AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been posted, but Toshiba has abandoned SED to Canon as a result of an ongoing patent lawsuit. This could be curtains for SED. So all those "I am waiting for the fantastic SED TV" can start the grieving process.

http://www.photonics.com/content/new.../12/86007.aspx

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yes, I do believe SED will vaporware itself into oblivion....

·
Registered
671 Posts
Toshiba status as a industry giant seems to be in question right now.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force /forum/post/0

Toshiba status as a industry giant seems to be in question right now.

And where did you hear this? Link?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

I don't know if this has been posted, but Toshiba has abandoned SED to Canon as a result of an ongoing patent lawsuit. This could be curtains for SED. So all those "I am waiting for the fantastic SED TV" can start the grieving process.

That is old news, you need to go to the official SED information thread for the latest news and discussion about the world's greatest display technology.

btw, Canon will be going forward with SED and Toshiba will be assisting them in doing so.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/0

That is old news, you need to go to the official SED information thread for the latest news and discussion about the world's greatest display technology.

btw, Canon will be going forward with SED and Toshiba will be assisting them in doing so.

Its just a few days old, but regardless news of this impact should not be buried in a long thread and deserves it's own, IMO. So when I did not see any threads with this title I posted for comments.

SED may not be officially dead, but it is definitely showing signs of expiring before it ever hits the market. IMO anyone who was refusing to buy a plasma or lcd because they wanted to wait for the alleged superior display should strongly reconsider, else they themselves expire before enjoying flat panel HDTV.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would have posted this on Official SED NEWS & Technology Thread Part 2, but the thread is closed (sound bite -- dum dum de-dum DUM de dum de dum de dum.) But wait, hold that shovel, did anyone hear something?!

http://donpatent.blogspot.com/2008/0...patent-is.html :

Quote:
This recent Canon US reissue patent is of interest in that it pertains to SED type subject matter but includes the possibility that a carbon layer on the cathode is not an absolute necessity (though it is mentioned as a possibility) and can consist solely of SnO2 (tin oxide):

United States Patent RE40,062

Yoshioka , et al. February 12, 2008

http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/canon-...-reissued.html :

Quote:
Canon has a reissue patent covering SED TV technology. United States Patent RE40,062 was reissued February 12, 2008. It apparently has some modifications from previous SED TV patents. This may be the beginning of Canon’s attempt to produce SED panels without using the Nano-Proprietary patented technology.

We remember that the manufacturing cost for SED had been the major hurdle for consumer production--Canon had been working on it. So perhaps Canon had already found that an art not covered in the Nano-Proprietary patents could be used for SED, and be more easily manufactured.

Sometimes good ideas need just a little more time to finish.

cablenest

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/9509424

Isn't amazing that the gatekeepers of the continuation of inferior display technologies, that want to see SED die for good, can't do any better than post some old news.

HD-DVD is dead, yes, but not SED. The hope of SED lives within me. Keep hope alive

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/13157801

Isn't amazing that the gatekeepers of the continuation of inferior display technologies, that want to see SED die for good, can't do any better than post some old news.

?!?!?

The link you point to as someone posting "old news" is one from a post from over a year ago. The purpose of cablenest's post yesterday that revived this thread, as far as I can tell, was to say "maybe Canon's involvement ain't as dead as most people think."

In other words, "lighten up, Francis."

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablenest /forum/post/13151064

I would have posted this on Official SED NEWS & Technology Thread Part 2, but the thread is closed (sound bite -- dum dum de-dum DUM de dum de dum de dum.) But wait, hold that shovel, did anyone hear something?!

http://donpatent.blogspot.com/2008/0...patent-is.html :

http://www.sed-tv-reviews.com/canon-...-reissued.html :

We remember that the manufacturing cost for SED had been the major hurdle for consumer production--Canon had been working on it. So perhaps Canon had already found that an art not covered in the Nano-Proprietary patents could be used for SED, and be more easily manufactured.

Sometimes good ideas need just a little more time to finish.

cablenest

How do they avoid the Keesman patent?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Well if Sony's OLED and Pioneer's Extreme Concept model is any indication.

Who cares?

I really don't know why anyone would. You already have an 11 inch display out RIGHT NOW that can get as dark as a blackhole in a pitch black room. Its thinner than Allie McBeal. And whites are blazing LCD white. Screen size is going up soon.

Why would you care?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandis /forum/post/13223389

SED? LOL. It's a stillborn technology, not sure it's worth discussion anymore

Is Auditor55 some kind of paid advertising plant for SED, btw? Ugh.

Uh... duh.

"Keep the dream alive!"

More like a nightmare at this point... if you're an SED fan of course.

·
Registered
302 Posts
As pointed out by johnnybrulez earlier, at least OLED has a unit out there that is a production model.

Look at SED, prototypes two-three years ago, then they stopped during CES 2007 and 2008 (due to the legal issues between Canon and others) and now, not a single word is heard about it.

We all have to move on from SED.........but I guess there are still some people who have become desparate believing that Toshiba can make it happen (calling Auditor55).

Oh well......the longer people place their heads in the sand for too long, the more that they refuse to let anyone bail/bring them out.

Disillusion I guess

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
It's still going to be years before we see OLED in 50"-60" sizes and then it has to become affordable so that's not much to get excited about now.

However, if the extreme contrast Kuro sounds like it may be a reality next year with possibly 10 lumens (and possibly Panasonic also), what does SED have over those two? This TV will outdo SED in black levels as SED actually had a measurable contrast. I was once excited about SED but it appears that these "old" technologies are leaving SED sitting on the sidelines watching these rookies surpass them in talent and can be purchased and will be relatively affordable.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/13229983

It's still going to be years before we see OLED in 50"-60" sizes and then it has to become affordable so that's not much to get excited about now.

However, if the extreme contrast Kuro sounds like it may be a reality next year with possibly 10 lumens (and possibly Panasonic also), what does SED have over those two? This TV will outdo SED in black levels as SED actually had a measurable contrast. I was once excited about SED but it appears that these "old" technologies are leaving SED sitting on the sidelines watching these rookies surpass them in talent and can be purchased and will be relatively affordable.

Well even though I agree w/ you... an 11 inch OLED screen is a billion times more reason to be excited over a tech that was supposed to come out 3 years ago that is still in limbo. Add to the fact that SED 'may have' stomped the competition 3 years ago but w/ OLED and Plasmas and LCDs making such leaps in that time? Pioneer's Kuro series. Samsungs LED displays. Sony's OLED?

Yeah... I am sure plenty of videophiles are crying in their sleep.
I know you'll be excited xb once the extreme contrast or an OLED gets in your hands. They'll be thinner than SED. They'll be more affordable. And they'll look just as good if not better.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez /forum/post/13230929

Well even though I agree w/ you... an 11 inch OLED screen is a billion times more reason to be excited over a tech that was supposed to come out 3 years ago that is still in limbo. Add to the fact that SED 'may have' stomped the competition 3 years ago but w/ OLED and Plasmas and LCDs making such leaps in that time? Pioneer's Kuro series. Samsungs LED displays. Sony's OLED?

I know you'll be excited xb once the extreme contrast or an OLED gets in your hands. They'll be thinner than SED. They'll be more affordable. And they'll look just as good if not better.

Don't get me wrong as OLED is exciting but it's just a tease until one is available in an affordable 60" size. And yeah it'll be great once these improved models come out with more reasonable sizes. As always waiting for the next best thing in TVs

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez /forum/post/13230929

Please sir, stop it. SED is still vastly superior to anything out there today. Don't even mention the Kuro with SED. You have been told time and time and again that SED has no equals. You refuse to believe it.

Once again, SED is superior to the Kuro in every single aspect of display technology. SED is a flawless technology. Once AVS'ers realize this we can start the demand to actualize this technology.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.