AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am in the market for a panel to replace my 50" sony projection. This tv is placed in my bright living room, with a sliding glass door and 6'x6' picture window along the same wall as the tv. I plan to replace my cumbersome projection and stand that is wedged into the corner at about a 30 degree angle with a swivel arm style wall mount. I will either move the cable box. future receiver over to the bookshelf across the room or use a small component stand in the corner under the tv.

http://s92.photobucket.com/user/Pur...2A-1891-0000016293F2814D_zps35f64d97.jpg.html

My living room layout is not ideal, i know. But it is what it is. I simple cannot locate the couch anywhere else in the room and the only other option for the tv is above the fireplace. I have neck issues already so i am not big on looking up and to the side at a tv. This rooms lighting conditions have me leaning toward LED. I like the poppy colors and brightness leds have, even if they do make some sceenes look a little too "real".

I set my basement up 4 years ago with a nice AV mini theater. I purchased a Samsung UN55b7100. In the first 2 years with under 100 hours of use, it ate a power supply (factory wouldn't cover it), has bad flash-lighting in all 4 corners and the dimming feature is extremely poor executed. Does have a nice picture that really pops but really lacks in dark scenes. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with samsung.

Stopped in 3 places today and nothing really jumped way out at my price point. I am hoping to keep around $1200. max 1500 I could care less about smart tv or 3D. This Tv will be used for day and night time tv, sports and movies.

I am definitely more attracted to the ultra thin bezel styles.

Toshiba L7300 $1500

One tv that came highly recommended from the local b&M store and is probably my front runner at this point is the brand new Toshiba L7300 series in 58". There is literally no info or reviews onlie for this set yet. Advertised as clearscan 240hz. Im guessing this is a 120hz model with some gimmicks?

st60 plasma Panasonic

looked after reading cnets glowing reviews and just wasn't wowed. Picture and blacks were superb, but didnt get that LED pop of brightness. Scared it would be worse in my bright room

Samsungs line from 6000-8000 . nice design, but picture was unimpressive until 8000 model which is above my price point.

LG LG55LM7600

looked great and had a great picture. Remote is unique but kind of aukward. These get pretty decent reviews, store salesman steered me away for some reason i dont remember.

Sony R550 seemed like a nice display, cant find much info on it either.

Love to hear any advice you guys have. I can wait a couple months if there is something worth waiting for. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I'll bump this as I am looking to purchase a 60 to 65" TV for my bedroom, since my Toshiba 50" plasma finally died. I did buy and return a Panasonic 60S60 plasma, after discovering that their current plasma models produce a rather dim picture, compared to my Toshiba that died. I'm not going to pay $3000 for a Samsung 8500 series plasma in order to get a bright picture, so I have ended up considering LED models.

I have been researching for a few weeks now, and have mainly considered Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic. However, I was at Sears today and ran into this Toshiba 65L7300U LED TV, and I couldn't believe how good the picture was. It appeared to have as good motion performance as any of the other LED models, and the overall image quality seems excellent. They have it for $1599, plus an additional 5% discount if you buy it on your Sears card.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/tv/cloudtv/65l7300u#clearscan_on

OP, I'm curious what you ended up doing. Also, has anybody had any experience with this Toshiba series? Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a Toshiba set from a few years ago and it has a great HD picture and the SD is also excellent. You cannot find any reviews because the sets are not that good. I have posted on previous thread and got no response. There was a review posted but I cannot recall the site. It was maybe HDTV buying guide or a UK website. They did mentioned that the apps did not work as advertised. CNET did a review of a lower end model and it did not have much promise. If I were you I would stick with Panasonic, Samsung or Sony. I plan to purchase the Sony W900 in the next several days. All the reviews have been excellent. If you look on the Samsung F6400 thread the review have also been positive.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobrinl  /t/1469477/toshiba-l7300-cant-find-any-reviews-some-other-options-too#post_23958297

I have a Toshiba set from a few years ago and it has a great HD picture and the SD is also excellent. You cannot find any reviews because the sets are not that good. I have posted on previous thread and got no response. There was a review posted but I cannot recall the site. It was maybe HDTV buying guide or a UK website. They did mentioned that the apps did not work as advertised. CNET did a review of a lower end model and it did not have much promise. If I were you I would stick with Panasonic, Samsung or Sony. I plan to purchase the Sony W900 in the next several days. All the reviews have been excellent. If you look on the Samsung F6400 thread the review have also been positive.

Thanks for the input! I don't care much about apps, just looking for image quality for HD cable TV and Blu-ray. I have to say, I compared this Toshiba for quite a while to the Samsungs and Sony's that were on display at Sears. Sears has a HD loop running that has a lot of small pictures of items and block lettered words scrolling across the screen. I found that the Samsungs, even the ones that said 240mhz on them, had some of the choppiest motion. The Toshiba was about the best of all of them in this regard. The Toshiba seemed to have a noticeably sharper picture than the Sharp 70" set that was next to it. As to color accuracy, I thought it looked about as good as the others. I was not able to to fine tune the picture on any of them, so it's hard to draw any conclusions, hence my request for any personal experience. I will have to go back there and play with the picture settings some more before I can form a better opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts