AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys ...last years model toshiba dw65x91P, and dw65x91...its the direct competitor to the pioneer elite equivalent, and the sony kdp-65xbr2 w/ dig tuner integrated ...this is the ultra hi-end proj tv w the digital tuner built in , and a directv hdtv rcvr built in , along w/ DD 5.1.........whats everyone's take on these sets , specifically the toshiba ....i have the opportunity as a dealer to buy 2 new ones , one being the above toshiba , and one being the above sony ....i have heard from other dealers that the toshiba smokes the sony , and is clearly as good as , if not better than the 60+'' pioneer elite, which in general circles is regarded as the best RPTV made ??????? ...BUT.... no one i personally know of has used or watched any of the above for any length of time .....whatcha think guys , i may put one in my home , and sell off the other ......both are open goods merchandise , in as new condition , w full mfg warranty.......WHATS THE BEST ONE OUT OF THE ABOVE ??????....THESE ARE SUPPOSEDLY THE BEST OF THE BIG 3 ...??????...disregard the price variances of the 3 sets , whats the best ......i do know sony has had their share of premature tube burnouts after a few years , especially on their direct view sets , and on some RPTV's ....i've sold tons of sony's , so i know this to be fact ........but i have an open mind , and need some objective views, and input

thanx billy c

·
Registered
267 Posts
Are you sure you have those Toshiba model numbers right? Or perhaps they are not US models? THey don;t show up on the Toshiba USA website or archives.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the Toshiba TW65X81 which is the 2000 model year Toshiba 65" without an integrated HDTV receiver. I believe that same year they had a TW65X91 which was the same unit with an integrated HDTV tuner. It was listed on their web site for a while then removed as Toshiba and all other manufacture's were having problems getting the HDTV receivers out.

I speculate that this unit is one of those with their now working HDTV receiver.

My TW65X81 is a fantastic television. I have it mated with a Dish Network 6000 STB and Sony 5.1 channel sound system. Better picture and sound than many theaters.

Hope this helps.

Rick R

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys ...the DW series sets were available starting 9-10 mths ago , as in nov-dec-2000; their announced date was sept-oct-2000, but didnt become available until 2-3mths later , after much hold up by toshiba ...they were pricy, as were the pioneer , the sony's and mitsu's , around 6- $9000, depending on the brand , and none sold well ......sony, and i believe mitsu kept their integrated digital tuner sets , for 2001 - 2002 product release , while toshiba dropped it entirely ....guess they didnt feel there was enough sales volume .....the sony's and the mitsu's dont sell well , although the price has drooped around the $6000 range ....suredly , they'll be dropped this year as well.....if the stuff dont sell much , they , the mfg's, dump the product .................and yes , the mitsu's diamond series are excellant tv's, but they dont like selling to anyone except a mass , hi-volume merchandiser...that leaves my company out ..........the toshibas are'nt on their website unless you do a specific search w the model number because they are in fact discontinued ...their site only shows the 2001-2002 models ...............

well...anyone at all own or actually watched any of the 2 sets the dw series 65'' toshiba , and the sony 65XBR2...geeez, would really like some input if anyone knows anything about these sets; ***************.com , back on their toshiba page 47 and 48 back in sept-2000 , says a little , but not much

anyone , help????

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Rick,

The x81/x91 are two generations old.

The x91 is an x81 with a built-in stb (debadged dtc-100).

Retail then: x81 (~ $5995) vs. x91 (~$7995 about $2K for having the factory install the $500 dtc)

If buying toshiba, I'd opt for the newer generation toshiba.

Thanks,

Errol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
......and thanx Rick, you have the one w/o the tuner , ..........and yes, they couldnt produce them fast enough , or should i say Hughes couldnt deliver them to Toshiba fast enough......and glad to hear the good comments , thank you ....i heard that particular DW series 65'' HDTV set , and yours w/o the tuner , was as good and maybe even BETTER than the pioneer elite , which is the reference to what others are compared to...although in todays RPTV's, 2001-2002 models , u'll be hard pressed to see any discernable difference betwwen the hi-end pioneer, sony , toshiba, hitachi , and mitsu's , and the new real good philips sets ..., or i cant anyway , lololol, .....they all rob each others technology anyway ooo, well, ......but the DW series toshibas were in very very limited production because of the non-availability of the HDTV tuners at that time last year

anyoneeeee else ??????????

helppppppppp.......

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
sattv4u,

Any reason you're looking into TV's with integrated receivers? If it's for copy-protection concerns, that may help, but I don't think you are necessarily safe from down-rezing.

You mention that you want to buy one of these for your company. Can you get it for at or near dealer list price? If you are paying anything near list price on these top-end rear projection HDTV's, you may want to look into a front projector like the Sony 10HT. Something like that. Nice LCD or used CRT projectors can be had for $5000-6000. Certainly worth considering, though you'd need an external HDTV receiver.

Jim

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have been watching a 2001 Toshiba 65H81 since 1 September. Amazingly the manufacturing date was 2 weeks prior to delivery. I have no complaints and will put it up against any TV I've seen in retail stores. The colorstream inputs are just awesome for DVD and 1080i. The only question that remains un answered about this TV is longevity and support. With any luck I won't need the latter.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ooops, I should have addressed my reply to sattv4u.

:)

Thanks,

Errol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I purchased a demo Toshiba DW65X91 from a local dealer. I am very pleased with it, the picture is outstanding using the various inputs: built in OTA HDTV and DSS Directv, or external component DVD (a Malata). Even the standard letterboxed movies shown on Directv look fantastic.

Although the TV is last years model, it still gets upgraded via Directv, last upgrade was on September 30.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi.......and thanx zyg, i needed to hear from someone on that tv ....as i stated in the byline intro, these tv's are the last ones remaining in a wholesale distributors warehouse as '' open box goods''...; we are a whlsle dealer , and buy most major brands anyway at wholesale prices from distr's all over the country ; we dont buy at retail or at consumer level , obviously....what is there is whats left in open box goods for hi-end rptv's ; the only open box goods left are the sony and 2 toshiba's , at a very decent price level, much below dealer cost ....normal retail on the toshiba last jan-2001 was $8499.........i would'nt pay half of that , considering the new toshiba's cost me right now much less than 1/2 of 1/2 of what the toshiba retailed for last year .......i buy as a home thtre dealer and installer anyway so we buy at fixed dealer price levels , but obviously not as cheap as a circuit city , or a best buy would. ......so to compete , i gotta buy some product on deals to offer to people ; ....i was just out looking to buy some inventory for the christmas season for my customers , when low and behold , i saw these sets ....we , as dealers , dont normally see real hi-end rptv's , in open box pricing , they usually end up going to the discount chains , who'll stand right up and write a check for 20 or 30 of these tv's ........so i'm looking into how good the toshiba's are , because for the prices i gotta pay , i may just put the hi-end toshiba up at my house , as long as its that good like i was told......and i'll sell the other one as a good deal to someone ...oooo well , guess i was at the right place at the right time ....we'llll see , i havent finished the deal yet with my supplier ......

anyone else on the DW65X91????????

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and ooooops, ....yea i know all the propoganda and BS about the new sets , and the pull down ratio's , and the new crt's , etc , etc , .........well, i beg you to show me a VISIBLE difference from last years HI-END RPTV's by most any mfg , and this years hi-end equivalent ........my eyes dont see a difference , and i work on these and digital programming all day , almost every day ....oooo well , maybe the new generation tv's are better , .........but for instance , if i can buy a new left over 2000 Lexus for $23, 000 vs buying a new 2001 Lexus for $45, 000....mmmmmm, i guess i'll buy the model year 2000 !!...and watch out for those new hi-end Philips RPTV's , they're out there kicking some ass with a really good picture .......i think they want into the RPTV mix at least for now .........their 64'' one is awesome !!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another important point is that my DW65X91 was a demo unit that had been a working model in a show room floor. In other words it had been on and working (probably mistreated as well) for about six or seven months, and yet had no problems!

I was impressed by its picture in the show room, the quality really stood way out as compared to all the other and newer TV's nearby. I purchased it in June for less than $4000 and the price included a five year warranty.

It continues to impress me, and others, who have watched it at my home.

-Zyg-

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
I've been shopping, looking, tweaking and testing these RPTVs for the last 5 months or so and here is what I've seen.

- I didn't consider the Pioneer Elites (too much more money for a nice cabinet) nor did I ever mess with any of the service level adjustments on any of the sets, but I did calibrate each TV using AVIA.

1st Place - Pioneer 643HD5: Not as grainy/artifacty as Toshiba sets, picture almost as good as Mitsu 65908 but not quite. Internal Upconversion/Doubling of analog cable/VHS input is the best other than the Pioneer Elites. The best stretch mode for non-HD TV. Has VGA input plus two component inputs. All Black Cabinet. This is the TV I'm buying for $3700 delivered.

2nd Place - Mitsu 65908: Best image for 480p and HD input by slight margin over non-elite Pioneer. Best non-glare screen. 2nd best stretch modes for non-HD viewing. Offers $1K guaranteed upgrade HD compatibility with future firewire crap. Dealers don't deal on this set so it is always too expensive for me.

3rd Place - Toshiba 65HX81: this set is the value leader since everyone is dealing on this TV. Image is improved over last years models for displaying analog TV and non-HD input. Stretch modes for 4:3 input is now on a par with the Mitsu sets. IMO, ugly gray silver cabinet knocks this set out of my HT room. Also, build reliability is in doubt with the reports of folks getting DOA sets.

Honorable Mentions:

Sony Kp-51hw40 - IMO, image is improved and not as soft as Sony HS series sets. Price is negotiable. Cabinet colors eliminated it from serious contention for me but it deserved further consideration from others.

Philips 64pp9701 - Nice set with sharp focus and resolutions, but colors are somewhat dull and less saturated. This is a fantastic looker with an iScan Pro. Still, without a great deal from the Philips Employee Store, this set is overpriced.

Mitsu Plat and Plat+ sets: a big step under the Diamond series

I was not impressed with any Hitachi set that I examined...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi zyg, and merc...say , zyg , what did u compare the DW65'' set to while in the showroom before u bought it ????..............and merc i sorta agree with just about everything you say ...i cant buy mitsu as a dealer , they wont sell to my company ,...they're independant *******s , so frig mitsu, and believe me their product is no better than anyone else's hi-end !!!!....presently have , and own and sell pioneer , and have been watching a 62'' A5 model (non-hdtv)as a demo for 3-4 mths now , and yes, it is stunning......BUT have converted everything at the showroom and at home to HDTV...everything is wired and ready to go .....so since were into new technologies , i guess i gotta start demo-ing HDTV sets ....oooo well.....we sell zenith, philips , pioneer , hitachi, rca, and toshiba , and lately very little sony; sony i believe is living on their past laurels , and IS NOT half as good as they used to be , IMHO..!!!!....i have found the philips to be up and coming , pioneer to be 'by consensus' the leader , rca making some fine quality sets , but they'll never shake their low end rep, hitachi to be good , but slipping slightly in the reviews , and toshiba right up there w pioneer and mitsu in the forefront .....i sorta disagree w the soft pic...and the stretch info....almost anyone can spend an hour tweaking these tv's to make them look awesome ....but i guess thats a matter of subjectivity and opinion , which is like as******, everyone has one, lolololo!!!!!..........if i were to buy in the box , right now , today , a RPTV , ....my eyes tell me pioneer , not necessarily elite either, then philips and toshiba or vice-versa , then sony......virtually w todays technology , none of them break.....run em' in hard for one week constantly , and burn everything in ; if its still working fine , it'll probably last 20 yrs .......i'm looking at the DW series toshiba for my own use , and am gonna sell the others that we buy , specifically because it has their best 7'' crt's , is hdtv , which i didnt care if it was hdtv ready or hdtv integrated , has their best tuner , and is or was by consensus , equal to or better than the pioneer elite , as observed by numerous RPTV , and video tech's .....and toshiba , in all the one's that i have sold , has never had a tube or a board fail !!!!!....stupid sony's which are more expensive over the years are always breaking , and specifically are having tubes fail within 3-6 yrs of purchase ....ooo well, built in obsolescence , i guess.......well, back to work, ...gotta go and see whats happening with the RPTV's that we are trying to buy for stock....later guys' !!!

anymore input on the DW65X91 ??????

·
Registered
130 Posts
what did u compare the DW65'' set to while in the showroom before u bought it ????

I can't remember the model numbers, the store sells relatively high end stuff, and had a bunch of Mitsubishi and Sony's on display. The quality of the picture drew me to the Toshiba, and it was also the best price of the lot. The price of the DW65X91 also included a brand new elliptical dish and 4x4 multiswitch etc.

Before I purchased the unit, I went home and reviewed the spec's on the web, and decided it was a good deal.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.