AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For of those of you considering the RD-X2. Computers4sure.com has the best deal I've been able to find. They price this item at $692.95, but right now they're offering free ground shipping and if you enter coupon code LSC673 you get $20 off. This brings the delivered price to $672.95. It isn't in stock, so I'm not sure how long a wait to expect, but this is a great price if you're considering this unit and are willing to be patient. I already had it on order, but cancelled it and re-ordered to capture the free shipping deal, when I stumbled on the $20 off coupon. The coupon code expire on 11/30 and I think the free shipping offer is also ending soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also ordered an RD-X2 from Tech Depot (aka Computers4Sure) on backorder. After I had been on backorder for a couple of weeks, one of the customer service reps there offered to check directly with the distributor/supplier and see when it would come in...she seemed confident that it should be there soon. She called me back and told me, after speaking to whoever her distributor/supplier is, that they were NEVER getting them in.

Factor in the fact that it appears that virtually nobody on the web has them in stock and it starts to make you wonder...

Think I'll call Tosh and see if they have any comments...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just talked with Tosh tech support. They told me that they have to buy the RD-X2 from their unit in Japan. They originally ordered only 500, because they didn't know if there was going to be any interest in them :eek:

Anyway, they were pretty overwhelmed by the response. They say that they have ordered a lot more, but the mfr hasn't told them when they will get here. The guy I talked to told me "hopefully in 1 or 2 weeks".

Now I just need to contact Tech Depot and see if that changes their mind about when/if they're going to get them...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Why would anybody want an RD-X2 in the first place! Consider yourselves lucky they are not available and get the HS2 or wait for the Pioneer.

And yes, I had one and I sold it and I would not buy another one if they where $200.

Make a search on RD-X2 before you spend money on that unit and read threads like That One

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been trying to be really careful about my decision. I've read every post on this board that mentions the Tosh or the Pannys (in all their versions). I've done the same on several other boards, and read reviews of all those machines on every website I could find.

With all due respect, it is painfully obvious to me that both brands have an equal number of (not always reasonable) detractors and supporters. I've seen an awful lot of "I wouldn't take the Panny/Tosh (take your pick) if you paid me, and the Tosh/Panny (take your pick) is the greatest DVD recorder around." When I look at all the features that are important to me (not necessarily the same as those that would be important to others) for my planned use, the Tosh is the best fit, and the Pannys have several things that don't suit. And, frankly, I've had quality problems with every Panny product I ever bought, but none with Toshiba--though, to be fair, I have friends who have had exactly the opposite experience.

So, the net is that there is no glib, one-size-fits-all answer. I'm willing to bet that both of these machines have specific uses and users that they are best suited to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.