1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
/drool ;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I must say, they make it sound nice. I am the No. 1 skeptic on anyone actually shipping an LCoS set and it actually being good. I will tell you that I hope against hope they ship this puppy, and it rocks, and it starts a revolution.

I will, however, believe it when I see it. Also, I don't think too many people are paying $9K for the set. Even the Grand Wega saturated within 2-3 months at $8K. I realize the Grand Wega sucks, but without the ability to hang the set on the wall, it will be compared to regular projection sets more so than plasma.

Go Toshiba!

Mark

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No burn-in, correc? If so, and if the set can at least look as good as the average calibrated CRT display of the same size, then it is worth buying.

IF you have the money, of course. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
FCSmith:

Good eye. Thanks for the link.

This will be pretty humbling for Texas Instruments, Three-Five Systems and the LCoS nay-sayers.

I wonder how many units Mitsubishi will sell of their 2002 WD65001 which is the 65" DLP RP HDTV (1280 x 720 max) who's MSRP is $17,500? How many dumbasses do they think are out there that will spend TWICE as much money for an INFERIOR product? One? Maybe two? That'll be profitable...

So, here are the stats:

57" 16:9 triple LCoS RP HDTV

17" thin

130 pounds (59 kg)

1920 x 1080p resolution at 60 hz

XGA PC resolution at 72 hz with no burn in

DVI-D, D-sub15, component inputs

MSRP $8999.99.

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am excited about this set, but I won't pay 9K for it. I'll probably just buy a set in the next few months (maybe the Samsung DLP if it proves out), and hope to upgrade to the Toshiba later, after the price comes down, and after it is proven. I'm a bit skeptical because of the Samsung fLCD and RCA LCOS vaporware projects. If it does pan out though, it will certainly blow current RPTVs out of the water.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Thanks for the link.

Hey, wait a minute. I thought I couldn't use this display because it wasn't a tabletop and I need the space underneath the set for equipment.

BUT:

"A built-in storage space underneath the screen is ideal for either a center-channel home theater speaker or additional components. "

So maybe it is a contender. I agree that $9k is too much - maybe $5k-$6k. It just means more waiting. (for the price to fall)

Ken

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
And, again, fc and sawyer: HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW?

This thing could easily suck. Or it could be the greatest display known to man for it's size.

How do you know?

I do agree that the era of the overpriced DLP RPTV is over before it ever gets started -- IF, Toshiba actually ships in Q4.

I don't see TI being humbled. They appear to be targeted a much larger market for smaller sets at much, much lower price.

I don't see the LCoS naysayers humbled yet. Also, I did not know Toshiba was using Three Five's imager. Are they? If so, I have to say I am even *more* skeptical of on-time shipping. Three Five is clearly a joke of a company. A sort of Presstek for the digital-display age. The product is real, it can kind of be built, but, c'mon, they are taking over no world.

Now I am re-reading your post and it seems to suggest Three Five will be humbled by this. That I could agree with!

I very much like that they decided to accommodate a center channel. Clearly RCA forgot this critical feature in the L5000 fictional Scenium LCoS. [Note: Toshiba didn't help in my 43" RPTV set either, as they made the top too narrow.... Fools!]

I will say that this certainly has the potential to be the world's coolest computer monitor, even if HT performance is only so so.

I also will reiterate: I really hope it ships!

Mark

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Rogo,

Why do you think that the Grand Wega "sucks?" I am looking to purchase one and would like to hear your opinion. People either love them or hate them.

By the way, if you are reffering to the set having a problem with the "blacks", I looked at a top of the line Pioneer plasma screen today that had the same issues with "black levels"

Frank T. Lee

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rogo,

When you ask so eloquently, "HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW?", what exactly are you talking about? I said (in bold this time so perhaps you will see it):

"I'm a bit skeptical because of the Samsung fLCD and RCA LCOS vaporware projects. If it does pan out though, it will certainly blow current RPTVs out of the water."

Does that sound like I think I know anything for sure about the set? If Toshiba can deliver the set as they describe it, it will be beyond any RPTV out there or in anyone's immediate plans. However, there is certainly reason for skepticism based on other efforts with this technology, and I think I noted that well enough for anyone who was paying attention.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Quote:
Also, I did not know Toshiba was using Three Five's imager. Are they? If so, I have to say I am even *more* skeptical of on-time shipping.
If you read between the lines in this quote from the Toshiba press release, "Noted Scott Ramirez, Toshiba Vice President of Marketing: 'Toshiba engineered every aspect of the Cinema Series 57HLX82 to create the world's best projection TV, offering true reference-standard image quality'..." then you'd expect that they are manufacturering their own chip, just as JVC has done with the D-ILA LCoS chip for years.

There are only a handful of LCoS OEMs out there anyway, including Hana , Zight, JVC , Sony, Spatial Light , Toshiba / Hitachi and Three Five Systems (RCA, Huxian ) to name a few.

But this technology is not proprietary as DLP is with Texas Instruments and is subject to multi-sourcing, as we have discussed before, which should allow for some nice intra-industry competition, instead of monopolistic gouging that is common with cutting edge technological advances.

So, the point being, we should see dramatic price drops once the startup capital is fulfilled by initial yields and competition kicks in. In the meantime, early adopters will be enjoying the 1080p that they deserve.

Oh, and FC, don't let Mark piss you off. He comes across pretty abrasive, but actually is fairly knowledgable and allows for good debate provocation. :D

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I seriously didn't mean to piss anyone off. The phrase "...will certainly blow current RPTVs out of the water" just struck me as odd. Based on specs? Based on what? Resolution is not everything. And there are exactly zero LCoS RPTVs on the market. Maybe they will all suck big time. It's possible. Who knows?

As for the Grand Wega, I think the contrast is abysmal, the blacks suck, the scaling leaves much to be desired and the deinterlacing is abominable on compressed MPEG sources. It's thin, big, reasonably bright and burn-in free, though, which makes it a great choice for some applications. Depends on what you need and what you want in picture quality.

Mark

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I for one buy the idea that 1280x720 DLP RPTVs "...will certainly blow current RPTVs out of the water" ... based on the precision of the DLP display compared to the fuzziness of almost all CRT RPTVs that I've seen.

One particular Grand Wega looked pretty good to me in the store, but the lighting conditions were nowhere near those I would have at home. (My darkened viewing room should make it look better!) Sure would like to see a detailed review.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use my HDTV as a big PC monitor for gaming some of the time. So I looked at the specs a little differently then a few of you. The thing that caught my attentions was the "XGA monitor".... whats up with that? It has 1920x1080 native res panels and they limit the DSUB connector to 800x600? Or are they using "XGA" in the late 80s meaning of anything over VGA (640x480) instead of the standard projector termonology (800x600).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This is yet another interesting technology to watch. I would love to see one of these live. I am assuming that the 3-chip design introduces the need for convergence? Also, no one ever answered the question as to whether these sets will have any burn-in issues?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
BTDT,

This technology has no burn-in issues. At least that's the common knowledge.

Sublime,

XGA is 1024x768. You'd think with this set you could get SXGA, 1280x1024, or of course it native 1920x1080 with custom settings.

Syzygy,

I just got an HT mag in the mail with a detailed review of the Grand Wega. I looked for it this morning but couldn't find it. (It's either AVI, SGHT, HT, S&V, TPV, or WSR :) Anyway, they said what everyone (including me) says, that it is sharp, colorful, and generally wonderful in every way except blacks. They were able to calibrate it perfectly except for the blacks. :(

Ken

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hmm....

Patrick G, you picture looks like it was taken by an actual human. Did you see this set, and if so, what was your impression of it?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.