. That's not theory.

They have to do something for 8 hours a day. it may as well be on the phone with you and I.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What functionality does the CC give you over the integrated HD tuner?

I just purchased a 62hm116 and did a channel scan. I got all of the locals in hd. The only thing I seem to be missing is ESPNhd and DiscoveryHD. At least those are the channels that I would miss.

Why not ditch the CC and get a STB?

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaloy /forum/post/0

What functionality does the CC give you over the integrated HD tuner?

I just purchased a 62hm116 and did a channel scan. I got all of the locals in hd. The only thing I seem to be missing is ESPNhd and DiscoveryHD. At least those are the channels that I would miss.

Why not ditch the CC and get a STB?

HD tuner only lets you see what's "in the clear". The local HDs have to be transmitted in the clear as per FCC. The CC provides the authentication and security to see the higher tier channels, so with the Comcast expanded digital tier you get full lineup of SD channels (Flix, IFC, etc.) plus all the HD programs (except pay channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.). There are now about 18 HD channels including all the networks, National Geographic HD, Discovery HD, ESPN and ESPN2, TNT, Music HD and a few others.

The CC is free (at least with Comcast) while the STB is about $10 for HD. Gee, I wonder why many cable companies don't care if you have CC problems.

Masterp2: If you feel that Toshiba is not compliant with the standards contact Cablelabs and file a complaint. They may be able to do something.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest correspondence from Toshiba. They appear to have given up on this issue, do not return my calls, and they have no solution to fix this TV or make me even a little content that I own this technological anomoly. They won't replace it, they won't honor the warranty, though I purchased through an authorized dealer (they had me send them the reciept to see if they could get out of it that way). I can't sell this TV to anyone who expects Cablecard reception. And since I cannot afford to buy another, I am just stuck with it, and all I can say is, this has been my lesson.

"Again, I cannot teach you about your issue as you refuse to listen to reason. Your frustration and blame are misplaced.

Even if you knew how many people I have called and emailed to resolve your issue, how many members of the NCTA that I have pushed and pissed off, and how many hours I have personally spent away from my family trying to resolve your issue, you would not have the ability to recognize it.

It is clear that your eyes are shut and your mind is made up. I won't try to change that, for I cannot make the blind see. I can only continue trying to resolve the issue for you. Had Cox been able to resolve your issue months ago, you would still not be happy. ...

Furthermore, why would I still try to resolve your issue, even after your personal attacks against me and my company? Integrity. Others would have taken the easy pathrid themselves of you as a customer and walk on by. But that would be the incorrect thing to do, and I will not do wrongly unto the company or customer.

Also, I respect your pursuit of having the card work without flaw. Most people would have gone with the cable box and been done with it. Yet you keep on pushing, and so do I.

Even still, when Scientific Atlanta and Cox want to resolve the issue, or at a minimum talk about it, you will be the first to know.

Sincerely,

Paul Cline| Team Leader- Operations

Advanced Services Group | TOSHIBA"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On follow-up, mods, please do not edit this information. it is in the publics interest to know how they may expect to be treated by any company. How else will they know, if the stories are censored? While the vast majority of consumers don't have these problems, they may want to know how to handle themselves if they find themselves in a replay of what I have been put through, or similar circumstances. I know I am not the only one out there that this has happened to.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterp2 /forum/post/0

On follow-up, mods, please do not edit this information. it is in the publics interest to know how they may expect to be treated by any company. How else will they know, if the stories are censored? While the vast majority of consumers don't have these problems, they may want to know how to handle themselves if they find themselves in a replay of what I have been put through, or similar circumstances. I know I am not the only one out there that this has happened to.

If you really believe this is a fair assessment of your issue then I hope you can find some satisfaction down the road.

I personally have had the opposite experience with my TV. I have dealt with some very helpful people at Comcast and Toshiba including Paul. I want people to hear that there are positive experiences as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am of the same state of mind as magredc5

I have had nothing but a positive experience with Toshiba and them working with my Cable Company. My issue was a simple one it sounded like, my host id needed to be added to the head end on the MSO system. Simple issue the cable company over looked, Toshiba helped point out and escalate it to the right people to have my issue resolved.

MasterP2 a bit of personal insight perhaps, you sound very bitter in all of your posts, I am not saying you should not be a little put off however my grandpa always taught me that you catch more flies with honey then vinegar. I never understood why people think, if they are mean they get what they want. Where i work when people are mean to my partner or i, we want to help them less and i think about that everytime i am working with someone on something i need help with. That is just me, good luck to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.