AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded a show on my upstairs system with the Toshiba RD-XS35 and copied it to a DVD. I wanted to show it to the kids on the bigscreen through my HTPC, but the computer wouldn't recognize the drive let alone the DVD disc. Is this a copy protection scheme or what is going on? I'd also like to take the show and edit out commercials but I'm assuming there's copy protection that is preventing this?

Thanks!

Neuner

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner /forum/post/0

I recorded a show on my upstairs system with the Toshiba RD-XS35 and copied it to a DVD. I wanted to show it to the kids on the bigscreen through my HTPC, but the computer wouldn't recognize the drive let alone the DVD disc. Is this a copy protection scheme or what is going on? I'd also like to take the show and edit out commercials but I'm assuming there's copy protection that is preventing this?

Thanks!

Neuner

If it wouldn't recognize the drive it sounds more like a drive problem than the DVD.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments! I did all of the work myself except for the main sewer stack relocation. It took 4 guys 4 hours and it would have taken me weeks.

The disk is -R. I only assumed it was finalized. It never gave me the option. I'll put it back in the DVR and see if I find anything. I think I worded my question wrong; The computer recognizes the drive and I've never had troubles with it, but it says it doesn't contain a disc. I tried Nero and it began copying the disc, so there is something that is blocking me from using the disc through normal Windows methods.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

Neuner

My guess is that you simply copied your show to a disc. Toshiba allows you to copy video material to a -R disc without going through the disc creation process first.

Try this:

Put the disc back into the Toshiba. Press the DVD button on the remote to make sure you are working with the DVD drive. Press the edit menu button. Scroll down to DVD-Video Creation. Follow the prompts. It will give you various menu options etc. The disc will finalize automatically.

Alternately if you try to finalize the disc it will bring you back to the DVD-Video Creation menu. Same as above. Follow the prompts.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After you guys mentioned finalize I thought I remembered seeing something like that. I put the disk back in and under the easy nav screen I saw 'Finalize' lit up at the bottom of the screen. Ran through the process & now everything is fine. I'm surprised they don't automatically ask you after you copy. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:

After you guys mentioned finalize I thought I remembered seeing something like that. I put the disk back in and under the easy nav screen I saw 'Finalize' lit up at the bottom of the screen. Ran through the process & now everything is fine. I'm surprised they don't automatically ask you after you copy. Thanks for the help!

It didn't ask because it looks like you just copied a title from the HDD to a disc. Finalizing is automatic if you would have used the DVD-Video Creation process to make a DVD disc. After you copied the title you still needed to go through the DVD-Creation process.

Next time highlight the title under content menu. Then press the edit menu. And use DVD-Video Creation.

Thanks for the post though! I found out I can store clips on a -R. And then copy them back to the HDD. Without creating a DVD-Video disc. I was not aware I could do that.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments! I did all of the work myself except for the main sewer stack relocation. It took 4 guys 4 hours and it would have taken me weeks.....

First rate job. It looks like you've bought first-rate materials with all the money you've saved on labor. Enjoy the new space

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.