Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...RelatedID=2358

This could do some serious damage to ReplayTV and Tivo. This product delivers what the consumers really want: record to HD or DVD-RAM, archive to DVD-R, VBR, numerous bit-rate settings to tradeoff record time/quality, basic editing to remove "unwanted scenes", title/menu creation, standard DVR funtions such as watch-while-recording, pause live tv, etc.

The only thing it doesn't seem to have is a program guide. Sounds like its timer only, although they do say that users can input their own guide data, whatever that means. Also, it is pretty expensive at $1500 list, but it does sound like it would save a lot of the trouble that people are going through to archive to DVD-R via RTV4000->computer->edit->burn.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When the Toshiba finally ships (in Fall or later), who knows what may be on the market. But if it is the only game in town then, I'll sure be interested in taking a look at it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looks like a Panasonic DMR-E20 with a HDD, plus feature enhancements to take advantage of the HDD.

The price appears to be almost double that of the DMR-E20. It will probably be less once they hit the streets.

The blank DVD-R media can be found for as low as $3 a piece.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Having non-cheesy bitrate options makes this very attractive.

I use my replay4K with my big dish. I have to set manual record events ANYWAY. This unit would be perfect for me.

Now, if SonicBlue supported the 4DTV and offered an 8mbps record option then I'd be super pleased.

It looks like Toshiba knows users want the option for insane quality recording, a message SonicBlue doesn't seem to grok at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow. 4DTV and Heinlein, two of my favorites, in one message!

I told SonicBlue that I would move up to 4K, when/if they

supported 4DTV. Never got a response.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Wow, the holy grail of PVR! Until the Blue laser DVD recorders, that is...

I can't wait to see the demo for these units! Should be hot if not for the prohibitive cost of DVD-Rs. I hope the unit is more forgiving of generic DVD-Rs than the E-20.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Blank media has become very cheap. I last bought DVD-R (general purpose which is what this unit would use) for $1.47 each. DVD-RAM is a bit more but as it is reusuable... it is not a reason to hold up on this.

I'm glad I bought a DVD-R/RAM burner for my PC and not another format. :)

Looks interesting. Heads up Replay TV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.