AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 23 of the Installation Guide, it says to connect a cable box to Input 1, and on page 24 it says to connect a satellite receiver to Input 3. Both can be used with the G-Link IR blaster. I have neither since I have analog cable coming in via coax.

On page 49 of the Operations Guide, the diagram shows an external VCR connected to Inputs L-1 (rear of unit) or L-2 (front of unit), but on page 50 it says you can connect a VCR to Inputs L-1 (rear), L-2 (front) or L-3 (rear), adding the note, "Select L-3 to record from a connected satellite box using the DSS set top box control function."

Now, the RD-XS35 is woefully lacking that most basic of VCR functions, a recording off-timer, which would allow to start a recording and set an end time, say two hours later, without having to babysit the machine in order to stop the recording manually when the source VCR tape is finished. This fundamental shortcoming has been bemoaned previously in this forum, and a workaround does exist which consists of using the TVGOS interface to set the line-in recording to end 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60, 90 or 120 minutes late. That works, but 120 minutes late is the farthest it will go. What about tapes that go longer?

My question, then, is what if any difference there is between L-1 and L-3, and does input L-3 perhaps auto-detect a signal and start, or more importantly stop if it no longer detects a signal, thus ending the recording automatically when the tape comes to an end?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
No difference between L-1, L-2, or L-3. I have an RD-XS32 but I think it has the same interface. On my RD-XS32 you can use the record menu to set a start time and a stop time for any channel or any input. I thought the RD-XS35 would allow the same thing.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where exactly do you find this "record menu"? Perhaps the XS32 and the XS35 are different in that respect. Does the XS32 have TVGOS?

Well, I did a little experiment. I tried a recording from an external VCR through Input L-3, the input recommended by the manual for a satellite receiver, and used the TVGOS interface to set it to stop recording 120 minutes late, the maximum for that setting as described above.

To my surprise, the XS35 ended the recording on its own, but the recording had a duration of about 2:17, so 137 minutes. Checking the end of the recorded program, I see that it ends about 5 minutes after the tape ends and the VCR goes to bluescreen. The recorded program itself runs about 2:12, so 132 minutes.

It's a pleasant surprise because now I don't have to babysit my recording or even figure out beforehand exactly how long to program the recording session to last. It just stopped recording automatically about five minutes after the tape stopped. I can easily edit out the last five minutes or so of bluescreen.

I wonder if this also works if I simply press the record button with an L-3 input source. And what about if I select a different duration from the 120 minutes I set the TVGOS interface to end the recording late? Logically it shouldn't have an effect, because how did setting it for 120 minutes late this time end up giving me a recording of 2:17?

If anyone has any experience or theories about Input L-1 vs. L-3, or doing a timed recording with an XS35 or other Toshiba machine, feel free to post here.

In the meantime, I'll keep experimenting.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, simply pressing the record button with an L-3 input source from VCR does not have the same effect. The Toshiba just keeps recording on and on until it is stopped manually.

Next, I'll try the same procedure that worked above, but this time without setting the recording to finish 120 mins. late. This time, I won't even set it to end late at all, to see what happens. I'll just record from VCR via L-3 and use the TVGOS interface to start the recording, or as it calls it, "schedule recording," but starting right away. We'll see if it stops on its own.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That didn't work either. The recording stopped on its own, but about 22 mins. after it started recording. I'll try the same thing, but setting the timer to end 60 mins. late this time. I have a theory.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, just as I suspected, the recording ended on its own after about an hour and seven minutes.

I think I've got it figured out now. It doesn't auto detect a signal on L-3, and in fact I'm sure the results would be the same for L-1 and L-2. It's a timed recording of sorts. By using the TVGOS interface, once you select a Line In as your source, the XS35 sees it as a TV show, displays it at the top of your TVGOS channel display and assigns it a default TV show duration of 30 minutes. However many minutes you're into that half hour, if you start a recording, it records for however much time is left in that half hour. So if you start the recording at 7:42 PM, the recording goes another 18 minutes before it stops on its own, as if you started recording a half hour show once the show has already begun, and it stops when that half hour show is "scheduled" to end, either on the next hour or on the next half hour. But, as mentioned, you also have the option of setting the recording to end 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90, or 120 minutes late. That is added to however much time remains of your half hour when you start recording. So, if you start recording, for instance, at 7:42 PM, which leaves 18 minutes before it would normally stop on its own at 8 PM, but add the 120 minutes (that's the max) you can set it to end the recording late, 18 + 120 = 138 minutes before it ends the recording automatically.

This workaround works fine for standard 120 min. SP VHS tape, can be made to work for 160 min. SP tape if you start recording sometime between the hour and ten past the hour or half past the hour and 40 minutes past the hour, but you'd have to start your recording on the hour or the half hour right on the nose if you wanted it to work with 180 SP VHS tape. Clear as mud?

For my purposes, I'm pretty happy with this whackadoodle workaround because I mostly transfer 120 and 160 min. SP VHS tape. I also do DV cam transfers but that's another procedure entirely, using the DV In interface, and it works great. But for VHS recordings this is a boon because now that I've figured out how the above works, I can set it and forget it, without having to babysit my VHS transfers in order to stop the recordings manually.

So, for the benefit of anyone for whom this might be useful, here's a recap of how to do it:
  1. Connect your VCR to any Input, L-1, L-2 or L-3.
  2. Using the Input Select button beneath the charming flip-open door of the remote, select whatever Line In you've got your VCR connected to.
  3. Press the TV Guide button on your remote. Your Line In will be at the the top of the channel list and already highlighted.
  4. Press the Menu button on your remote. Select "set recording."
  5. For "end," incrementally select how many minutes late you want to add to what remains of the current half hour.
  6. You can also specify the quality at this point.
  7. Pressing ENTER on the remote highlights "schedule recording" in yellow. Pressing ENTER on the remote again starts the recording immediately.

Why Toshiba doesn't have a normal timed recording function, by pressing the record button incrementally to end a recording in 30, 60, 90, 120 mins, etc., like every every other video recorder has had since the early '90s, is beyond me. Unless... and this is not beyond the realm of possibility, I've overlooked something obvious.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/14228537

Whoah, for a moment there a quick seach made me think I in fact had overlooked something obvious , but alas no .

If anyone knows of another method to do a timed recording with a Toshiba RD-XS35, please jump in.

Check under the flip down lid for a record button or something like that. You should be able to schedule a start time and a stop time for any channel or any input.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps your RD-XS32 remote and my RD-XS35 remote are different, because the closest thing I can find on mine to a "record button or something like that" under the flip-down lid is Record Mode (number 49), but that's just used to choose a bitrate quality preset for a recording. Does your remote look like this?

That said, looking through the manual I think I may have found another way to skin this cat. On page 43, there are instructions on how to:
Quote:
Set recording by specifying details manually

1) Press TV Guide.

TV Guide On Screen LISTINGS appears.

2) Press / to select “SCHEDULE”.

3) Press Menu.

“Schedule Options” appears.

4) Press / to select “new manual recording” then press ENTER.

“Record Options” appears.

5) Press / to select “date” then press the number buttons to input the date (month, day, year).

To shift the highlight, press / .

6) Press / to select “start” then press the number buttons or / to input the start time (hour, minute,

am/pm).

To shift the highlight, press / .

Also set “end” in the same manner.

7) Press / to select “channel” then press the number buttons to input a channel number.

8) Press / to select “input” then press / to select the input.

Tuner: TV broadcast

Line 1, 2, 3: external device connected to the recorder

9) Press / to select “recorder” then press / to select the recording drive (HDD, DVD).

10)Press ENTER.

“Record Options” is closed.

The icon appears on the TV program.

So, to to a timed recording with this interface, select the Line In your VCR is connected to in step 8, then in the last part of step 6 select whatever (clock) time you want your recording to end. Note that by default the start date and time are today and the last half hour point the clock has passed (e.g., if it's 2:11 AM, the default start time is 2:00 AM), so pressing ENTER when the "schedule recording" button is highlighted yellow starts the recording immediately. Therefore, calculate what end time you have selected minus what time it is now to get your total recording duration, (e.g., an end time of 4:30 AM minus the current time of 2:11 AM = a recording duration of 2 hours and 19 minutes.

The advantage of this method is that you can go beyond the 120 mins. + the remaining part of a half hour described in the previous method. The maximum time for any recording is 9 hours, though, as it states elswhere in the manual.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that I think about it, I could swear I've read something about this second method somewhere. If anybody has posted something like this before, please step up and take credit, because it's not my intention to reinvent the wheel.

Also, I should probably change the title of this thread from "Toshiba RD-XS35: Record from VCR through Input 1 or Input 3?" to "Toshiba RD-XS35: Timed Recorder Workarounds."

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/14228709

Perhaps your RD-XS32 remote and my RD-XS35 remote are different, because the closest thing I can find on mine to a "record button or something like that" under the flip-down lid is Record Mode (number 49), but that's just used to choose a bitrate quality preset for a recording. Does your remote look like this?

That said, looking through the manual I think I may have found another way to skin this cat. On page 43, there are instructions on how to:

So, to to a timed recording with this interface, select the Line In your VCR is connected to in step 8, then in the last part of step 6 select whatever (clock) time you want your recording to end. Note that by default the start date and time are today and the last half hour point the clock has passed (e.g., if it's 2:11 AM, the default start time is 2:00 AM), so pressing ENTER when the "schedule recording" button is highlighted yellow starts the recording immediately. Therefore, calculate what end time you have selected minus what time it is now to get your total recording duration, (e.g., an end time of 4:30 AM minus the current time of 2:11 AM = a recording duration of 2 hours and 19 minutes.

The advantage of this method is that you can go beyond the 120 mins. + the remaining part of a half hour described in the previous method. The maximum time for any recording is 9 hours, though, as it states elswhere in the manual.

My remote is different than yours. However the method I was attempting to describe is exactly what you have described.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I guess the XS32 has a dedicated button on the remote for accessing a manual recording function, whereas on the XS35 it's buried deep within the TVGOS interface.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/14230286

So I guess the XS32 has a dedicated button on the remote for accessing a manual recording function, whereas on the XS35 it's buried deep within the TVGOS interface.

Sorry, I just saw this thread or I could have saved you a lot of trouble. Anyway, you have figured it out, mostly. Just want to point out that you can set both the start and end times for any length recording. You don't have to use the "remaining half hour" approach. So you can set the start time, for example, to be 2:20 PM (and let's assume it's currently 2:17 PM), and the end time to be whatever you need, let's say 3:27 PM for an hour 7 minutes, for example. You set your input etc. as you described above. Then you just wait until 2:20 PM and start your playback device on whatever input you selected and it will record for an hour 7 minutes and stop. I usually watch the display and wait til I see recording start and then press play on the device.

Not as easy as the "press record multiple times" method on other devices but it works.

By the way, do yourself a big favor and get a universal learning remote and remap the crappy toshiba remote to it. A lot easier. I use an MX-500, but there are many good ones.

I think you will like the XS-35. Once you learn it, it's a great unit with great picture quality and a lot of nice features. The Quick Menu button is your friend. It has great editing capabilities and makes great disk menus with custom backgrounds and so on. It's the only machine I know of that can rival a PC's editing capabilities. I never thought I'd edit on the machine (I've always done it on a PC and still do for many things), but with the XS-35, I do it that way all the time.

As you discovered, it's a great deck for capturing and editing DV content form video cams. The ability to divide and combine, edit chapters, make menus, etc. means you can whip out a DVD of your DV footage in no time.

Have fun!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

I do love this feature-rich machine. I've had an LG, a Pioneer 633, a Panasonic EH50 and EH55, and a Philips 3575, but the Toshiba RD-XS35 is the keeper, for all the reasons you mention and much more.

Your approach is good, but I think I'd rather just start the recording right away instead of waiting there for a couple of minutes with my finger on the trigger. And if you're momentarily distracted by something when your start time rolls around and you miss it, you have to reprogram the start and end times and start over. With the manual recording method, all you need to do is set an end time that covers the duration of your tape. It's probably a good idea not to calculate it too tightly in case your recording stops a little before your tape actually does, so I allot an extra 10 mins. or so margin which can be easily edited off the end.

I've got a universal learning remote, but I haven't gotten around to using it, because my display is an InFocus DLP projector above and behind me, which complicates matters slightly, but despite its imperfections I don't find the XS35 remote so bad. It's the devil I know, with my fingers in the dark. There are a lot worse remotes out there.

One feature I really like on it is not only the commercial skip button (no. 18 in the diagram above), which by default skips 30 secs. but can also be programmed to whatever you like, but also just to the left of it is the Instant Replay button (no. 19), which by default skips back 10 secs. in case you overshoot the commercial break. The Panny EH50 has the former but not the latter, for example, so if you overshoot the commercial break with the Panny you have to struggle with its unergonomic ringy thing.

The worst is a Koss DVD player I got for its SD slots and ability not only to play DivX/Xvid files but also the identically named .srt subtitle files burned on the same disc. Its remote is truly hateful, consisting essentially of identical rows of minuscule buttons with even smaller and unreadable black on silver writing - a real POS.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Cool. Yeah, I like your method fine. Just pointing out another way for the record.

Btw, if your Koss ever dies, look into a Toshiba R-400 DVD recorder (or the twin KR10, but not the 410 -they dropped DivX playback for some stupid reason) which plays DivX/Xvid beautifully. It also has a neat feature called 'satellite' mode where it will monitor the input port and start recording when a signal appears and end when the signal stops. Pretty cool. It's a tunerless, diskless unit, small and very light. Not anywhere near as nice as the XS-35, very basic, but plays DivX well. (Actually, my favorite DivX player is the Toshiba DR-5 (a DVD recorder as well) but you don't see them much anymore. I like it so much I bought a couple of spares when they were going incredibly cheap on ebay.) I use the R-400 with my Epson Home 20 projector.

I just got into this front projector thing, btw, and it's a blast! You're ahead of me there!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bron /forum/post/14240248

Toshiba R-400 DVD recorder [...] has a neat feature called 'satellite' mode where it will monitor the input port and start recording when a signal appears and end when the signal stops. Pretty cool.

That is pretty cool. It's kinda what I was hoping at the beginning of this thread Input L-3 on the RD-XS35 did, since the manual says to connect a cable box to L-1, but a satellite receiver to L-3. I still wonder why the manual makes that distinction...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I admittedly only skimmed (but fairly 'thoroughly' skimmed) the replies..

But it doesn't seem like this was exactly explained. On the XS32, and I would presume the XS35 has this (but I know the remote is different)..

1) set the input to the one you want

2) start the recording (hit record)

3) hit the "Quick Menu" button

4) choose the first item (something like "set end time")

5) enter the ending time (it defaults to a half hour from 'now')

6) hit enter

This will just use one of the programming slots, so if you already have 32 events entered, you'll get an error of something like 'unable to set end time'. (I did run into that in real world usage at least once a long time ago. Now I have fewer set recordings, mostly actually disabled old ones that I just haven't deleted.)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack /forum/post/14249186

I admittedly only skimmed (but fairly 'thoroughly' skimmed) the replies..

But it doesn't seem like this was exactly explained. On the XS32, and I would presume the XS35 has this (but I know the remote is different)..

1) set the input to the one you want

2) start the recording (hit record)

3) hit the "Quick Menu" button

4) choose the first item (something like "set end time")

5) enter the ending time (it defaults to a half hour from 'now')

6) hit enter

This will just use one of the programming slots, so if you already have 32 events entered, you'll get an error of something like 'unable to set end time'. (I did run into that in real world usage at least once a long time ago. Now I have fewer set recordings, mostly actually disabled old ones that I just haven't deleted.)

Not on the XS-35 for some reason. Was mentioned above, I believe.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl /forum/post/14241177

That is pretty cool. It's kinda what I was hoping at the beginning of this thread Input L-3 on the RD-XS35 did, since the manual says to connect a cable box to L-1, but a satellite receiver to L-3. I still wonder why the manual makes that distinction...

Hmmm...that is interesting. Wonder why that is? Nextoo might know - he's the XS master here. Reading his posts turned me on to the XS series. Not sure if there's anything different about L3 vs. L1, have not noticed anything.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The XS35/55 added satellite ir blaster support. Meaning here in the states it incorporated Direct and Dish ir STB codes.

This requires you to use the L-3 input for the satellite video input. When you set up a timer recording using the ir blaster to control a satellite STB the input always defaults to L-3.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts