AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody, I thought I might mention something about the MT-7 which I purchased here in the UK.

There was a problem much like the sharp where you can't address the 1280-720 pixel array because of the nearest lockable 4:3 resolution at 1280-960, well it hit me last night, run the resolution from the HCPC at 1280-960, then use the "thru" mode on the tosh and it maps it 1-1 so you lose the top and the bottom of the screen cause obvioulsy 1280-960 is bigger than 1280-720 but the point is you are left with the 16:9 1-1 1280-720 resolution. Bypassing the scaler!

So the now the picture is fantastic, better blacks much improved colour. Only problem ishaven't had much luck with the PC and I tend to get a horizontal tearing on some shots, any advice? Using a geforce 256.

I know you guys haven't really embraced this projector yet but for the money there is nothing to touch it over here. Whats even more impressive is the set-up doesn't need an whole lot of tweaking, with AVIA the colours were only a couple of points off.

Regardsf>

[This message has been edited by ROne (edited 10-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ROne (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ROne:
Only problem ishaven't had much luck with the PC and I tend to get a horizontal tearing on some shots, any advice? Using a geforce 256.
Have you tried different refresh rates? Some projectors have tearing if refresh rate is not 60hz.

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi, if you use powerstrip lower vertical sync from 6 to 5 or for of 3 H lines but no less that will fix tearing on a top of the image.

best regards Artur.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ROne, have you had any more luck with this in the past year? I'm about to give up on using my MT7 with my PC. At least as far as home theater goes. I'm also considering using the MT7 occasionaly to play computer games. I am guessing that'll work ok.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TBH, I am quite happy running my mt-7 through the PC with the Key digital transcoder. Even though it does give away some quality to the VGA, its not that bad.

Plus with the new cineplayer 1.five and revised calibration using a graded CRT as my comparison I am extremely happy with the quality.

I put the CRT at the side of the projector, duplicated a disc so I could compare both at the same time. I Then calibrated my CRT broadcast monitor with AVIA. (It was easier to set-up than the MT7 - the tolerances were a lot greater).

I then set to work on setting the projector up with AVIA from the PC, leaving alone the graphics card settings to default (radeon 6118.)

I then compared the greyscale and black levels, white levels between the CRT and LCD. I found that the brightness and contrast effected the purity of the greyscale on the MT7, which you can only really see when you have a reference such as CRT.

There was some clipping of black-level, so I took a loot at the vga overlay settings, and tried different gamma levels, the closest to the CRT for me was 1.45. (The default is 1.0). This opened up more detail in the shadow, but the top end of the intensity scale looked washed out. I checked the greyscale chart in avia and it was all-over the place.

So I then worked on the RGB gain, to bring the LCD's greyscale as close as I could to the CRT. It was pretty close in the end. Maybe the MT7 was giving a weird green cast in the midtones, but it wasn't a million miles away from the CRT.

I then popped BLADE II on both machines to compare, I found - quite suprisingly the black level of my projector was perceptively close to the monitor. (I am using quite a dark shade of grey for my screen, and can get rid of 95% of ambient light.) Black level was good, it was the other end that suffered. The white level was really quite subdued compared to the CRT, the CRT just had more lift. I couldn't get this out of the MT7 by lifting the white level as it would bugger up my greyscale purity.

I then popped american beauty in to compare flesh tones (in my opinion the weakness of LCD.) The mT7 still looked off, so I paused a scene on both systems and compared a facial close-up. The mt7 always looked a bit greenish or reddish, not a smooth brown-pink like it should be. However I then lowered the black-level a notch and the this seemed to bring the greyscale cast more in-line with my reference. (Pause a scene on the MT-7 and shift the black-level up and down on the MT7 and you will see strange things happen to the colours, they shift in tone.)

At this point things looked pretty good, so I set to work on the VGA overlay output, I used AVIA to check white/black and found that even though it was close, there was clipping on the white-level chart so I reduced the contrast by 5 points, and upped the brightness by 7 points.

At that things seemed close to the CRT and spot on in AVIA.

My final settings are:

Projector:

Contrast +7

Brightness -7

Colour 0

Tint -3

R -8

G -5

B -4

Hope this may help you in your quest for better pictures. I am really happy now with the quality and looking at my friends Panasonic 100, they don't compare. (although the pana's colours are more natural and less forced.) but it lacks the smoothness of the MT-7.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rone. Great post. This shows just how screwed up the MT7 is. A powerhouse that was hopelessly miscallibrated. I am definitely bailing if I can get 1500.00 for the MT-7 and looking for something like my old X80U but with native 1280 x 720 and 16:9. (i.e. Mistubishi colors but with the resolution and aspect ratio of the MT-7.

I will try what you recommended.

Mdcsoft and Rone. Have you tried the ATI HDTV convertor for your PC ? Have you tried swapping the cable out to get rid of the passive transcoding ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahagen, being in the UK we don't have the dongle available. I know I could import it but i've not found out from where.

The thing that I don't understand about the dongle is what signal is being sent to the projector, is it component 720p or RGB. Because to the best of my knowledge the VGA RGB won't support native 1280x720. You have to set the rez to 1280 x 960 and use the thru mode.

I assume as well you have to use HDTV software for DVD playback rather than DVD playback software bacause of the 480p limit.

Also in RGB mode I have never been able to get rid of tearing (horizontal lines that you see on fast moition) because of the projectors inability to lock to a permanent signal in RGB. (I have posted on this before.)

So any run in with VGA RGB with me usually ends in anger at the tearing situation and I resort back to component.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I will order the dongle for you. 29.00 plus tax and shipping (to me) and then shipping to you. It will cost you 100.00. Be warned I shipped one to a guy in Japan and charged him 29.00 and it got lost in the mail because we used normal surface mail. I reordered a new one and am losing time and money for him. (Full disclosure here). I would prefer you find another route but I will do it if you can't. As I consider this a REQUIREMENT for MT7 + HTPC.

The cool thing about the ATI hack is that it runs a REAL YPBpR signal over an RGB cable. Delivering the exact native format of the PJ. One gotcha is it is best to have the PJ and the HTPC on the same power strip.

I guess this 480p lockdown is possible. As it seems like movies look better after I run them through Gordian Knot and turn them into DIVX AVIs.

However using Intervideo 3.0 (they will get it to you even if it is discontinued) I don't get that warning I used to get about the A/R.

How can you tell what res the DVD is playing at. I mean you can run your desktop 1280 x 1024, double click on WMP and it will fill the screen, right ?>

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you saying that you get component 1280x720 across the VGA cable?

I already get component from the computer with the transcoder, although I assume its not as good quality as straight from the card.

Thanks for the offer to order one for me but I will wait till something else hits the market now.

"One gotcha is it is best to have the PJ and the HTPC on the same power strip. " Can you explain this a little more please?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ordered the ATI dongle a couple of days ago. I am looking forward to its arrival. I'm also curious as to why the PC and projector should be together on the same power strip. Right now I have them hooked up to separate UPSes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In response to RONE:

1. Yes you can get component over a VGA cable.

2. In my case a strobing vertical line similar to a synch problem usually occurs. A tech support guy suggested I make sure they were both connected to the same PS and this does fix it.

Rone: I tried your settings and it did solve the sickly greens and yellows I was getting. You didn't mention sharpness.

These settings are for component ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahagen

Sharpness at -3. I have never really changed this, sometimes I move to -4 but you do start to lose detail.

Yes they are for component.

What type of screen are you using?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I finally received my ATI dongle and my MT7 back from service. Last night I tried hooking it all up to my Pentium 4 HTPC. I tried the MT7 in 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Those resolutions really screwed up my Viewsonic 17" monitor, but the MT7 was fine with all three.

As expected, I was unable to play a DVD at anything higher than 480p (720x480?). However, the Windows desktop looked pretty good at all three resolutions.

When I finally got around to playing a DVD through WinDVD, the PQ was AWFUL. There were motion artifacts all over the place. I was under the impression that the Radeon 8500 was great at DVD playback. This was the worst picture I've ever seen on the MT7. I plugged in my Toshiba SD-3800 progressive scan DVD player and saw an immediate improvement.

At this point, I love the MT7. I still have to tweak its settings, but I'm tired of playing with the HTPC side of things, and I'm about ready to give up on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I still have my MT7 and use it daily. I recently got the new Denon 2900 DVD player, which I think looks fabulous on the MT7. I have one of the older units and live in PAL country, but fortunately I have been able to upgrade the firmware to support PAL progressive (newer units come PAL progressive enabled out of the box). Feeding the MT7 with a progressive signal is a good idea. The MT7 seems to handle scaling well, so if it's properly de-interlaced, you can leave the rest to the projector without much worry. A proper HTPC set-up may give a slight increase in quality, but to me it's not worth the hassle.

So I haven't experimented much with the HTPC side of things, partly because of the reports like in this thread. I have recently placed a new PC in my living room with a Radeon card, so I might check it out one day - if I can find the HD15/VGA to component adapter... And then perhaps put in a Holo3DGraph for de-interlacing/scaling my cable TV... But then again, there are other things worth pursueing too...

Good luck with your purchase - I hope you'll like it!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm one of the MT7 owners who have all but given up on HTPC with the MT7. I did succesfully get my Compaq Evo N800w notebook to display 1280x720p on the MT7 through a KeyDigital transcoder, so I know it works. However, there is a convenicence threshold that I've decided not to cross.

I also sent you a PM, jeroen.

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, another MT7 owner here. I got it 2 years ago and it has served me well since.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a progressive player (don't ask what took me so long - I don't know myself...), and I've read through all your great posts that I'll probably have a problem with PAL progressive using my current firmware version (110F-120F100F-101F).

Anyone know where I can get the firmware upgrade that will allow me to use PAL progressive? The toshiba representatives here say they haven't heard about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tnx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Redeng,

I got the PAL prgressive upgrade from someone here that I can send to you. Just drop me a Private Mail with your email address.

Something else I have just discovered is that the MT7 is not compatible with High Definition TV for the use with PAL.

ie. High Definition TV on the MT7 only works with NTSC broadcasts.

With the firmware upgrade the best you get is 625p (as displayed by the projector) or 576p (as displayed by my HD STB).

Apparently the new MT8 will support PAL High Definition.

I am looking for anyone else who may have experienced this problem and if there was a solution that they found / implemented...

Can you convert a PAL HD signal into NTSC HD?????

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello....

I bought my MT7 for 2-3 months and have the same problem in Sweden with Toshiba Tech support.....

So now I hope that some nice member could help me getting the firmware for pal progressive...

I tried component out from my HTPC (Sigma Design X-Card) and it will display the resolution 720p :p in real wide

But the problem is when I use my Iscan Pro and my standalone DVD the picture shake like an earthquake....:mad:

I hope the firmware upgrade will fix this to...

I strongly recommended to try this graphic-card to the MT7,when I play Divx-files in 720p it look almost like DVD, and it includes remote ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eric,

I've seen your other posts regarding the 1080i PAL problem with the MT7. Does it also happen with 720p?

I read some great reviews about the momitsu V880 DVD that can output 720p and 1080i playing both PAL and NTSC discs and has a DVI-I output that can be connected to the VGA input of the MT7 (via passive converter).

I'm not sure if the V880 converts 60->50 and 50->60. If it doesn't, and the MT7 can't handle PAL 720p (50Hz) then maybe this DVD isn't suitable for me and I'm better off with a good 480p/576p player.

Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.