AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered this weekend that my Toshiba RD-XS54 DVR will not allow me to schedule more than eight different shows to record via TV Guide On Screen. When you attempt to schedule a ninth show, the system silently deletes one of your scheduled programs.

After a half-hour on hold to Toshiba support -- it turns out that the number under warranty service in the manual is not the right number for DVRs, although the correct number is buried somewhere else -- followed by a transfer to the correct number and some more time on hold, I spent 45 minutes talking to the support rep who told me that this undocumented behavior is by design.

Yup, nowhere in the manual does it say that there's an eight program limit, but that appears to be the case, according to Toshiba support. For a DVR like this, that's absurd.

What's more absurd is that, if you go to the TVGOS website, it tells you that there is no limit to the number of shows that you can schedule for Reminder/Record.

So someone's clearly wrong here.

In the meantime, if you want to schedule more than eight recordings in a week, I recommend that you buy something else.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billroper
I discovered this weekend that my Toshiba RD-XS54 DVR will not allow me to schedule more than eight different shows to record via TV Guide On Screen. When you attempt to schedule a ninth show, the system silently deletes one of your scheduled programs.
Wow, that is VERY strange. I was pleasantly surprised at the manual recording setup in my XS32.

It sorts the recordings when you go into the recording list -- I think it sorts the DISABLED recordings first (sounds annoying but it can be helpful), then it sorts in distance from 'now' when it will record.. So it's easy to find things. Rather than a VCR-like list of items that are only sorted by when you programmed them.

I have 3 pages of recordings in my XS32 now (most disabled since I'm only recording to DVDs at the moment).

BTW, I suggest you return it if you still can.. and write them a letter (paper letter) telling them why you did it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
AFAIK there is no limit to the number of TVGOS scheduled recordings that I can have on my Panasonic E-500. I know I've had more than 8 at one time. Very strange indeed...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
Wow, that is VERY strange. I was pleasantly surprised at the manual recording setup in my XS32.

It sorts the recordings when you go into the recording list -- I think it sorts the DISABLED recordings first (sounds annoying but it can be helpful), then it sorts in distance from 'now' when it will record.. So it's easy to find things. Rather than a VCR-like list of items that are only sorted by when you programmed them.

I have 3 pages of recordings in my XS32 now (most disabled since I'm only recording to DVDs at the moment).

BTW, I suggest you return it if you still can.. and write them a letter (paper letter) telling them why you did it.
I'm not sure I can return it at this point, but your comment about manual recording made me try setting that up. It turns out that I was able to add a couple of manual recordings, which took me past the eight item limit. Once that was done, I was able to hold more than eight TVGOS recordings.

I'd say there's something wrong with the firmware here. I'd also say there's something wrong with Toshiba's technical support for claiming that there's a limit of eight that's not documented in the manual and which TVGOS specifically contradicts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billroper
I discovered this weekend that my Toshiba RD-XS54 DVR will not allow me to schedule more than eight different shows...
Strange... I've never counted them but I have had multiple pages of scheduled recordings on my RD-XS34. I know there were more than eight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me3
Strange... I've never counted them but I have had multiple pages of scheduled recordings on my RD-XS34. I know there were more than eight.
Yeah, it seems that there's something bogus in the firmware for a freshly initialized XS54, because they duplicated the problem on their unit at Toshiba technical support (or so they said) and then proceeded to tell me that was the behavior that I should expect, despite the documentation being completely silent on the matter.

Toshiba Support: We Don't Have Bugs, We Have Undocumented Features!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, there's no longer an eight program hard limit, but it still seems to randomly delete items from the schedule. Anyone have any ways to get Toshiba to take ownership of this problem?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not sure random deletion is a Toshiba-specific issue. My Panasonic EH50 does the exact same thing - deletes items off the Schedule that should remain on it as "regularly" set items.

It seems to always be the same shows that disappear though, while other ones stay on indefinitely.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack
Hmm, I thought there was another thread about recording limits that I commented in, but this is the only one I found in a search.

I have a slight update. I was under the mistaken impression that there wasn't a limit on my XS32 -- because the UI seemed to add a new page for recordings when you'd fill one page up.

But I was wrong. There is a 32 slot recording limit.. So it's just 4X as many as a VCR is.

While 32 is fairly many, especially since most recordings would be set up to be repeating recordings, I ran into the limit when trying to break up some recordings into separate ones. (There's one educational show that shows on a local PBS station for two separate half hours, 3 days a week.. So I was trying to make individual recordings for each of them, plus I have Wed-Sat recordings for Conan, and Tues-Sat recordings for Later, plus a Mon-Fri recording for tonight show.. you can see how I can actually fill it up fast.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.