AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba MT8 unit. While I'm thrilled with the picture, the unit has slowly started to get louder. It makes a buzz/whine sound and I'm suspicious of the color wheel, although I see no visual problems. The sound is mostly constant, but occasionally it "flares up".

I took it to a local A/V repair shop. They took 2 months and $110 of my money before they gave up trying to fix it. At one point they replaced the ballast unit but that didn't fix the problem so they took it out and returned it.

Does anyone have any experience fixing these things? Is the color wheel a modular part I can buy and install myself to see if it is the problem? Does anyone have any thoughts on what the noise might be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ours has the exact same problem.. but we imported it from Japan to Australia so I don't like our chances of finding a suitable repair agent.

I'd love to be able to order a replacement color wheel and read the instructions on how to replace it myself.. can anyone help me with that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update:

I wrote Toshiba a letter expressing my disappointment at their authorized repair center. Within a week I received a call back apologizing for the service, and they offered to cover the repair (and shipping) even though the unit was out of warranty by a year. They had me ship it to Tops Electronics in MA.

Tops promptly diagnosed it as the "optical engine" (which I assume includes the color wheel). They are replacing it.

I never thought I would have good news but Toshiba really stepped up to the plate on this one. Other than having the unit out of service in MA for two weeks, this was a great experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.