AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version: If you have a Toshiba DVD player and a Yamaha receiver, and you are using the receiver to decode DD 5.1 (not sure about DTS), you will probably experience audio dropping out.

I have experienced this problem recently with my Yamaha RX-V2092 and a Toshiba 3750. I then tried a Toshiba 5700 and had the same results. Movies with a 2-channel soundtrack were fine, but DD 5.1 would have audio dropouts several times per movie. I also experienced compatibility problems with this receiver and my old Toshiba 3709. My Toshiba 3109, however, has never had a problem.

In an earlier thread, j768 commented that he started getting audio drops with his Yamaha RX-V2200 and Philips Q50. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=135078 near the bottom of page 1. His Pioneer Elite DV-C36 was fine though. So it doesn't seem to be limited to just Toshiba players. Definitely something to keep in mind if you're thinking about buying a Yamaha receiver.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I used to use a Toshiba 3107 with Yamaha 2095 combo, and there were dropouts. When I moved to a Pioneer 525 player, they stopped. The Toshiba 3107 didn't drop out with my Yamaha 795 or HK 310 receivers though.

There's always that "luck of the draw" issue you gotta deal with, I guess. That's why I always hope for more than just one "perfect" DVD player to come out. What if that one doesn't mesh with my decoder for some strange reason? Just another wrinkle in the buying process.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've never had the first problem with my Yamaha HTR-5150. And I've used it with DTS and DD5.1 connected to the following:

1. Toshiba 2109

2. Toshiba 5109

3. Toshiba 4700

4. Skyworth 1050p

5. Dish 6000 (DD 5.1, no DTS obviously)

6. SIR-T150 HDTV decoder (DD 5.1, no DTS obviously)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I had this problem 4 years ago with my Yamaha DSP A3090 and a Toshiba dvd player. Toshiba tried to tell me it was my Yami, guess which one I chucked? Anyway, I got the Sony 7000 dvd player and I'm still using it today with no problems or audio dropouts ever. The Sony has been a great first generation dvd player. :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Toshiba players are notorious for audio drop outs. My SD-2108 does it with my Integra receiver. The newer players seem to be better, but they still happen. There also seems to be no hard pattern. Some people get them, some don't even with similar configurations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used a Toshiba 3107 with a Yamaha DSP A1 for three years, and never experienced any drop out of the DD 5.1. The separation and sound quality was always top notch.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The only time I had a dropout was with the Shrek dvd set on DTS.

This happens right after the Dreamworks logo appears.

I have a Toshiba SD-1600 and Yamaha HTR-5250.

I probably would get another Toshiba.

I don't plan on getting another receiver for a long time.

The receiver will be another Yamaha or a Denon.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was able to fix my issue between the RX-V2200 and Q50 by using a coax digital cable rather than 1 leg of a cheap stereo patch cord for the digital signal to the receiver. It appears that either the strength of the signal from the Q50 is somewhat weak or the 2200 is extremely sensitive about the signal is gets, since it is auto-sensing. I had previously used the patch cord from the DV-C36 and the Q50, which was connected to a Pioneer Elite receiver that was not auto-sensing, and never had the first bit of issue with either DVD player. Once I switched over to the digital coax cable, I never had another audio drop.

Based upon this, it appeared that the issue was more with the receiver than the player.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi guys,

Hmmm, looking for a DVD-R compatible player thats tried and tested and stumbled on this thread after considering Toshiba SD4700-4800, I have a Yamaha RX-795A and at present using a Skyworth 1050P. Seems the SD4700 DVD player ran all DVD-R media which I need at this point including pro format Sonic.

The Skyworth was solid in my case using the coax but not DVD-R compatible on some of the media, so I have a dilemma of finding the right one for my needs. In this application I dont need the progressive output.

Is there anymore I overlooked or need to worry about, was this just toslink related or did anyone else have a problem. Thanks in advance. Doug

What is the difference in the SD4700-4800?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Folks,

Using a RX-V800 receiver and a SD4205 DVD player. Never experienced any drop out issues with either DD 5.1 or DTS. Audio to the receiver using the optical toslink.

-R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.