AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my HTPC with HDMI out plugged into my Toshiba 46RV535U since I got the TV 5 months ago. The first thing I noticed was that I didn't get full screen at 1920x1080 resolution. This was fixed by setting underscan/overscan to 0% on the ATI card.

I recently got a receiver and ran the HTPC through the receiver and then pass-through to the tv connected to the TV via HDMI. First thing I noticed was that the display was overscanned so I had to underscan the video card setting to display full screen. Playing around with the connections, I found that HDMI 1 port (which will also accept PC audio input via RCA plug which is not enabled when using the 3 other HDMI ports) has 0% overscan/underscan for PCs while HDMI 2, 3 & 4 ports will overscan (underscan), i.e., the display overflows than the screen.

Just a feature just in case anyone is fiddling with this undocumented(?) feature of Toshiba LCDs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't see why only one input handles the single properly and the rest don't. I'm assuming you double checked to make sure 1:1 pixel mapping was enabled right? It's possible the designated pc input does this by default, and the other 3 hdmi ports are set for the standard amount of overscan(usually called 16:9 mode or something similar) for broadcast/cable sources.

The first issue you encountered was because of your graphics card being set to over/underscan slightly. That had nothing to do with your tv input. Hence setting it to output the optimal 1080p signal fixed it. The receiver issue might be because of the tv, though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't seen the pixel mapping function. There is the function to put display to native but that didn't work satisfactorily.

I realise the underscanning function of the ATI cards but it's funny that one HDMI port is set up for underscan while the others aren't.

FWIW, I now have the cable STB and PC running through the receiver. The picture for the cable STB was not overscanned or underscanned on HDMI ports 2-4, or on 1, while the PC is overscanned on 2-4 and not 1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts