Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have had the most unbelievable string of bad luck with 2 Toshiba TVs this year. From Jan-April my 4 year-old TW40F80 was down for maintenance. After 5 failed service attempts my dealer (the Good Guys!) replaced it in April with a 40H80. At the time I was pretty happy since I skipped 3 or 4 model generations, and that made me feel better for being without the set for 3 months. Unfortunately, the 40H80 has now been down since 8/12. There is no picture on the unit, but all other functions (audio, power supply, etc.) work fine. The last course of action was to replace the signal board. This part was ordered on 9/24 and the tech finally came out today to install it. Much to my dismay the board Toshiba sent was clearly used and had been damaged. I am beyond PO'd that it would take Toshiba nearly 2 months to send me a butchered board that was damaged. Anyway, I plead my case to Toshiba today and they have initiated a replacement process. I'd just as soon never see another Toshiba product again, but a free replacement will be easier to swallow than buying a new set. I imagine they'll offer me either the 42H81 or the 36HF71 as a replacement for the 40H80. What is the consensus now as to which is the better set? The size difference is not that big a deal to me since the set is now a backup to a Sony 10HT projector. Luckily, I've had the Sony to fall back on while these sets have been down, but I'm putting way more hours on the Sony's bulb than I would otherwise. I will certainly never buy another Toshiba product again after the horrible experience I've had this year! Anyway, TIA for any advice on a 42H81 vs. 36HF71 comparison.

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Tom - i think you'll have better luck finding comparisons etc over at www.***************.com , they have a seperate Toshiba section that generally is very active.

Good luck

Gertjan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi All,

My tw40f80 seems to have some dust I the screen close the bottom center areas (looks like settled dust IN the screen itself). These dust specks are stationary and lead me to believe that they are somewhere inside the TV either behind the screen itself or somewhere on the reflective surface inside the set. They were only visible when the scenes were very bright, but they are there.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Fabian.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.