AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised that this projector has been virtually ignored in all the postings about Infocomm that I have read to date. It was set up next to the Sanyo PLV 60 at the shoot out. I thought it was easily equal to the Sanyo, for a thousand dollars less. The high definition picture on the Toshiba was more detailed to my old eyes than that of the Sanyo.

The Toshiba uses a wide screen 1,280 x 720 chip versus the 1,366 x 768 one on the Sanyo. Could the former show 720p somewhat better? Is it easier to scale 480p to 720p? Where does this chip come from? Per Toshiba it displays all NTSC signals at 720p. Nice.

Just like everyone else I was amazed by the JVC QXGA D-ILA presentation. Far better than any movie theater I have been to in recent memory. George Lucas must be on to something. I'd love to see Episode II on one of these, let alone on the 4k X 2k promised us by JVC in 2003. If I were a movie theater owner I would certainly wait a while before converting to digital projection.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info, Norde :)

You mention that it is cheaper then the Sanyo ? Do you know the price for this unit ??

And most interesting a release date ??

Thanks,

Thomas.

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
Thanks Norde, I was beginning to wonder where the other companies where as well. How about Panasonic? I can't imagine all of these companies letting Sony and Sanyo get all of the action. Yes, it is very easy to scale 480p to 720p. I am told that once the signal is in the progress format it's simple. I've been considering the California Audio Labs VP 2500 which can scale from 480i up to 720p and 960p. It retails for about 2500.00 and also switches video signals. I am sure there must be some cheaper solutions as well

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thomas: The Infocomm shoot out program lists the PLV 60 at $8,995 vs. the MT7 at $7,999. Both projectors are available now per the same program.

If scaling from 480 to 720 is fairly straight forward, maybe the MT7 scaler works fine by itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello,

The Toshiba widescreen projector was directly next to the Sanyo PLV-60 in the shootout. To everyone in our party, there was absolutely no comparison. The internal scalar was poor with plenty of motion artifacts on the floating letters but the biggest drawback was the color temp was way off. Perhaps this could be tweaked, but you'd think the companies would have their best settings for the shootout. Flesh tones were orangish and the gray background was definitely not gray. Also, contrast comparatively was nearly half as good as the PLV-60. Not a great overall effort from Toshiba in comparison to the Sanyo.

Steve

·
Registered
441 Posts
No disrespect Norde but I have to agree with Stevehifi. For me there was no contest. The Sanyo had it beat it in all respects, better colour, contrast, brightness etc.

It was unfortunate, and as I said in another post, suspicious that Sony didn't have the 11ht in the shootout.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I get the impression that the 11HT is vaporware.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
835 Posts
I doubt it, the way they're discounting it, they're almost certainly moving it out for a replacement. Don Stewart commented that he bought a 10HT from Sony a little while ago for his personal use and it's now selling for less than he paid Sony! That should indicate how badly Sony wants to move remaining stock, boy I sure hope the 11HT isn't vapour-ware because Sony can't keep making 10HT's at their current price.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Vaporware in the sense that it is a product which may not be seen in the near future, just the far future.

Talk of its existence is pre-emptive because Sony has been slow to market. They don't want to loose market share.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
835 Posts
For me, vapourware has always connoted a cancellation of a rumoured/previously announce product, except that the cancellation hasn't been announced yet. Then again I get that from following computer games, where something labelled vapourware is highly unlikely to make it to market...I don't think I can recall any products labelled as such being released.

The talk may be pre-emptive, but I don't think the heavy discounting is. Why repeatedly kick one-self in the teeth by drastically marking down a product? The only reason is to clear stock in preparation for a new product replacing the current one. Sony can't possibly continue producing 10HT's at current prices, they're making little or no money off of it right now. If they don't stop selling 10HT's soon they'll start eroding the market for any future models as people take advantage of the favourable pricing. Unless Sony seriously miscalculated, the 11HT will make a timely entry into the marketplace. I would hope that they would have ensured that the 11HT was working before they started clearing out the 10HT.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I agree, it appears that Sony is clearing out the 10HT getting ready for the 11HT. What I don't understand is why they are not showing it. From looking at the specs the 11HT is not a "revolutionary" product and is merely an improvement of contrast (among other things) to the 10HT. So the reason it is unseen may be that the 11HT is just a minor improvement to the 10HT and is nothing spectacular compared to the Sanyo or toshiba. I guess that Sony's fear may be that if it is on par with the Sanyo's image it will be a big disappointment considering that it is more expensive. God forbid if the Sanyo does have a better image then Sony, Sony will be in big trouble then. I would love to see a comparison between the two. I have seen the 10HT to the Cinema 13HD and the Cinema 13HD was more to my liking. The brighter image brought out the colors even in low light and the contrast when set up properly really gives a good image a 3D look. Thats not to say that the Sony is not a good image just that at this stage in the game the Sony 10HT IMHO should be much lower in price.

However, I suspect that Sony is like most large corporations (IBM comes to mind), where they have great technology sitting in the wings but they want to maximize profits on old technologies and only release new technologies in small increments. Remember that Sony is a great marketing firm. An example of that is the hysteria THEY created with the unleashing of the 10HT. Something I suspect they are doing now for the 11HT. Be prepared for a major let down.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The 11HT was showing at Infocomm, I couldn't say if there was a serious increase in contrast, they were showing it on a 1.3 gain screen, not a grey screen. The contrast wasn't bad, but Sanyo didn't have the PLV-60 at the show (at least I didn't find it...) and I couldn't compare.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I just consulted my Infocomm notes.

The Toshiba MT7 was indeed one of the best entries at the show, according to those notes. However, the Sanyo PLV-60 was a bit better IMHO.

So, I agree that the MT7 is worthy and should be considered.

·
Registered
20 Posts
rlsmith,

When you say you thought the PLV-60 was better, it what way do you mean? Contrast, brightness, picture quality?

Did you get to see the Sony 11HT at infocomm or CEDIA?

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
MarkGI,

At the Infocomm shootout, there was a standard digital feed that was going to all projectors. This was good in that it was a level playing field, but bad because one could not try one's favorite samples. The emphasis was on presentation materials but there was some video (not the standard HT samples like The Fifth Element).

That said, I felt that the PLV-60 had slightly better brightness and contrast. But the Toshiba MT7 was one of my favorites in the shootout, and that did surprise me. I had never seen or heard of it before. Also, the difference was very slight.

I did not see the 11HT at Infocomm, and indeed have not seen it anywhere yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi rlsmith,

Did you notice any graininess or artifacts in the Toshiba compared to the Sanyo? I have looked at both also and thought the Toshiba had a cleaner picture?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.