AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week, I'll be getting a local Houston internet dealer to build an HTPC for me. I will be using the machine strictly for DVD's, PVR, HDTV, and as an MP3 jukebox (i.e. no gaming). The machine's specs will be as follows:

Case - Cooler Master Black ATC-620C

PSU - Antec True430

MOB - ASUS P4P800-VM

CPU - 478-Pin Intel 2.66GHz 800MHz

Memory - Two Kingston 512MB DDR400

HDD - 2 Seagate 120GB SATA Hard Drives

DVD1 - Sony DVD+/-R +/-RW DRU510A

DVD2 - SONY 16X DVD-ROM Drive, DDU1612

Video card - Sapphire ATI RADEON 9600 Atlantis 128MB Video Card w/ DVI and VGA connector

PVR - Win-TV PVR-250

OS - XP-Pro

I will be purchasing a MyHD-120 separately through our friends at Digital Connection. For sound, I plan on using the MOB SPDIF to my Denon-2802 receiver.

My question relates to hooking up to my Toshiba 43HX70 4x3 HD-Ready RPTV, which does only 480p or 1080i. I have read several comments about the video connection difficulties encountered by Toshiba owners, and am wondering which of the following will be my best bet (and if pairing any one of them with Powerstrip is known to work on the Toshiba's).

---9600 via ATI dongle

---MyHD via VGA-Component cable, transcoder, or dongle.

I have two HD inputs on the Toshiba, so I don't necessarily need to run everything through the MyHD output.

I would also appreciate any comments on the system specs.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
FWIW, I'm using AIW 9800Pro to Toshiba 40H80 via. the breakout cable (same as the dongle - just a different form factor). With powerstrip and the timings in the sticky post, I get outstanding 1080i. Literally, 0 overscan. 640x480p and 720x480p also work really well. I get some underscan with 854x480p using the posted timings, and overscan using the default timings.

What model year is your TV?

Martin.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't remember in which year I purchased it, but I'm fairly certain that it's the same model year as your 40H80. IIRC my model next became the 43HX71, while yours next became the 40H81. IIRC, it was with the XX71/81 series that Toshiba started upsampling all 480i/p signals to 540p.

I'm interested in your experience with the AIW 9800. How do you like it for PVR purposes? Some of the negative comments on this forum have scared me away from it. I'm also slightly concerned with the heat, noise, and size of the card, since I'll be using a micro-atx case.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Usual rule of thumb is if you want the most flexibilty and rez control especially for gaming, go with a transcoder. Since that is not part of your plan, do consider the adapter. I use it for DVD, media and music playback as I basically only use 3 rez, 856x480p (at 540p HDTV timings), 1776x1000i for fullscreen media playback and 1920x1080i for DVD with TheaterTek.

The application is more important in this case then the type of display.

·
Registered
598 Posts
So, I'm on the verge of builting my HTPC also. I own a Toshiba 42HDX82 - purchased Sept 2002.

I'm planning on purchasing the Sapphire Radeon 9600 w/ heatsink (to avoid fan noise) and will be using it only for DVDs and pictures - no gaming. Newegg carries this card.

Unfortunately for me, I only have 1 DVI connection to my TV - this is reserved for DirecTV HD STB.

Right now, I'm facing two issues:

1) Go with the dongle for Radeon and connect to component inputs on the TV

or

2) Find a switch that will automatically (or easily switch) between the DVI connection from the Radeon and the STB (e.g., two inputs from HTPC and STB and 1 output to TV).

Suggestions? Would love to understand setup and pros/cons.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
Usual rule of thumb is if you want the most flexibilty and rez control especially for gaming, go with a transcoder. Since that is not part of your plan, do consider the adapter. I use it for DVD, media and music playback as I basically only use 3 rez, 856x480p (at 540p HDTV timings), 1776x1000i for fullscreen media playback and 1920x1080i for DVD with TheaterTek.

The application is more important in this case then the type of display.

Karnis, two questions for you if you don't mind.

1) What do you use the 856x480p resolution for? Is that your desktop or do you play movies from that?

2) 1776x1000i? Define full screen media playback.

I'm still trying to get my rez's set up properly. I get 856x480p no problem, but I'm wondering if I would benefit by higher resolutions or should I be very happy with the 856x480?

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
1) Desktop only.

2) WMP9 Files, etc, basically any video type media not played byTheaterTek, for DVD& TT I use 1920x1080i.

Higher vertical resolutions help reduce jaggies on curves, diagonal lines etc as opposed to 480p for DVd playback.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
sperlsco,

Looks like you're on top of the upconversion issue. You will get optimal viewing with your TV at 480p and 1080i using the dongle, provided you pick the right software. Personally, I use DScaler at 1080i for DVD, and it looks really great.

Quote:
I'm interested in your experience with the AIW 9800. How do you like it for PVR purposes? Some of the negative comments on this forum have scared me away from it. I'm also slightly concerned with the heat, noise, and size of the card, since I'll be using a micro-atx case.
Since you ask... There are a few aspects to the AIW 9800 which should be addressed separately. First, I wanted to the crazy 3d rendering, so the choice was essentially between the 9800 Pro and the AIW 9800 Pro. Second, the AIW comes with a component video breakout cable, while you need to buy it separately with the 9800Pro. Shopping around, the 9800Pro + component dongle cost around the same as the AIW 9800 Pro. So that was a no brainer.

Having said that, I too was very skeptical of the AIW aspects... but for no additional cost, it was worth investigating. The TV tuner aspect works quite well with SnapStream. The only caveat is that the AIW uses the video card's overlay buffer when rendering TV... so you can't record something while watching a DVD. The ATI MMC software... forget about it! Utter crap. Due to the overlay issue, I got a PVR-250, and am trying out SageTV right now.

As for the heat and noise. I replaced the HSF with the Zalman heatpipe solution. At considerable excitement, I may add. Broke the card, got some advice from AVS, and fixed the card. The heat is definitely there under intense 3D use, but adequate case cooling deals with it.

Martin.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am driving a Toshiba 50HX70 4x3 TV through a Radeon 8500LE using a ATI VGA to HDTV adapter. I am basically using my computer as a standards converter from PAL-B to NTSC (I brought the TV over when I moved to India). I use a Pixelview PlayTV Pro PAL-B tuner for TV input.

I only use overlay, i.e. the component output is automatically turned on for video sources without turning on secondary display (if I have explained this connrectly).

640x480 displays perfectly; 720x480 has underscan on both sides and 1080i or 540p just don't work, even if I chose them in the YbYpYr custom settings in the display channels. Anyway I can turn these on in overlay only mode?

Also, if I play a DVD through a player connected to the PlayTV Pro S-Video input, the picture is underscanned on both sides as well as the bottom at 640x480 60Hz even though it plays a perfect tuner picture as I mentioned. Any idea why?

The picture is stunning compared to the S-Video out on a Matrox G550 I was using earlier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Rendall
sperlsco,

Looks like you're on top of the upconversion issue. You will get optimal viewing with your TV at 480p and 1080i using the dongle, provided you pick the right software. Personally, I use DScaler at 1080i for DVD, and it looks really great.

Since you ask... There are a few aspects to the AIW 9800 which should be addressed separately. First, I wanted to the crazy 3d rendering, so the choice was essentially between the 9800 Pro and the AIW 9800 Pro. Second, the AIW comes with a component video breakout cable, while you need to buy it separately with the 9800Pro. Shopping around, the 9800Pro + component dongle cost around the same as the AIW 9800 Pro. So that was a no brainer.

Having said that, I too was very skeptical of the AIW aspects... but for no additional cost, it was worth investigating. The TV tuner aspect works quite well with SnapStream. The only caveat is that the AIW uses the video card's overlay buffer when rendering TV... so you can't record something while watching a DVD. The ATI MMC software... forget about it! Utter crap. Due to the overlay issue, I got a PVR-250, and am trying out SageTV right now.

As for the heat and noise. I replaced the HSF with the Zalman heatpipe solution. At considerable excitement, I may add. Broke the card, got some advice from AVS, and fixed the card. The heat is definitely there under intense 3D use, but adequate case cooling deals with it.

Martin.
Let me know how it goes with Sage TV and PVR 250. I am going to buy this next week I beleive... With the intention of putting it in a seperate box for my 55HX70 Toshiba RPTV. Let me know how it goes with the sagetv, pvr250, and the ATI dongle.

THANKS!

Thanks,

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karnis
1) Desktop only.

2) WMP9 Files, etc, basically any video type media not played byTheaterTek, for DVD& TT I use 1920x1080i.

Higher vertical resolutions help reduce jaggies on curves, diagonal lines etc as opposed to 480p for DVd playback.

Wayne, thanks for the info...

I can do the 856x480p no problem..

I cannot however do 1920x1080i but I can do 1920x540p. How much of a difference will I notice doing 1920x540 vs 1920x1080i?

EDIT: - Ok, like and idiot I forgot to disable tiling in 1920x1080. Is it me or is 1080i a little more fuzzy that 540? It seems to introduce flicker, for lack of a better word, where 1920x540 didn't...

Thanks

Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.