AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see much written here about Toshiba recorders, why not? Are they any good?

I've been considering the DR570 or DVR660. Should I look elsewhere? I already have the Magnavox 2160, but don't care for the reception the tuner gives me.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
On your pic quality, is there anything in this help file that might "help" your situation with the 2160? My PQ in my basic (analog) cable sub. is excellent as are many others with cable, OTA and sat, so I'm hoping it might be something in your particular setup or TV service feed?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I remember your "help File" from last year and I tried all of your recommendations to no avail. It seems to have something to do with atmospheric conditions. Sometime it works great, and other times the signal exhibits the "digital cliff".

·
Registered
194 Posts
This year I bought a Toshiba 560 which works very well. I also bought a Toshiba 660 which was defective. Toshiba had me return it and they sent me the newest one, a 670. It is working very well. I have read here that Toshiba's quality has been questionable at times but there are not a lot of choices right now for these and I know these 2 will handle what I need them to do. They do record OTA great. My cable is analog and they give me that quality there.

The 670 I will use for dubbing and getting my VHS tapes to DVD.

Plus it is nice to have the 3 tuners both of these recorders have.

I have a topic here "Where is the free TV I pay for?" if you want to read my problems with the 660 before I gave up and admitted it had to be defective. Some people's reviews of it said they had no problem...well, I did have a problem with copy protection on free channels..which it should not do.

Hope this helps.

By the way the pictures from their tuners are perfect on my LCD HDTV.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have a Toshiba D-R410 recorder. It's the standalone, no tuner. I wish I had gotten the model with the tuner, since Comcast now sends cable channels unencrypted QAM, which would be tunable with the DVD recorder. And I am stuck with the crappy letterboxed widescreen output from my Motorola DVR. But my HDTV does output an anamorphic 16:9 picture from it's composite video output port, when using the TV's tuner, so I will use that when recording live HDTV from networks.

But the recorder itself works fine for me, no issues(knock on wood). It records everything I feed it, via svideo from my DVR. It seems to work just fine with Memorex DVD-Rs, I don't have issues with them, unlike seemingly everyone else here, lol.

This isn't so much about the Toshiba but upscaling recorders/players in general, I let a family member borrow the Tosh for a few weeks, and I had an old 2004 Sony 480p hooked up via component. I immediatly noticed the PQ difference, in the non-upconverting DVD player. I thought it would have been more subtle. I thought wrong. This is on a 56'' 720p DLPTV.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
One point to consider is Funai manufactures both the Magnavox and Toshiba recorders. While there are differences, if you have issues with the Magnavox tuner you may find the same issues on the Toshiba tuner, given they come from the same supplier. Overall, the Magnavox tuner is considered the least troublesome in any ATSC-equipped model: its a good idea to thoroughly check every possible reception issue (cables, antenna, environmental factors) before starting the whole procedure over again with another recorder (whose tuner may be the same or worse than the one in the Magnavox).

ATSC and DVD recorders do not seem to be a good fit, there are more complaints about these built-in recorder tuners than any other hardware item on AVS. Be sure to exhaust every adjustment with your existing equipment before changing from recorder to recorder: you could find yourself jumping from frying pan to fire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought 3 - DR 570's after researching the device, and getting tired of programming a decoder box, and my VCR to record OTA programs. Bought the other 2 for relatives.

I have to say that it works flawlessly - very happy with the tuner, and the abilities of the DVR - especially for $160. Yeah, simple menus, remote lacks a few features (also poor printing), but everything else works well.

Hope the device lasts as long as my old VCR's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at the Toshiba DR570 DVD Recorder. Can you tell me if, say I want to record one hours daily, will it record to the same DVD until full, or does it require a new blank DVD after each time it records? Are you still liking it?

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
DVD-RW and DVD+RW are both erasable, and the Toshiba can use either. So you can use those over.

DVD-R and DVD+R are both permanent, so you will not be able to use those over.

With all formats, they will just record until the disc is full, then stop.

·
Registered
11,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark48 /forum/post/17622764

will it record to the same DVD until full, or does it require a new blank DVD after each time it records? Are you still liking it?

As Ramm said with RWs you can reformat a finalized the disc and use over again, and if I'm reading your question right yes you can keep adding to a regular R disc until it gets full(it doesn't have to be recorded all at once) and until it's been finalized you can even delete previously recorded things but you don't gain back time(it just takes it off the menu).

I don't have a Toshiba but most users seem satisfied, although like Sony, some Toshiba users seem to have problems with false Copy Protection errors.

Also if you care much about picture quality(you have a larger flat screen HDTV or are recording from a down converted HD source) you'll probably want to stick to full resolution SP(2hrs/DVD) or better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts