AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there who's tried one or both of these players? Your thoughts about each. Advantages vs. Disadvantages of Toshiba SD 3755 vs Panasonic RP56. Would appreciate anyone's help since I need to make a decision soon and most electronic stores, like the good guys, don't have their DVD players set up for testing. Help.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I currently own the RP-56. I have had it for about two weeks now and have viewed around 6 movies on it. I was spellbound. The picture is flawless. The price is great.

As for the Toshiba, I have no info, but if my two cents are worth anything, stay away from the company until they resolve their horrible customer service practices.

You can get more info about the subject of progressive DVD players from http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-2-8-2001.html but I don't think the Toshiba was tested.

Best of luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I may just exchange my toshiba 3755 for the panny RP56 site/unseen since i've heard so much about it. I have a Sony Wega 36" flat screen TV (not HDTV ready). Will I be able to adjust the picture with the RP56 or can I only do this if i'm in Progressive mode? I've also heard of problems with DVD player automatically locking into widescreen mode or something like that? Will this be a problem? And how is the sound quality of the Panny 56? I am very particular about picture & sound qualities of a dvd player and it's adjustablility. Have you tweeked your player with your TV set? Will I be satisfied?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Regards,

Abbe

·
Registered
604 Posts
Abbe -

I think you need to reconsider the RP56 for your particular set.

I own the 56 and feed it into a 50" plasma, it is an awesome product for the money. But it is not well suited for non-progressive scan uses. It also has very few adjustments which will be of any value to you in this specific use.

Why are you considering progressive scan at all?

Check out the new Sony DVP-NS700P. It may be a better fit due to the way it performs with anamorphic source played back on a 4:3 screen. Read this review ...

http://www.dvdphd.com/reviews/sonydv...p_review.shtml

The "locking into full mode" applies to non-anamorphic DVDs and if your set allows you to make aspect control adjustments when fed such a disk.

I LOVE MY RP56 but in reading your comments I think you can do better for your specific uses. The Sony is a little more, but not much. Shop the web and the price will be pretty much a non issue.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
314 Posts
That's interesting. I have a 4:3 set(Toshiba TN55X81) and am getting ready to upgrade to a progressive player. The review seem to like the Sony on 4:3 sets. I had been leaning towards the Panny RP91.

Anyone have any comments on how the Panny performs on 4:3 sets?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.